Register now to get rid of these ads!

For those who needs a roof skin for model A sedan...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clockwork31, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Bigjake

Bigjake

That looks great man, I expect to see an increase in roofless cherokees in wrecking yards soon. Great Idea.

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The car is pretty decent and the OP seems fairly skilled but is a late model square ribbed roof really H.A.M.B. material?

3. Ribs...No ribs....Reminds me of the story about a charter plane flying a group to Disneyworld... mid-flight,pilot blacks out,slumps down in seat..plane starts to fall outta the sky...everybody panics,screaming,praying ,general chaos...this one guy takes over the control,no flight training ,but uses what skill he has and lands the plane safely out in the desert...Some passengers praised him...some didn't say anything ,but this one sumbitch had the nerve to say...." but ,we were going to Disneyworld!!!!"

BTW Nice car..nice top....

Stan

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe he should have lied and said he fabbed it? Or perhaps said nothing at all?:confused: The man used his head and came up with a good idea to accomplish his goal. Reads HAMB friendly to me.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Not trying to be a jerk, just voicing my opinion as this is a public site. What is "traditional" about it other than he did it himself. I thought things were supposed to be more classic in style here rather than just another street rod site.

6. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

Did that at work a few months back. They don't like to bend with the curve of the roof but it can be done.

7. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

I detect a theme here. The old timers seem patently against it while the noobs mostly say go for it. And ya'll wonder why kids aren't gettin into "real" hotrods... Came out of a junkyard, re=purposed for his needs. THAT is as traditional as it gets folks.

And i just noticed, this post jumped me from FNG to inspector. : )

8. 3GFabs

3GFabs

Now thats really cool!

9. 39 Ford

39 Ford

YOUR CAR
    YOUR MONEY
    YOUR WAY
    Who gives a S--T about pleasing the masses!

10. jack orchard

jack orchard

i like it. something i wouldn't have thought of. i would have done it the hard way.thanks for the idea...jack

11. movingviolation

movingviolation

I like that alot! Now to score a roof skin like that for my sedan... and i really could care less what people think of my stuff... i'm the one who has to be happy! Great pics of the inside as well!!

12. hot rust

hot rust

food for thought, would it be more traditional by using a ribbed roof from say a 61-64 chevy wagon? it too has ribs, smaller in size though. i'm pretty sure someone back in the day covered the roof area with corrugated tin just so they wouldn't get wet. ( i have personally seen this on two vehicles used on the farm). and as another thought people complain about using something different on a car, but i thought hot rodding was about, utilizing what you have to build a car to have fun with. i've seen alot of angle iron used in the fabrication in the past i dont think henry did it that way either......just my .02

13. TeejDio

TeejDio
    from W.N.Y.

very cool, creative solutions are what make hot rodding fun!

14. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

We used a early dodge caravan roof on our 30 Sedan. Can't get pic to load but looks like the same rib line. Traditional or not it looks good!

15. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

16. KIRK

KIRK

I used the same thing on my 31 a few years ago. Even with no special skills it came out good. I guess I don't see what it matters what it came from as long as you are happy with it. Nice job and nice car. I think it looks good.

17. clockwork31

clockwork31

In a perfect world I would have a 100% traditional hot rod, you know, a hot rod with a 6 volts battery, builded without using a mig welder and without using internet to find parts... a REAL traditional hot rod with NO reproduction parts...:rolleyes:

I do my best to find "traditional parts" but sometimes I have to improvise or change my plans to achieve my goals. I found this truck, took measurements and I bought it for 150 bucks, took the roof off and sold the rest for 200. I never thought this would be a debate! Its just a piece of metal I've used from a random vehicle that happened to be the perfect fit to fill the top opening of my 31 henry body!

hey thanks for all the comments!!!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  18. deto

deto

If you would have done a bunch of bull shit photos making it look like you were fabbing a roof insert with ribs and taken the cherokee one down to bare metal and hit it good with scotch brite most of these guys would be blowing you.
    I highly doubt anybody would walk by the car at a show and say " man that would be cool but I totally recognize the roof ribbing. Cherokee."

19. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

I think it looks great! I will definitely keep that one in mind for a "maybe" on my sedan build.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahahahahaha!

21. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

When you follow the herd^^^^^^^^^ you'll always be letting someone else think for you.

Good job on using something different to accomplish your project.

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Whoa, pony! Are airbags and disc brakes and ...insert your OT here... HAMB material either? Like it or not there is a lot of street rodding here as well as low-rodding.

I know from experience that the top of a 71-80 Pinto/Bobcat station wagon makes a perfect fit for a 32 5W coupe, but sadly...no ribs.

23. pugh433

pugh433
    from toledo

Could not agree more. You should have stole a pic of a bead roller for you first pic. Then your second pic the roof in bare steel with a caption just saying "suck it!" and mentioned nothing of the Jeep. I bet you would have had your inbox full with orders.

24. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

roofs from 85 s-10 blazers fit perfectly.. by that i mean evean the suports match, the curve matches and you can get one with a roof rack.

25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, clockwork31;

Thanks. Good idea/execution. I like it. :) .

For all you Divas out there (Self-styled HAMB police/etc) - & you *may not* know who you are :

Why 90's jeep roofs? Or 90's Dodge caravan roofs?
    Or 80's S-10 roofs? Or 70's->80's Pinto roofs?

'Cause the F'g 60's Dodge/Ply/Chrys aren't on every street corner, waiting to be bought for $25.00 USD. Neither are the 50's->60's GM longroofs, or Fords. Or most any other make, for that matter; in case some of you Divas haven't noticed.

Sheesh... :D .

Marcus...

26. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Some are still earning their Way-Over-Reacting Ass badges (W.O.R.A.), just ignore them. A thinker's solution for your needs. Kinda like a REAL HOTRODDER would do!

27. clockwork31

clockwork31

W.O.R.A hahaha! I didn't know they had their association! :D Thanks my friend!

28. JEM

JEM

I draw the line there ;)

29. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

GREAT idea! Looks great!

30. And for the great idea we all ( well almost all ) thank you for sharing it with us. Looks like it was born there. as for the negative comments and then posting back and saying things like, "I'm not trying to be a jerk" well I'm afraid it's to late for that. Keep up the good work my friend.