Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods v. Sports Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Beau

Beau

I agree.

2. buckd

buckd

Yea Thats why guys were putting Jag irs & ifs under there Hot Rods back in the day. You ask me they were building cars that could handle; out of American iron;)BUCKD

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

except for the Jaguar parts :D A straight axle car can handle well on a smooth road.

4. A pair of 1959 MGA's one with an engine and one without... both have knock-offs and titled for $3500! Not bad if you Rod one out and sell the other it's possible to be in one fairly inexpensively!:cool:

5. johnod

johnod

Ahh nice, far from me though.:)

6. rick finch

rick finch

7. rick finch

rick finch

8. skywolf

skywolf

Before the Cobra, Carroll Shelby, Jim Hall and Gary Laughlin had three 1959 Corvette chassis bodied by Carrozzeria Scaglietti in Modena, Italy. The three Texans hoped to put the car into production but the powers at GM didn't think that was such a great idea. Only three were ever built, their aluminum bodies styled after the beautiful Ferrari Tour De France.

[​IMG]

9. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Mr. Finch you sir have hit the proverbial nail on the head right there:D:D:D

10. 1949 Hot Rod Article
    [​IMG]

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Amen to that. Gary

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

WOW WOW WOW WOW, and WOW! Please tell me you have the rest of the story to scan and post from page 29! The Khougas roaster is one of my all time favorite rods, so I was amazed to see it in this article. I may have to start collecting old HR mags... Thanx, Gary

13. Oops! sorry! Yeah I forgot the 2nd pg.

[​IMG]

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Jimmy, thanx SO much for the second page! Even more amazing... the winner even beat Phil Hill!!! I wonder if there is a way to research this event a bit more and possibly find photos of all the cars that raced. Anyone? Gary

15. johnod

johnod

You don't often see Talbot Lagos being drifted around a turn,I like it.
    Bet it's been a while now since it was done the last time.

16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yes, I know that. It was supposed to be a joke, but apparently it got lost on some.

In America, our manufacturers back in the day (especially the 50s and 60s) put out sixes and eights in most of our cars. If someone bought one of those european sports cars it often had a four or a twelve.

Feel better now?

17. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

If you can buy them that cheap you need to get them. MGAs are going for serious money now days. Same with Austin-Healys.

18. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

It's hard not to see a HOT ROD in Ken Mile's Flying Shingle MG!!!!

Attached Files:

19. WOW, great thread, missed it at the start. There has certainly been a lot of crossover interest through the years that is not as pronounced now, with a few exceptions. Many great names mentioned. And in that old mag' story, is that Alan Moss of Moss Motors, the MG/AH place?
    As for myself, I raced a RHD Bugeye & MG Midget in SCCA, an A40 Farina in NASCAR Mini-Stock and had a run at Bonneville in a Falcon. Now I have a Harley, a Guzzi and an old F600 flatbed, go figger'. :rolleyes:

20. Ah, the Tiger. I owned one (1965 Mk1) for 18 years. It was a love/frustration relationship (never hated it though). A fun and comfortable car, but unless you upgrade either nothing or EVERYTHING mechanical, it will let you down. With a mild 302 and 5-speed, but stock brakes, steering, and radiator, it was a handfull until the carb vapor locked. I did everything I could think of to cool the engine short of a $400 custom aluminum radiator, but still it would vapor lock after a highway drive (sometimes low speed too). Dead stock they were OK most of the time.

If you want a V8 British car that looks good, start with a cheaper MG or a better looking XKE conversion.

Steve

21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a fellow Hamber in San Diego who is building an awesome MGB with a late model Corvett power train. Definately a sports car AND a hot rod. He has a build thread on the MG v8 forum. Worth checking out.

22. cadman89

cadman89

I was into sports cars and hot rods at the same time. I built what I called a Sports Car but others might call a Hot Rod. It ws a fiberglass 32 Austin with a 350 Chevy and Munsie 4 speed with a 8" ford rear with 3:56 gears. I got the body and wheels out of Billy Belmont's speed shop in Dedham MA. The frame I messed up was fixed up by Roland Lindblad and his brother made the 4 foot long hood.

