Register now to get rid of these ads!

Airport Limo?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Aug 12, 2006.

1. guiseart

guiseart

2. Squablow

Squablow

I'm pretty sure the DeSoto "Suburban" was an extended wheelbase car with a longer body, just like the Chrysler Imperial 8 passenger cars. I know that's true of the 40's ones, a '51 DeSoto Suburban is a rare car indeed.

I highly doubt anyone did a limo conversion on one of these cars and only added 6 inches or so to the back doors. Airport limos have 6 or more doors and at least 3 rows of seats.

3. It may be a fleet or taxi-cab version. These often had longer a wheelbase and a roomier rear seat.

4. It could have been used as an airport limousine or a taxi,but it is essentially a formal limousine.They used a longer wheelbase and rear doors and had a set of jump seats that folded up into the front seat backs when not in use.The luggage rack on the roof seems to have been a standard accessory on Chryslers of that era.

You may or may not remember that Tom Bosley drove an earlier version on Happy Days.

Airport limousines usually had 6,8,or even 10 doors;most of which were non-functional.On an 8 door,usually the functional doors were the two front and two on the right side.The one between the right front and the third from the front was fixed for structural integrity of the body.

Here's a pic of an International 10 door I tried to buy in upstate New York several years ago.

Attached Files:

5. Barn-core

Barn-core

That's pretty bad ass with the suicide doors, and that great patina. You thinkin' of getting it?

6. had a weird experience in a LV airport limo once. Got married in the front, and 3 months later got divorced in the back. Really didn't think it was THAT big, but with the time involved I guess it must have been.

7. guiseart

guiseart

Just "watching" it right now... way too long for me, I like short shit. Cool though huh?

Yeah, yer right... airport taxis were made to haul at least ten people, this ain't long enough, it just struck me as a Limo when I saw it.

There's plenty 'nuff room in that back seat to put in a fridge and a bed!

I've been divorced in less!

8. JohnnyAngel

JohnnyAngel
    from Missouri

Use to be a 48 Desoto Subie running around this part of the country
    with a 350 chevy in it, two tone green with a luggage rack on the
    top, kool car. Lost track of it several years ago. As I remember
    the owner said the subie was 4 dr while the limo was 6.

Here is a Caddy I sectioned in PS, always wondered why there
    were not as many limos turned into customs or rods. Lots of
    room for the entire club to get in there.

Attached Files:

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The suburban was an extended wheelbase car available to anyone who wanted one. Remember the Howard Cunningham ( Richie's dad) car in Happy Days??? That was a Suburban. Wheelbase 124" I believe. 251 longblock (25 inch Flathead 6)

10. Rand Man

Rand Man

I thought the one Fonzie Hot-rodded was a Hemi. Didn't they trade the Suburban in on a later model DeSoto?

11. rokkapilly

rokkapilly
    from Finland

i have -66 8door new yorker airport limo here in finland

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have a winner:D the FNG digs up a six year old thread to answer. NO wonder the Ebay link was long dead.

13. Ridhithomas

Ridhithomas
    from Canada

Thanks great share. I suggest you canamlio that's providing you best airport limo service