Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 model a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NotNuRodz, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Toner283

Toner283

Cool Car, Great build. Looking forward to more pictures when you get it out into the sun.

2. VonKool13

VonKool13

I like everything except that ugly steering wheel. Keep on Keepin On!

3. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

I figured some people wouldn't like my steering wheel, I personally questioned it myself but wanted to get rid of the cheap reproduction banjo wheel. So last night I spent a few hours sanding and polishing out the center of the steering wheel and now I love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thing looks great but i must say; i like the banjo wheel. whether its cheap or not. just looks classy sitting against the dash as a backdrop. great job!

5. Perfect and it is unchopped!

6. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Nice build. Glad you built it to suit you not everyone else. What brand are your hairpins and how long are they?

7. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

Well guys I'm planning a small rebuild for this motor, new cam, 327 heads, and thats when the x1 6x2 intake will be put on. I promise! I really want to get it on before everyone starts running with the reproductions.

but for now I bought a new air cleaner just to cover up the ugly carb. So here is a picture of my hot rod next to my moms hot rod showing off the new air cleaner.
    [​IMG]

8. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

I got really bored tonight and decided to paint the middle of my grill black. My dad thought it would look hideous so I used plasti dip just incase it did look bad, I think it's a big improvement and makes my car look less like a cookie cutter hot rod.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I'll get better pictures out in the sunlight tomorrow but it's almost midnight now so not to much sunlight

9. chuxx

chuxx

Supercool build. I like the banjo wheel too, but it's your rod, man. Glad you didn't chop it, you should be about 6' 5" now, right?

10. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Man you gotta be the coolest dude in school! :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  11. Cool A, man. If you arnt done with that rebuild yet you should paint the firewall to match the wheels & dash

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Black grille looks better.. Cool coupe......

13. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

Don't worry that wheel in there now is already being replaced, I pulled the steering wheel off of a rusted out 59 el camino and I'm restoring it now to put in this car.

14. VonKool13

VonKool13

Cool idea on the wheel but I geuss I just have a hard-on for banjos.

15. Noland

Noland

looking good, I havent seen this thread in awhile glad to see you got it all together

16. Great coupe here, good eye for style & detail also.
    Dig the dash with centre mount gauge..
    Overall looks the goods.. Keep going, nice job..

17. 29ToyA

29ToyA

18. Big difference with 35 headlights and black grill. Looking good

19. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

Just found out today that my dad has a turbo 400 stashed away in one of his garages, would it be a good replacement for the power glide and would it be a simple swap?

20. Race@Rockets

Race@Rockets

400s are quite a bit bigger than glides, tunnel may have issues. A 350 trans isn't much longer than the glide so the crossmember bolts right up and it would have a better chance of clearing your tunnel. I also like the black grill almost looks like a comercial grill at first glance.

21. I just came across this thread.
    Very cool car and the story that goes with it.
    Be proud young man,
    You have earned it!

22. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

I was digging around in my dads stash of crap today (it's like my personal swap meet) and found some really cool bucket seats out of a 63 mercury comet.

The bench seat I had in my car was to tall and made the car very cramped. I considered just cutting foam out of the seat bottom but then there would have been a gap between the seat back and bottom.

I went ahead and test fitted the buckets and they are a perfect fit!
    [​IMG]

I think they even look really cool
    [​IMG]

Here are some before and after picture between the bench seat and the buckets

Before:
    [​IMG]

After (with 59 chevy steering wheel):
    [​IMG]

My dad and I were both shocked when we realized we could both fit in the car comfortably now!
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to get them recovered and finish up that 59 steering wheel. I'll also be getting rid of that over sized shifter when I eventually swap out the power glide for a turbo 350

23. BEAR

BEAR

allot better

24. turner

turner

like someone else said up there...don't sell it. EVER!

i sold my first truck, '59 Apache. regretted it ever since...

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i like the evolution of the car. those buckets are cool, and it's amazing the amount of space you gained.

now you have room for 3 pedals, if you are really bent on a transmission swap...

26. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

This car is going to evolve a lot over it's life. I started building it when I was 14 and obviously didn't put much thought into the details of the car. It's fun now though trying to gradually go back and make changes, it allows me to appreciate the car more and more, also I never get bored of it!

The seat position now is perfect for it if I wanted a clutch, but my pedal set up now it a little funky. I need to fix that next so my pedal location is comfortable and then maybe I'll swap in a 4 speed, I would really love that!

27. Dang kid! Lookin' really good. It's nice to see someone your age who "gets it". You've done a great job.

28. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Your doing a great build! Love the look of the Coupe.
    In the late 60's I used 65 Mustang seats Ansen swing
    pedals w/ hyd clutch, and 4 speed. It was very
    comfortable to drive. Go for it!

Rich

Attached Files:

• 4spd.jpg
      4spd.jpg
      File size:
      34.1 KB
      Views:
  29. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Love the coupe! Noticed the JOCO tag, where in JOCO are you from? I am in Olathe.