Register now to get rid of these ads!

shoebox crash=sad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

2. yeah the guys in that shoebox are members here im sure they dont need reminders

3. awsomeears

awsomeears

Booze and Speed don't mix.......

That steering wheel bent, made me cringe !!!

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

damn, that was a sharp ride.i totaled out one of my 55s back in the mid 80s.a old woman pulled out in front of me. man i was sick for months over that car.i still get mad about it after all these yrs.talk about not being able to let go!

5. Not sure you have all the facts. I might be wrong, but if I remember right Booze wasn't a factor. I think being tired was. Correct me if I'm wrong. I hope I'm not.

6. All that damage to the 49, and almost no damage to the semi. Unbelievable! :eek: That shoebox looks like James Dean's '55 Porsche after it hit.......a shoebox.

[​IMG]

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The plate of that Shoebox is a 1956 California plate. Reckon that 49-51 was titled as a 56 or the plate was just being "used" but the car was not registered? Either way something ain't right and insurance companies don't like things that ain't right.

8. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Built by Brad Masterson

[​IMG]

9. You're right is was a tired driver not a boozed driver. The semi trailer was on the side of the road stopped.

10. what is the story on this pic i know its supposed to be james dean seconds before his fatal crash is it real did george barris take this? i know he (george) was behind dean ...or is this just apretty good and creepy photoshop?

11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

This should be deleted before it gets out of hand. Some things are better left unposted.

12. happilyretired

happilyretired

That happened right out front of Engle Racing Cams, about 20 blocks from where I grew up as a kid in the 50's. No seat belts, easily detachable bucket show seats, evidently hit at a high rate of speed. Tragic for the guys......the heck with the custom car. Hope they are all right. Happens all the time.

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The owner spend days and nights getting his car ready for the Motorama. On the way home, he fell asleep at the wheel, if memory serves me correctly.

14. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Can't be a real photos of the crash, the Ford impacted the Porsche on the Driver's Side...

15. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

That James Dean photo must be a reenactment. The car that hit him was a shoebox coupe with '55 Pontiac sidetrim--a 1950, I believe. Definitely not a sedan as seen here.

And yes, the photo here shows the shoebox hitting him on the wrong side.

Also, Barris was not traveling with Dean when Dean was killed.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I remember that. Bummer

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Just saw the photo. How could anyone look at that and really think that was a snapshot from the actual occurrence? Too much reality tv I guess. Tis the modern world.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crash analysis indicated that the Ford hit Dean's 550 Spyder, not the other way around. Dean had the right-of-way.

19. BEAR

BEAR

Tabs were used on front and back from 1948 - 1953, then only on the back in 1954 & 1955.

20. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

awfully scary and sad

21. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

But maybe others do !

22. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

It was an accident. I am sure the guys that were involved don't need to be reminded of what was probably the worst night of thier lives. Nobody needs to see video of them or thier buddies on a backboard getting loaded into an ambulance.

23. ausbuick

ausbuick

i feel really ill now...
    RIP shoebox

24. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Wow ! Sad to see that!

25. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

I painted the "new style" plate to look like a 56 plate.

26. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

The car was registered but I think I remember Dave saying he canceled the insurance just weeks before the crash cause he was short of money. And yeah he wasn't drunk just sleeping. I think everyone would agree its better to be drunk behind the wheel than asleep.

27. I think your right but I don't seem to remember.