Register now to get rid of these ads!

slant 4 cylinder engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Apr 10, 2012.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

my neighbor scraps metal and came across a slant 4 cylinder engine. it says international on the valve cover. the odd thing is, it's as big as a slant 6. the block is cracked and so are the exhaust ports so it's just junk to him. i was wondering if anybody knows when it was used and in what kind of vehicle it was in. it also doesn't say harvester anywhere on it either.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It very likely is the engine used in the original International Harvester Scout utility vehicle that came to market about 1960, It was, like Pontiac's slant 4 of the same era, "half" their V8. Which in IHC's case, is a physically very large engine, regardless of cubic inches. The 4 banger was about 196 cu in as I recall.

Ray

3. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

^ yup
    and you could use most of the speed parts from the v8, ..well .. half anyways. like
    the heads and headers and aftermarket valve covers.. same engine in the pontiac
    tempest. it's half a 304 V8 or half of a 390 V8..

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Just to clarify..........the International Scout 4 cyl engine is "half" an International 392 cu in V8.

The Pontiac Tempest 4 cyl engine is "half" a Pontiac 389 V8.........

They are two distinctly different engines, but engineered in similar manner.

Ray

5. R Pope

R Pope

Yep,half an IHC V8. Half a dog is....well, half a dog. Had a Scout with that engine, gutless and no economy. Its a leverite, leave 'er right where ya found 'er!

6. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

pontiac had a 'slant four' as well. Half a 389 V8. Used in the early 60s with transaxles in the rear. a car in a local junkyard here has one. was considering pulling it just as a conversation piece for the shop. mickey thompson used them with some success in land speed racing as I recall.

7. nfleone

nfleone

Some of the International V8s were used as engine driven compressors.
    One of the banks of cylinders were turned into a compressor powered by the other bank.
    There was on in a shop where I worked.

Nick

8. As I recall BOP had a slant 4 but the block was aluminum in the early 60's.... but my recall isnt the best!

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The original Model A replica was based on a Scout 4cyl chassis like this. It had an odd one piece body/fender/aprons/boards construction. The hood top was held down by jeep-style clips.

10. JEM

JEM

Not HAMB material necessarily but Triumph did an 'upscale' sports car that had a SOHC V8 in it; the Stag didn't last too long but they pulled the left-hand cylinder bank off of it and used the resulting four in the Dolomite and the TR7 and maybe others I don't know of.

They also sold those engines to Saab for the 99 starting in the late '60s, by the mid '70s Saab had taken production in-house and gradually engineered out the Britishness (the angle-cut deck like an MEL to permit the heads to be removed from the V8 in the Stag engine compartment, the jackshaft-driven water pump in the middle of the block, etc.), the basic design much-modified persisted until the late '90s.

11. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The IH 4 cylinders were actually just a V8 block with one bank machined off. This was done to cover up disruptions in the supply chain and still make vehicle delivery time lines. Supposedly some of those early 4's even had the V8 cranks still in them.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think that was marketed as the "Glassic"........had a 2 dr Phaeton/Touring body style. Still see one for sale once in awhile.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  13. tjmercury

tjmercury

They came in the Scout 80/800 and were kinda tempermental, but were a pretty good ennging once you got them dialed in. We rebuilt the one on aa buddy's little scout and went everywhere in it until it met a black cow on the highway, but that's another story.

14. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Not saying it wasn't done, I don't know one way or the other. The V-8 crank and cam would result in an erratic firing order with rough running and some inherent rotational imbalance.

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I held off commenting on the post you are referencing...but since you have...I agree with what you are implying.....I think that is a seriously misinformed "old wives tale". There are numerous reasons why that wouldn't be practical, even if it were economically possible, which I doubt.

Ray

16. A little off topic for this thread but for a while half a small block chevy was popular with the sportsman sprint car crowd. They were reverse rotation to help keep the left front wheel on the track. high dollar but they were real competetive.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I seen one of those motors in a short wheelbase metro step van.

18. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

thanks guys. that answers the question. the only scout i was ever a part of was a friend had one with a 480 in olds in it. i never saw what he took out of it.

19. sk_rodz

sk_rodz

Last year I sold a 1963 International c900 shortbed. These truck were made for fleet service. It came with a 152 cu. in. engine (half of a 304). this engine was also in the early Scouts. as far as I know, it was the only slant 4 that IH made. they were all mounted to a 3 speed top loader trans. they have a lot of low end torque, but not much else.
    [​IMG]

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

According to Wikipedia, the I-4 was made in both 152 and 196 cu in versions, the 152 in the earlest version. (there was even a 152 TURBO :eek:)

So, we both stand corrected.....I was incorrect about the size of the initial application in the Scout 80......but IHC did make a 196 a short time later.

Ray

21. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

I had that 4 cylinder in my '75 Scout that I bought new. I believe it was the 196 cu. in. It was very reliable, had good torque for its size, and not much HP. Was terrible on long hills (highway) but would climb any hill offroad while in low range 4WD. I drove it for eight years, kept it in great condition, and sold it for about $400 less than what I paid new - and it was stock. I'd always planned on dropping in a 327, but never did.

22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

They make a good anchor as does any International.

23. 55chevr

55chevr

the 4 cylinder Chevy's were called Cisco's as I recall. Midget'race engine in the 70-s

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Were you thinking of Sesco? In addition to them I remember there was at least one other shop that made significant numbers of them.

25. 55chevr

55chevr

Sesco it is ... it was 35 years ago

26. saltracer219

saltracer219

Some of those Scout 4 bangers were factory turbocharged. If I remember right it was the same turbo as the one that the Corvair used.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When I seen one I thought International used Pontiac 4s,never knew they made their own until now.

28. Hearseville

Hearseville
    from Gulf Coast

Seen one at a carshow last year. Here are some Pics.

Attached Files:

29. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Air compressors,...Ford flatheads were converted like that,...There was one on display at the Ford Museum,, in Sacramento. 4 cyls did the "running", the other 4 did the "compressing".

4TTRUK

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That's a "Glassic".........a "replica"/imitation of a '30 or so Ford Phaeton, built in Florida as I recall, back in the late '70s era and built with Scout running gear.

Ray