Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you run this bellhousing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, Apr 11, 2012.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Looking at pickup a bellhousing for my 1953 f100 with a flathead. I am looking at one now and it has had some repairs and unsure if I want it because of the repairs. What worries me the most is that the ear on the bellhousing is the repaired area and is a trans mount. From the pics do you think there is anything unsafe or anything that would make you not run it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Not to pretty but it looks like the guy knew what he was doing.
    I would run it and keep an eye on it.

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'd be worried that the localized heat might have shifted the mating surfaces, making it unsquare.

Input shafts like "square."

-Brad

4. I would check the flatness of the housing-engine mating surface. That amount of welding could have warped the piece......lots of residual stresses in that weld area. I would also check to make sure all the bolts and alignment pins mate up correctly.

5. sickytwisted

sickytwisted

I would, but I run flat tires too. :) I kid. No, really, it looks fine to me.

6. Looks ugly but I don't think you'll have any problems running that behind a flatty

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

How much is one that's not so ugly, can't be that rare?

8. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

I'd run it without a second thought

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Well, that in itself should tell you something.
    I'd think about a different kind of mounting arrangement if it was a one-year-only deal, and they're all cracked. Sounds like Ford figured there was a problem and changed it.

-Brad

10. Have you thought about using yours to cast a new one?

11. saratoga56

saratoga56
    from NY

It should be fine. I have seen worse and functioned fine.

12. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Why not just buy one from someone on the HAMB or the Barn? Ford made millions of em. I'd be worried about how square that thing is after taking that much heat.

13. I would run it only if I had to and keep looking until I found a better one. In other words go find a better one.

14. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

It is a one year only deal so semi rare but not sure how hard they are to find as I just started looking

That is a thought. I also will need the bellhousing modified for a t5 so something to think about.

This was a bell housing offered after putting a want ad up on the hamb. Have put up some wanted threads on some forums hoping to find one.

Thanks guys for the advice I will keep it in the back of my mind but more than likely pass and keep looking for a better one.

15. jack orchard

jack orchard

run it until you can replace it. then keep welded one for a spare. good luck....jack

16. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

That was easy!

17. I'd run it and not give it a second thought. I may check that everything lines up OK and make adjustments as necessary but other than that I would not let it bother me that it is welded.

18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Would you be able to cast one for him? I have a hunch you are knowledgable
    re: casting.

19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Was it welded or brazed? It kinda looks like brass in the pictures but colors can be different. If they were prone to breaking in that area, I might worry. Depends on how much abuse you plan to give it.

20. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I am not sure what was done.

My plan is to get a bell housing and have it modified like the y block guys for a t5. It will go behind a mostly stock 8ba. Down the road max I would plan is heads and cam but nothing major.

21. cffisher

cffisher

22. Looks like brass, it was a common way to repair them way back when.

Unless you put a pretty heavy load behind it it is not likely that you will break it with a flatty even a blown flatty. Its not like you are throwing a 427 cammer infront of it.

23. If it came out of something running, it should hold up to normal usage. I wonder how it broke in the first place but the repair looks good enough for me.

Bob

24. I've seen cast iron bellhousings break in badly crunched stock cars, just curious, not all castings are created equal.

Bob