Register now to get rid of these ads!

*outlaw garage*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JESSEJAMES, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool show,more drama........

I like going out to my shop at home and working at my own pace and able to lock up the shop for another session when I'm ready....can't imagine the drama.....

2. Jesse: Please, no more "Outlaw Garage"... We've BTDT......double please,more "Metal Church" Those were great...format & content was right on...

3. punkroder

punkroder
    from socal

What steering wheel built by Ford in the fortys, fits on a GM shaft?

4. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

what channel and what time? video didnt work for me..

5. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

I look at it like this. The "drama" that everyone is bitching about is just real life shit that happens on a daily basis to normal people, they were just there to capture it on camera.

The manager guy talking over Jesse. Dude didn't even look like he knew how to turn on a welder. Firing his ass was probably best for the shop anyways, regardless of the cameras bein there.

Bob cutting his finger. Happens ALL. THE. FUCKING. TIME. I don't know how many times I've cut my hands/fingers and just fucking flat out didn't want to go to the emergency room. Not for the sake of being under a time crunch but for the sake of not wanting to go sit in the damn waiting room with a bunch of sniveling, coughing people.

Kid wanting to get tattooed. I can understand that. I've got tattoos. Maybe he just made a bad decision wanting to go through with the appointment even though he knew they were under a tight deadline. Maybe that was a little fabricated for tv. Who fucking cares. It's not like the whole god damn show was about him getting tattooed. They briefly talked about it. When the kid got in the shop Jesse talked to him like a man, problem resolved and back to work.

I think the people that say "I don't have cable, I'm not gonna watch that shit." are the ones that immediately lump this show in with the OCC goofballs and they can't be pleased, so it's no big deal that they don't watch the fucking show anyways ! Haha !

After all my rambling....good job Jesse. I don't have to say keep it up because we already know your standards. The car looks amazing.

-Aaron

6. Black Primer

Black Primer

Gotta agree, more "metal church" less "outlaw garage".

7. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Great show, great story of your life so far JJ. No drama, just reality. No cutesy theme bikes, just cool ass cars. Also your talent shows the difference between you and anyone else building stuff on or off of TV. People can buy every single piece on the internet but hand forging the headlight posts is the passion you have. Can't wait to see the '32 in person. Keep it Real!!!!

Brian

8. Nice job Jesse! The '32 looks awesome! Bob's finger? Did that realy need a stitch? something like that only needs a band-aid so you don't bleed all over the car. Tape it up and back to work! I think that was a bit of drama for the lens, right!
    It looks like you have a good bunch of guys. Keep up the good work!

9. It walked a fine line between entertainment for the masses and keeping the interest of an enthusiast. Fine workmanship, and a cool place to work.

But, it was definitely 'Jesse James Garage'. Sorry, but Bob pointed out too many times that they had to "satisfy Jesse", "not embarrass Jesse", do "it for Jesse", etc. He's the 800 pound gorilla, that's how it got on the air. Perhaps they can throw in a few mentions that their work is 'for Austin Speed Shop'...

I will watch it on occasion.

Steve

10. Jesse, left my IROC parked by your place. You didn't notice anyone vandalizing it did you? .:D:D

11. Come to think of it that was an awful nice derelict.

12. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

I too liked it, and will keep watching, but although it goes against my personal rule of sharing an unsolicited opinion, I offer this suggestion....

I think there is an opportunity today to expose the perpetual TV watching zombies of America to the 'what it takes' to do something with your hands. I became a fan of yours when I watched you build a tank by hand. Its easy to love the finished bikes/cars, but everyone came to love/appreciate the efforts taken with the build. No one made anything with thier hands anymore, and they loved watching someone do it - you.

You have a talented group of guys there who have a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience to share, and be appreciated for. You said it last night, 'I could have bought re-pops of the original light mounts, but you felt it important to 'own' these by making them, with your own little touch. That is the spirit America could use a good reminder of, don't settle for what is available, dig down and learn/make it happen for your own standards, not someone else's. You have exposed millions to that in the past, and look at the amount of fabrication going on in home garage's and basements today.

I say great job, and please continue to use this show to educate couch lovers on the spirit of 'hands on for the sake of perfection'. It's a moral standard America was founded on, and could use a good reminder of.

13. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

If you run out of cars to build on the show... My 55 Nomad is patiently waiting here in the hamb classifieds. Good luck with the show!

Attached Files:

14. Too much dramma not enough car stuff. I would like to see more how to stuff.
    The stainless headlight mounts were great. That's the stuff!

15. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

It is one of those shows where I looked up at the clock and saw it was 9:50 and was bummed it was almost over.

16. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

so,what did they build...
    Hmmm,lets see...
    Jessie built some headlight brackets,i think.
    I never did see them finished,maybe i went to sleep?
    The car comes in on a flatbed,it goes out and comes back and some dumbass pours gas in the carbs and almost sets the shop on fire.
    They put one little stitch in a finger that needed masking tape only and a guy got fired and another dipshit took off work to get a tatto.
    Opra comes on at 4pm.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I was trying to think of any car shows that don't have goofy stuff going on, and the one that comes to mind is Hot Rod TV. Then, last night when I got home from the shop I turned on the TV and Two Guys Garage was on and realized it isn't all that bad either. Yeah, they feature sponsor's products but they have to pay the light bill, but generally they do show how to do things that some of might learn from.

