Register now to get rid of these ads!

*outlaw garage*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JESSEJAMES, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauls fords

pauls fords

This 51 was going to be a slight mod rebuild with a 302,,,Because of you it became my first chop,,,complete build,,,very little money invested because I was taught to use parts from donor cars and not my wallet to build hand hammered,welded,shaped everything and even the side pipes are made from stainless pipe from old military commercial dishwashers [there is a guy up the road from me that scraps out military base,,,lots of cool stuff] now sports a 91 Lincoln 4.6 soch motor, steering,disc brakes, front suspension, wiring harness,,,and built it myself,,,THANKS TO YOUR SHOWS,,People Who Build Cars With Wallets Have Someone Else Build It For Them.

2. 1951Biff

1951Biff

Very cool man! Looking forward to it.
    God bless the USA!

3. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Almost missed the show, I had a tattoo appointment......lucky I was able to reschedule so I could watch........

Good luck with the show you A.S.S.'s.

4. lowride

lowride

Glad to see ya used a real body and not a Brookville. Agree that more film shoulda been used on the actual build with more detail. Good show overall.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish they would have spread it out over three or four shows and got more into the build and had less jabber and drama. Just turn Jesse loose in his home shop actually building a part for a rod every week and explaining how he does it step by step and you have a winner of a show. The prices of small used forges probably jumped last night.

6. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Good show, but was disturbed by the time crunch thing. Thought American Hot Rod was coming back. Hopefully, this won't happen in future shows. The whole tattoo thing could have been eliminated, and the time devoted to more details of the car.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's a 40 ford repro.

Super glue is what you want, it was developed for field sutures during nam.

8. Uh....

Why did I expect a documentary on the details of the build?

Pros: Cool employees, cool hot rods, cool shop

Bitches: JJ chages his situation to spend more time with his family yet places a deadline on the shop that (appears to) take the employees away from theirs. I'm all for going the extra mile but if/when this sort of thing becomes the norm it's time to move on.

Being a safety manager..... geesh. Bob with 2 incidents, jug hits a guy in the back of the head, another guy with his thumb all wrapped up. Texas being a federal OSHA governed state it's my guess that ASS is now on thier "radar". Any CEO who "gets it" knows that incidents lead to fines, lawsuits and poor plublicity. In real life for the shop to succeed JJ needs to be more proactive with safety.

9. Isn't drama apart of reality? Every successful business runs smoothly? It's not a technical show so if you want tech, turn the TV off and go to the garage.

10. Half-Fast

Half-Fast

You do realize that this was TV and therefore "staged"?

11. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Thats really cool of you to donate it :rolleyes:

12. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I liked the show. Was disappointed that when they cut to complete cars they were all street rods. I guess that was just the stock photos they had.

I hope the 32 roadster buil looks nothing like the one they kept flashing to

13. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

But did they?
    all we saw was a beat up old body coming and going on a flatbed,it left rusty and beat up,came back pristine and painted.
    I never saw any work done on the body,or any grinding,welding or anything.

How many tattooed guys does it take to stitch up a finger?

So,what we had was a combination of "house",american pickers,Dr. Phil and others..

House,stitching up a finger
    American pickers,stealing a steering shaft
    Dr.Phil,spending time with your kid (even though the kid wants to be inside playing with his phone)
    And on and on..

14. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Anybody with half a brain can figure out that the "mass tv viewing audience" does not tune in to watch someone grinding or welding. Would we like to see more of that? Of course we would. I guess some people are so miserable all they do is bitch bitch bitch... Geez

15. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

I'll watch until Discovery Channel has an episode where the crew goes out and has a paintball fight.

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Some people feel cooler when they bash something. Grade school logic usually proves this behavior is rooted in jealousy.

Luke stitching Bobs finger was funny as hell. The best part is that would have happened regardless of the cameras.

17. What Show:eek: I must of been watching "Leave It To Beaver":cool:

18. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

All drama, I know everyone knows or has known about the shop before J.J. showed up. They have been building top notch cars and they don't need to be exploited. My two cents, Jesse please don't mess it up. Keep it small and a part of Austin, they don't need an anex shop in Japan or any where else.

19. richie rebel

richie rebel

yep i agree with randy,never any work on the body,time crunch?,take two shows,i know its tv,i liked the show overall just my 2 cents

20. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

It was but did that little cut really need a stitch...........lol

21. I'm curious to see what will happen if this show takes off. Will we see every mid-life crisis case with a credit card buying up traditional rods, like we saw with the bke shows? I bet those guys who bought choppers and rode them a few times will sell their bikes and buy rods, only to drive them a few times. Could be a good thing for builders and shops, could be a bad thing for parts availability. I'm sure I'll get asked if my car is for sale even more now.....
    Popularity always dilutes quality, it seems. There were a lot of guys putting out crap bikes at the height of the chopper fad, and I bet the same will happen with rods should they become the hot thing to have.
    I dunno, maybe I just have a bad attitude.

22. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Exactly!

That makes it even funnier :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  23. Had to be better than Garage Gals over on Velocity :D

I saw that flipping through and my god, they were changing some strut bushing and it looked like they smeared grease all over their arms just for the apprearance???

I am jealous of the ASS. I wish I could play with Hot Rods full time and get paid to have a blast. Rock on.

24. LOL... yea

25. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I taped it last night and I'm now about 8 minutes into it. First observations.....those ongoing 1 second shots have always made me crazy. Artsy fartsy my ass. If it's "reality" TV, why's it so UNrealistic? Second, Jesse's giving the "talk" to his team and he won't let the old shop manager dude get a word in edgewise without interupting. Let the fucking guy talk for a second for Christ sakes. I'll be back with more

26. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Yeah I had one of those manager types that says yes to everything and never gets it done. JJ was right

27. easyrider47

easyrider47

I'd really like to see Jesse doing more hands on stuff, but the part where he teaches his son the art of welding was great and the part where he fitted the Duvall windshield at home. I'll be watching again...Cudos Jesse.

28. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Just give us a show about traditional rods being built and driven over a season with each show moving further on the projects.
    Kind of like a documentary of the Rolling Bones shop.
    That would make a good show and they go to work early....

Jesse seemed to arrive way later than everyone else. Wonder what his timecard looked like? He IS an employee,right? They always had to wait on him to get to work for his blessing.
    Was it really necessary to shoot video of his truck in traffic?
    Not one decent shot of the project cars wheels, chassis, bodywork or interior.
    I was hoping for so much more.

29. AA.classics

AA.classics

Wanted to read through this whole thread before voicing anything...not that I'm known or what I think or have to say means anything to anyone but me or my family.

That being said, here is what I have to say....

I watched the show.....and just like everything else in life....there was something to learn and be inspired by. My reason to watch was to see people i respect build cool shit and maybe see something I've never seen before! But what Really got me was Jesse's remarks about finding happiness and balance with the same struggles a lot of us face. Especially trying to find a way to bond with his son and knowing that it is on him. Those few minutes meant the world to me.....that was as real as you can be!
    Im trying to find that balance and have questioned if I'm on the right path...and seeing that even the best of the best go through the same shit, makes me want to try harder to be a better man!

So, thanks Jesse...Your craftsmanship and vision is beyond impressive and inspiring.....but I got something else from the show and I thank you for it!
    Mike

30. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

JJ sneaks off with a cordless cutof tool to take the column piece he needs off the abandoned IROC........FUCKING LOVED THAT!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.