[​IMG]

I painted it British race Green and Blasted the chrome off the wheels and painted them yellow.

Here I a picture of my wife Kelly and the car the day I sold it and moved to Florida.

[​IMG]

I have seen the car.. it now lives here in Florida but looks very little like it did when I built it. It now looks like a HOT ROD!

[​IMG]

23. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

That'd be Jim Stabe's car shown here in the Hot Rod engine swapping guide:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the link to the latest iteration:

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581

24. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

It's funny because I posted pictures of my car in this thread and they were taken out because they weren't "HAMB appropriate"

There is a link to Part 2 contained in that link above and that shows my latest bout with mental illness. I bought a Vortech supercharger for it. Does anyone really need 500+ hp in a 2400 lb, 91" wheelbase car?

25. alchemy

alchemy

Since I wasn't going to finish my almost-16-years-old daughter's lakester '26 T anytime soon, I bought her a '73 MG Midget. I've gotta admit it is fun to drive. It's like sitting on a skateboard going 40 MPH around the curves.

But I'm still a hot rodder at heart.

26. PRB

PRB
    from Az

I'd never heard that way to sort them out.
    6 cyl SC's all over the place...Maserati,Ferrari,Austin Healy,Triumph,Jaguar,Buggatti,etc, etc,

27. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

This roadster pretty well dominated the SCCA "C" class in the NW in the mid 50's.
    296 flathead Ford engine.
    It would really eat the gull wings and C Jags.

Attached Files:

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I hope to get to build one some day (doubtful I'd ever own a survivor car to restore), but I can't quite decide on the style or period yet. I like all kinds of hot rods and race cars, and like to liberate little ideas and concepts when I can from cars of all eras. I like the American fender-less speedsters and racers from the 20's thru to the 60's and / or their Euro cousins. With or without cycle fenders, no matter. A build like this would just be a light, simple car with an exposed frame and everything in the wind. I do plan on having some sort of detachable hard top and rollup windows - coupe, sport coupe or modified Cabriolet, whatever, for long trips and all weather rallies. Something I might be able to enter in Corky's Great American Race and not wear a rain suit! It will have with oval track inspired running gear. It could be a single seater, a narrow car with a set-back rider mech seat, or a regular two seater.

I also like track roadster styled cars (and modified coupes!), from single seat oval racers to cars like Duffy's 184. You could build one as a stripper, or a really nice one like Neal East's or recent Moal builds. The cover car on the new SR come to mind, the AMBR winner of Lindig / Howerton. WOW. But that kind of build is out of my price range. However, I do think that once the car gets a little bigger you are now going to start talking about cars with attached rear fenders, i.e. Cobra, Cheetah, Kurtis, Scarab, or the Euro sports cars, etc. and more of a proper sports car IMHO. Built and raced by rodders in the day, no doubt, but they are starting to be another animal altogether, eh?

Lastly, I'm also a fan of the 50-60's show rods, like Ala Kart, and the classic Indy roadsters. So, I've been sketching ideas that would combine a low body, molded in stuff like quad headlights and rear fender tips with tail lights for a sleeker, custom / even lakes styled body. I also like the new Zipper roadster hoods and noses, for example. This kind of build would depart a lot from any vestigial production car shape / grille shells and I'd also try to keep as much suspension inboard of the frame and out of the wind as I could. It would be like merging an Indy roadster, a show car and even aspects of a lakes racer.

Time will tell.... Gary

29. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i've always thought of hot rods as kind of klunky but fast in a stright line, while a sports car having a smaller higher revving engine with a 50/50 weight bal. and more emphasis on handeling.

30. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I built this many years ago in between hot rods. It was great fun to drive and I miss it as much as any car I've ever owned.[​IMG]