Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you let your kids drive your hot rod???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jvo, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

During the 5 years it took my Son to build his rpu I would occasionally let him drive my roadster just to keep his spirits up and let him know what it would be like when he was done with his own car. He wouild put up a half hearted argument but in the end he would take the keys and drive us home. :) His Brother would also let him drive his T bucket sometimes for the same reasons. He usually was grinning ear to ear during those little drives.

When you are in the middle of one of these multi year projects it seems the end will never come and it is helpful to actually get to drive one and see how good it feels going down the road.

Don

2. oZ 57 2 DOOR

oZ 57 2 DOOR

Dog Dish I understand what you are saying. Yours has obviously watched you and copied. Mine are still learning. I see no reason why they should not be able to have a go at the wheel. If it keeps the passion running why not? We need to keep the younger ones keen.
    Mine will not drive anything I own without me next to them. Why say not at all?

3. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

they have---I've never seen them do it.

4. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Nope my girls are grown and aren't much interested in hot rods.

5. screwball

screwball

my 17 year old bought his own old car before he got his license. I would have no problem letting him drive my car he has grown up at car shows. He started building low rider bikes as soon as he could turn a wrench he has my respect and knows how to be responsible.

6. farmer12

farmer12

When my oldest has his drivers licence, I'm going to let him drive mine for sure. It's meant to be driven! I just hope to have the car finished in time.

7. My son took the 1939 Ford coupe to his Senior Prom, drove the OT 1966 Mustang a lot-

8. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both my son's have driven all my cars including my 32, they are in their 30's now and I hear an ocasinal story about how hard it was t get the rubber off the quarter panels of my 66 428 SCJ 4spd Fairlane. We laugh now but if I had known at the time they would have gotten the wrath of dad on them for not taking me a long.

Attached Files:

9. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

I taught my 17 year old daughter to drive a stick in mine.

A couple of years ago she decided she wanted a car. There was an old 63 beetle parked down the street.

One day she walked down and made an offer on it with her own money.

That weekend she asked me to help her get it home.

She spends her Saturdays working on it and plans to have it done for her senior year this fall.

She won't let me spend any money on it or it would already be done, she is on her own pay as you go plan.

I know it is off topic but here is a pic of her in the car the day we brought it home.

Attached Files:

10. Both son's have driven the '57 at least once, but not before they got past 25 years. The oldest has the interest in cars more than the younger one. And #1 just got a '66 T-Bird by way of his grandparents who bought it brand new! He drives it and that is as it should be.

11. My son drives the '29 anytime he wants. It's a father son project.

12. derbydad276

derbydad276

my 17 year old son went with me when I picked up my F100 and stole it from me !

and wont give it back! all his friends love it and tell him how cool he looks in it

and it has caused several of his frinds to want classics

and now my 14 year old daughter wants it next and wants to paint it her self

so in about 5 years Ill get it back

and be able to do it up the way I want to

13. charlieb66

charlieb66

Let my son drive my 54 Ford Sedan Delivery about 10 years ago. Now I get to see it every time I go visit. Dosen't really matter, I can't drive but one at a time anyway.

14. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Exactically, Back when I was a kid i had a GM key from a '64 buick or something that fit the '57 ignition, used to take it out and take girls out for dates then be back home before my dad was off work. I have a "hunch" that the same thing has happened to my OT daily Lincoln mark VIII when the motor "mysteriously" blew up at 46,xxx miles. (And quad cam 4.6 mod motors aren't cheap)

15. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

i let mine do it,when they are home.my insurance used to say no,but the boys records have cleared up!

16. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I'll let him behind the wheel any time he wants, I just need a few minutes to remove it from the car first. :D

17. My boys drove my 30 coupe to school and all over town. They wouldn't do anything to it that I didn't do. And now all their buddies still ask 20 years later, if I still have the coupe ( I do ) They all have memories of that car, some I probably don't want to know about. But why have something, if you don't enjoy it. Now both my boys have cars of their own, and they race dirt track modifieds too. I guess if you plant a bean you get a bean. Steve

18. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Whenever I think of kids driving hot rods I think of HAMBAndy. He was one of the coolest.
    [​IMG]

19. My girls aren't old enough YET. They both love the car, although I don't want them growing up any faster, I will be very proud the day one of the slide behind the wheel.

20. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Taught my oldest to drive a stick yesterday in my 49......

Attached Files:

21. Faus

Faus

Right now my kids are too young for such things (2,1, expecting soon) but when they're old enough and I teach them, can trust them, and trust the cars, I'll let them drive the cars.

22. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

My son 16 drives all of mine and my dads cars, trucks we own. They are just cars so we enjoy them. Hes choppin at the bit to drive my blown 26 I guess he'll drive it as well. I'll just put the 3500 pill in the msd lol

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I will when the time comes for sure. I actually plan on giving my 33 and 32 to my kids when they get married if they're still worth anything. One of the reasons I love hot rods and customs is it's so family oriented. So when the time comes and my son show's he responsible enough I'll throw him the keys......I mean nothing I own is fast or will be that fast anyways. He could get into more trouble with my wife's Passat 2.0t wagon haha!!

24. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

my daughter drives my cars whenever she wants to. always has. she uses my 57 pickup as her own utility vehicle/moving van all the time. she's been raised to be a hot rodder and she has a knack for it!

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Not yet But I did teach Frances (8) how to start it. She can't quite reach the pedals yet but when she can, She'll get to drive it in the big open lot down the street...

26. MISCONSTUDE

MISCONSTUDE

My oldest son has been driving my hot rod since he was 17. Ran a 13.30 at San Antonio on his 17th b-day. He's 20 now and he went 12.30 at Little River the other night. He's like a kid in a candy shop when he drives that car:).

27. Leckemby

Leckemby

Sadly my son is more responsible than me.....

28. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

I have let my son drive both of mine, but he is not a mechanic and thinks if you tear it up, someone will fix it and he wont have to. Not my favorite thing to do. Someday he will grow out of it and be more responsible I hope and then things will change.

29. cadman89

cadman89

I don't have any kids but the wife drives all the cars anytime she wants...

[​IMG]

30. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

It wasn't a Hot rod but a bike, my Dads Vincent Black Shadow. I come from a biking family, everyone's rode bikes. Fom being strapped to my Dad as a baby and being blasted around ( Mum must have been having kittens watching that), to playing on dirt bikes as a teenager or having a patch wearing outlaw biker as a brother, i grew up on a bike and always surrounded by projects. When i passed my bike test my Dad handed me the keys to his Vincent. The ultimate gesture from my Dad, almost like going from boy to man, he trusted me with his bike he loved more than anything. He still has it now and keep taunting him that one night i'll rob it and turn it into a nice little Bobber:D