Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Motor...good news/bad news

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAD PENNY, Mar 30, 2012.

1. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I got some good news and some bad news about a month ago. 1st the bad news...
    My brother Scott(327-365hp) and I started to tear down my motor for a clean up and re-paint. After pulling everything off for a look see we decided that it should be checked out by a Pro. So I called Dave's Auto Machine in Fitchburg (Dave50)and brought it up to him that afternoon. On the following Monday he called me with the bad news...it was pretty bad.
    The crank bearings were worn down to copper and the piston bores had ridges etc. etc. So it needs a total re-build. So what's the good news you ask ?? I didn't know either till Scott pointed out that we could of just painted it up and dropped it back in...and it probably would have blown up this summer...in the middle of the season. So, it's a good thing I guess.
    If anybody is int. I've posted progress pics on our re-do in "what's your winter project" .
    Picked the fresh motor up today and it looks great. We picked out a nice lumpy cam along with all the new "stuff". Now for some before and after pics.
    more car re-do 013.JPG

motor 004.JPG

motor 006.JPG

motor 007.JPG

done motor 001.JPG

done motor 002.JPG

2. bonesy

bonesy

Everything happens for a reason - better to know now rather than on the side of the road.

3. n847

n847

Bad Penny...Good news or bad news its all good now! Looks really good. Sorry you had the trouble but it is good you found out before it went south on the road!

4. exact same thing happened to me!feels good don't it? i felt the same as you better now then on a road trip..
    [​IMG]

5. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

n847...is all good except my bank account's M-T. How'd you make out with the Gennie shifter ???

glendale...your mill looks killer. Love the gold. Maybe I should have done mine like that.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What gold is that? Name, color code? Damn, that looks good.

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It's always the bad news that you hate to hear when tearing down your engine , but the good news is you will now have a New Engine to drive for many years to come !

Retro Jim

8. Always an adventure when you crack one open. I've seen good-running motors show up things like broken rings, piston ring lands, scored cranks, yet they ran like raped apes. Nice job getting it back together.

Bob

9. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Cool...It looks like you're coming along nice on it. Better now than later!

I can't wait to see it with the new front end in it!! :cool:

10. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I just can't say enough good things about Dave's Auto Machine in Fitchburg Ma. (Dave50) on here. He's was so easy to deal with and really knows his stuff !!!! I wouldn't hesitate to use him again or recommend him to anyone.

11. hotrodroadster32

hotrodroadster32
    from Mass

Good to see the progress.

12. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Turns out the motor had never been apart. With a date code of 1970, it must've had a gazillion miles on it. Dave took care of everything and I know it is going to run as good as it looks. The car is going to be a blast to drive with a 4 speed in it now.

13. Dave50

Dave50

Thanks Brett and Scott you both have been a pleasure to do buisness with. Brett It only hurts til the first ride, when your going through the gears and cruising all the work and money will be forgotten. You have a good piece.

14. n847

n847

Glendale... Now I'm regretting not putting some work into finding a gold paint that I liked! Thats killer! I wish I didn't have a week in getting mine blacked out!

BAD PENNY...I just bolted up the Gennie last weekend and I'm hopping to drop the trans and engine in the next week or so I can't wait see how it looks...Thanks again!
    I was wanting to get intouch with you I saw another thread about shift knobs I think and you had a knob that you made for that Gennie...Do you still have it and are you willing to part with it. I was thinking about finding something cool and it would be neat to reunite the knob with the shifter;)

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good save. I've got a 455 Olds sitting in the shed that looked the same way when I pulled the pan to reseal it and decided to check the bearings just because.

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks awesome! can't wait to see it out and about.

17. cakes

cakes

same thing happened to me, pulled it for a repaint and freshen up found out I spun a rod bearing. full rebuild time and this time with some new slugs and some other "minor work"
    Guess what its Gold too
    [​IMG]

18. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

WOW! That looks great!

19. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

We did some more work to the motor on Sunday. (yes on Easter) Dave50 came down to Scott's garage (327-365hp) to give us a hand. We installed the water pump, fly wheel, clutch, pressure plate and muncie on it, then dropped it in. Feels pretty good to see it back in it's home.
    more motor 004.JPG

more motor 005.JPG

more motor 006.JPG

20. n847

n847

That looks damn nice...I thought you were gonna redo the firewall? Its always a good feeling to get the motor back in its home! I got mine laid down last night!

21. flatoz

flatoz

How to have something that sux and is great in one thread.

at least you will be done and ready for the start of the season your brothers right on that.

big question is how many more parts are going to get painted or new parts as they look shabby compared to that motor!

22. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

We are doing the firewall over, just waiting on the piece to get here. Flatoz is right, spent the afternoon cleaning up the alternator brackets for a repaint. I tried to talk Brett into chroming it!!! Haha

23. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

That engine looks good sitting there.

24. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Everything else is new !!! I had replaced the starter, fuel pump, dist., coil and carb last year and bought a new alt. and water pump this spring. It's all good now...I hope.

25. Dave50

Dave50

It sure is purdy compared to this

Attached Files:

26. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Jeezze Dave...I hadn't seen that pic before, Thanks again.

27. Dave50

Dave50

Your welcome thank you for the buisness! But it must be that chrome water pump that is making it look so fine!!;)

28. n847

n847

Any more updates PENNY?

29. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Scott and I have been plugging away making slow but good progress. We got the toe board and floor done, the frame primed and painted, the new fire wall cover in and the motor and trannie dropped back in for the last time (I hope)
    Now we can install the new front end set up and radiator w/ grill shell. Still a lot of work to do inc. some under dash wiring, brake lines etc. etc.
    Thanks for the interest man !!!
    birthday hot rods 033.JPG

DSC00832.JPG

DSC00833.JPG

DSC00840.JPG

30. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Wow, look how clean that garage is! :D