Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info Sought- 1932 Ford Cabriolet- Old New York Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammeredt, Dec 11, 2011.

1. F&J

F&J

Wow, that one is tits.. it's about the best oldie rod highboy 32 cabriolet I have seen..if not the best.

The w/s posts are leaned back pretty good; I thought that was a "new thing" :)

Nice padded Carson? top, too.

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah, it was owned by Albert Berton from CT somewhere. it's a Hauser built Carson top.

i got the pic from the Kustomramag wiki page, but i think it was initially published in Cool Cars, Square Roll Bars.

Dave Simard owns the body now.

3. Thanks! Mine's going under the chop sometime in the not too distant future. I'd love to see what you did, because if I can retain the speaker grille width...

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you go down to the local newstand buy the current issue of SRP, turn to page 105 and there it is in the feature on Dave Simard.:)

Attached Files:

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

6. Noland

Noland

cool, glad to see someone on the hamb bought this car. good luck with it. just like I tell everyone nothing metal and a welder can fix. your going to have a awesome car when your done.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry, should have stated it is the Street Rodder magazine attempt at a Rodders Journal type magazine Street Rod Premium = SRP. Good magazine, Stop and Shop has it here. :)

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i'll have to grab it. i enjoy stalking dave.

9. showrod

showrod

interesting...

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

He's a good guy, I had no idea the had a "collection".:)

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

oh. yeah, he has heck of a collection.

12. hammeredt

hammeredt

Nolan,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Showrod,

Thats pretty darn close. Any info on that one?

I took some glass cleaner to the paint on the cowl today. Turns out my cabriolet was blue, not black.

At F&J's suggestion, here are some pics from the original add. He thought they showed the essence of the car better than my images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  13. Noland

Noland

not a problem, me also being a east coaster Ive had to deal with alittle rust to get a car you want at a price you can afford

14. F&J

F&J

Did you talk to the NY seller, to find out who he got it from? If you could track it to a certain town, that would help a lot.

If a hamber saw his town listed in a ID request, he'd ask everyone in town, I'd bet.

It must have been dragged out from the woods in recent times, otherwise it would have been taken all apart by now. Wherever it sat for decades, may be near where it was built.

15. Almost looks like it went thru a brush fire or was submerged in water. Pretty heavy and consistent rusting. Still a neat find though. Have fun.

16. F&J

F&J

I'm looking at the front bone taper at the back end. I almost want to say they used the Ford "big truck" tierod clips and big joints? That would have the bigger OD tube to blend into the shorty 32 bone.

17. hammeredt

hammeredt

F&J I also looked into the bones. The Khougaz roadster used 35-40 front bones according to Rodderboy. It seems as though they are blended. The tierods are big and have a grease fitting in the side. I will look into big truck ones. I would like to use the same type if I can find them.

Nice Avatar. Don't get distracted :)

18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wow, some fine looking Cabriolets and really love them. Its a great spring car for crazy weather and long trips . I really look forward to see your build. I am tall so I like the body on top of the rails just for leg room and more luggage or hot peppers:D.

Attached Files:

19. I'm pretty sure this car belonged to Chet Borys from Chicago's southwest suburbs. It was featured in one of the "little books", perhaps Rodding & Restyling. It was a cover car (engine closeup). That's Chet ("Sonny") in the pic with his sister. Sadly Chet passed a couple of years ago. He used to stop in my sign shop from time-to-time and I saw him frequently at the Nat's North in K'Zoo - he was always looking for "his" car or any information on it. He desperately wanted to find it and buy it back.

20. hammeredt

hammeredt

Oldbobsign,

Thanks for the info. I would hate to think a car that nice would end up in the condition of mine.

F&J

Here is a pic of the front bone. It is most likely the original '32 bone split and shortened.

J-

Attached Files:

21. showrod

showrod

yes Bob that is sonny's car. the picture is from a custom rodder mag (little pages) I had the pleasure of talking to him a couple of years ago. he was quite suprised that I knew of him and his cabriolet. (I am much younger)
    but some cars leave an impression.
    sonny was in the bearing busters c.c.
    I want to say his car had a columbia 2 speed as well. sorry to hear he is gone.
    with the newer pics it seems hammeredT's car has got a heavier channel job.
    if nothing else Sonny's car is good inspiration for this thread and a reminder how neat hot roddded deuce cabriolets are.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  22. hammeredt

hammeredt

Showrod,

Do you know what issue Custom Rodder Sonny's car was in?

23. showrod

showrod

give me a little time and i will find it. but that is is the only picture of it in the book.
    the story is about the club he was in and shows all there cars.
    it says it is in primer in the comment and has '53 merc engine.

24. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

hi Jeff, Real cool find! I'm amaze how much factory 32 ford stuff is still on it! your tie rods are heavy ford truck. I love the overdrive rear axle. but I didn't see any signs of a chevy v8. I can't tell what if had for an engine or trans. Jared

25. JJK

JJK

Any updates???

26. F&J

F&J

X2...

and I have the cut-off tubes from my front bones for you, if 32 inches will work. Just the tubes, no bungs or perch yokes.

i'll be up in Fitchburg for the V8 swap...or RevKev was thinking about stopping by here..

BTW, I really like that channeled car of Chet "Sonny", above. It looks cool with a unchopped W/S and I don't know why.

27. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

x3 what's up Jeff? anything new?

28. NORSON

NORSON

The subject of Molassas rust removal was mentioned. I've used it on several bodies and it works great. A good thread on it is "serious rust removal". I included some of the parts I had cleaned and how I did it. One of the cars I'm working on Is a 68c late '31 Cabriolet. It's very close to yours condition wise.
    I've found that I can use parts of '31 Briggs sedan doors and cowls for donor pieces. I have the same issue with the w/s posts and door posts. I'm going to make the replacement skins. I've always wanted a '32 Cabriolet since I passed on one in '65 ($600) and the '31 is as close as I can come. I figure that it doesn't matter much whether the patch panels are 4 inches tall or a foot. You did good in grabbing it. Norm

Attached Files:

29. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Are the 32 cabriolet quarters the same as a Roadster or 5W ones?

30. F&J

F&J

No.

Cabriolet doors are longer than the 5w

Cabriolet does not have the raised bead along each side of the decklid. It is smooth there, just like the 3w deck. 3w quarters won't work because the 3w body is wider at the rear wheels.

Roadster quarters won't work because the profiles above the rear fenders are very diiferent.

5w quarters or sport coupe quarters, are the best donor metal, but still not a direct swap.