Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever see one of these?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woody, Jun 28, 2005.

1. woody

woody

I certainly have never seen one.

[​IMG]

2. So you find something really cool on EBay, then some fucker comes along and posts your something on a website of traditional Hot Rod enthusiasts. Approx. 600 gazillion people now have the item you are interested in on their watch list. A few of those people are very, very wealthy lurkers who collect rare parts and let them sit in display cases, never to see the road.

You get where I'm going w/ this champ?

3. sounds like this argument is ..........

Attached Files:

4. woody

woody

Yeah, I get it. I deleted the link. Pretty cool though huh?

5. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

sorry Tony but life's a bitch!! if someone was that into collecting this kinda stuff they'd likely be all over Ebay lookin for it already so it realy would'nt matter. i can see your point but it so unlikely that your gonna get some bargain price on some rare old piece on EBAY anyway. chances are anyone who is serious about buying such a piece is ALREADY watching it. you just have to bid like you want it. i know it sucks, i'm a poor bastard like alot of us on here and i often get WAY out bid on things i would realy like to have from Ebay.

but just to be on the safe side and be a little extra curteous you could do like he has already done and just post the pic. all i'm sayin is it likely would'nt make much difference, and yes i do see your point.

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well you type in "flathead manifold" and it pops right up so it's not like it was hidden with a misspelling or goofy category or anything. That's really the only time ebay tip-offs annoy me.

Anyone know any history on this piece? Coolest thing I notice about it offhand is that you won't have to go through the hassle of trimming the intake gasket for it to look clean.

Wonder how well it worked compared to other duals? The design seems simple enough for me to think if whizzerick was into flatheads as much as whizzers we'd see something similar come out of his shop. :)

7. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cool intake.........Item number: 4558741206

bengeltiger likes this.
  8. LMFAO

Ya got me Sodbuster:D :D

9. Hey not to steal the thread:confused: but what makes a Nicson flatfead mainfold go for $1200 - are they that rare?

10. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Maybe, you should repop them?

11. I am sick of speading the traditional hot rod gospel it just drives the price up cause all the kids that get garage magazine come on here and make posts like this

12. Stoner

Stoner

Well said, Slazzen!

STONER
    GARAGE magazine

13. I wouldn't worry too much. I predict in another 6 months to a year, the nostalgia hotrod craze will have run it's route with the "chainers" and we can go back to having and buying our parts for a fair price again......but I'd never put that in writing.
    DOH!

14. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

I saw the intake on e-bay along with several thousand others. he did't give away the location to your secret fishin hole or anything. Get my meaning?

Take it easy "Champ"

15. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Rocky,we can only hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Dirty2

Dirty2

I have been thinking the same thing eaven thinking of selling the sedan before the bottom falls out BUT I built it to drive and have fun so if I ever have to sell it I will prob, take a loss !!!

17. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

thats what i was thinking LAST summer,,i didnt see how it could get any more mainstream than it was then,,BUT IT HAS! hahahhaha:D

people i know who had no idea about anything traditional a year or two ago are either now building or wanting to build "RAT RODS"...its crazy the prices on all this "junk" are so high,,,

for instance..,,the "32" model A for sale i posted the thread about last week,,well,,i found out yesterday the dude that bought it is a friend ,the SAME friend who got rid of a nice running '55 nailhead to me last year cuz he wanted something more modern for his buick,..

18. Think there were also Shanafelt heads available for flatheads.

19. phatn40

phatn40
    from Illinois

I thought flatheads had the thermostats in the heads, not the intake.

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Thems ain't the thermostat hole, kid. Thems is the hole for the fuel pump stand. Tell me you didn't pour water down there!??!

"if whizzerick was into flatheads as much as whizzers..."

Yeah--that guy needs some less esoteric interests so we can all be driving Special Hamb Edition aluminum block Arduns....

"I predict in another 6 months to a year, the nostalgia hotrod craze will have run it's route with the "chainers" and we can go..."

Yeah..."American Rodder", March 2006..."Installing a power cowl vent opener with digital readout of opening angle in your ratrod"..."Getting off-peach wetlook to stick over cheap black primer"...the skull and Gothic cross people will be getting tattoos that look like that cartoon in the back of Street Rodder...HAMB T shirts will be selling like hotcakes in Neiman Marcus...

21. rws32000

rws32000

Actually I have seen one and a lot more. My uncle Bill (William) started this company Shanafelt right after the war (WWII) to build Ford flathead speed equipment. This is one of his. Bill never got very far in the development of the company, just long enough to produce a few years worth of stuff. Then the company turned into a house of cards. Bill passed on about 10 years ago never spending another day involved in speed equipment.

22. Cool. This is why things shouldn't be secretive, like someone suggested in the 2nd post on this thread :rolleyes:.

Thanks,
    Kurt

23. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Portland based operation ?

24. Weasel

Weasel

My bat, my ball and you can't play - somebody shit on your turf eh?

Life's not fair - get over it...Bill Gates

25. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

That's funny Bruce :D

26. BigRedDude

BigRedDude

Some of you "Traditional" Guys need to get out more...

40fordtudor likes this.
  27. rws32000

rws32000

Shanafelt built manifolds, intake and exhaust, all for flatty's. The company was only around for a few years just after the war, 1946 to maybe 1948. The company was started by my uncle Bill Shanafelt out of Portland, Oregon. Bill passed on a few years ago and took all his money with him.

28. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

LMFAO

29. I love posts like this. It drew out Bill Shanafelt's nephew to give me some info I never knew. More input, more input. Hot rod history. Got to love it. As for Johnny come latelys stealing all the old rod parts out from under us. I am 58, so a lot of guys on here have ruined it for guys like me that have always been traditional. But then on the other hand I love seeing all the new traditional builds. So the problem was what??? Pat

30. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Not to hijack...if thats possible on this one...but there IS a thread on "rare parts" that I'm sure a TON of lurkers have been checklisting for parts at the bay! If you guys don't want people to find it, don't say its worth something. The unwashed eat whatever you give em. Starve em and then the problem is solved. In fact, new creed! "STARVE THE UNWASHED!":D:D

My two cents.

Brian