From the mixed reviews on Outlaw Garage it's pretty apparent that the show (which I missed) did have some good fabrication going on but also some BS was tossed in to keep the masses happy. I can take a certain amount of that but when I see people getting shitty with the people they work with, pranks happening that have nothing to do with cars, and people bragging about how great they are, I hit the change channel button pretty fast.

That was the one thing I hated about the OCC Bike Buildoff, and why I online voted for Paul Jr's bike. Paul showed class and said good things about Jesse and his Dad, but the other two took the low road and went out of their way to say nasty things about their competition. If a person is really good and has confidence in their work they don't have to say a word, their work will speak for itself. Self praise stinks.

Don

18. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I dug it. I would have liked to seen some more credit and back story given to the ASS guys.

Austin Speed Shop is one of the shops I use as a bench mark for New England Speed & Custom. I'm looking forward to more episodes.

19. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I agree, Ease up on the "not to embarrass Jesse" "satisfy Jesse" and all the other crap about Jesse. Austin Speed Shop was in business before "Jesse" got there and will be after he leaves. But I will watch again, overall not bad.

20. It was better than the shit my wife normally watches. (Plastic Housewives of insert city)
    If it's got cars, bikes, or guns it's better than 90% of the other shit.

21. It was o.k., that's all I have to say about that....

22. jack orchard

jack orchard

my sentiments perzactly. a waste of time: 5 minutes spent on worries about the color. guys were clueless when motor didn't start. idiot kept pouring gas down the carb (but didn't pour any in the other carb) and tried to set the house on fire instead of trying to see why fuel wasn't being pumped. whole show was centered on how great jesse is...jack

23. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

From my take on the show--

It is to promote the shop. I did enjoy the show , I always enjoy you getting down to business and working,, your guys were portrayed as a Jolly band of retards that you have to babysit. Be-leave me I have my own Jolly band , that is just owning a business, but the finished product over shadowed the retard and showed they are a first rate group.

24. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

I watched it, but truthfully I wasn’t impressed. It’s Discovery and they’ll never produce the kind of show we will actually like. Heck, I’m surprised Mike Rowe was narrating. Same cheesy interview bits, someone getting fired, someone almost getting fired. I saw part of the fabrication of headlight mounts. I don’t understand why the co-owner kept saying he needed to impress Jesse. I would think the crew needed to impress him as well and for that fact that Jesse would have to impress the crew, too. Coming in and telling people you don’t know if you have confidence in them is a great work environment. The show was the same old crap. I think Jesse needs to break from Discovery and do a how-to show. Next it will be product placement. Oh and the thermostat wasn't sitting in the recess when someone tightened the housing, ask me how I know.

25. cheveey57

cheveey57

I agree, but
    Next time try crazy glue, it works even better on cuts.

26. Badillac56

Badillac56

Well...TV is all about ratings que no?
    You guys remember when scooter prices went through the roof? That was because of a TV show with Jesse building bad ass scooters. My bike would have been worth 12K back then now it's probably worth 7K. That was probably what 10? years ago. Maybe we'll see the price of hot rods and customs go up now. Good or bad I think it's cool that our hobby gets some air time.
    I'm kinda tired of flat black too. I like paint.
    I'm looking forward to checking out ASS during the roundup and hitting some of the other shops in Austin as well.
    I'll keep watching the show and changing the channel when OCC comes on.

27. KKustoms

KKustoms

Great show. Hands down the best Hot Rod themed show I have seen yet. Can't wait to see what comes next.

28. I watched it. Not too bad. I know it's the first episode, and the show will continue to evolve, but I would like to make a few constructive suggestions for future episodes.

*Spend less time on the continual reminding of the audience of the time crunch and the importance of pleasing Jesse. It's a business, we get it.

*I know that the first episode needs to spend some time on character development, but in future episodes, show more of the fabrication as it's being done, real-time.

*I have to admit that I was disappointed that when the car was finally able to fire up, it's like the show ended right there. It spent no time showing us the finished product. I wanted to see more of the interior, the undercarriage, the installation of the wheel covers, and the fit and finish of the body.

All in all, a pretty good effort right out of the box. Focus less on the people, and more on the product. I think that the secret to success on the show is to make the car the star.

29. Armandi

Armandi

Bummed that they turned 4 weeks of craftsmanship into 45 minutes. I do understand it was a pilot of sorts but still. I didn't get the whole stich scene...seriously? That wasn't even bleeding. I think the show needs to be more like the DVDs. Attention...discovery channel...people do want to see the actual builds!!!! The drama you want will be there too. Please don't squeeze an entire build into 45 minutes next time.

One thing I did love was JJ honesty about the struggle with the relationship with his son. Genuine moment between the two of them.

30. I watched the show, liked it. As far as the drama, well it's like going to a car show where there are cars that don't interest me, I look around them and go look at the ones I like. I'd like to see more fabrication, but just like the car shows, if drama is what it takes to keep it on the air, so be it. It's nice to see a fabricator as talented as Jesse back on TV, a little drama, so what, I'll be watching every week. Good luck to Jesse and all the guys at Austin Speed. The work you guys do is top notch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.