Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mig experts...best gas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movingviolation, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I don't care about his opinion, I just don't care to be called an idiot while a)... passing along experience based information to my friend, Leon, and, b)... being called one by a guy that gets his information from google and wiki and pretends to know things. That's not being a hot rodder, or a steelworker... just a guy with a computer pipin' off.

JOE:cool:

2. snaptwo

snaptwo

We used to get some stuff from our supplier called "Murex" that was uncoated, didn't care for it personally. The best copper coated wire I ever ran was some "ESAB" , even on straight CO2, ran great ! Just my dose centavos , and don't want to be known as an ex-spurt.

3. F&J

F&J

Best answer yet. :D

...but then again...are you using the "correct" disc? :confused::rolleyes:

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you make a good looking bead, without excessive spatter, you won't need to grind it.

Just stand back and be proud of your work.

5. Good advice... in some context... like maybe a structural plant or a nuclear reactor.... but in the 'real world' most guys can't afford to throw out a spool of wire because it's rusty. That rust, I believe, is a much worse contaminant to welds. The gas in question is intended to purge, among other things, oxygen from the weld zone... to prevent oxidation. What is rust? FeO2... Iron and oxygen sharing an electron or two. Now jam that right into your weld puddle and run some electricity through it. Most guys on here are garage mechanics and a spool might sit on their machine for 6 moths or a year... not like in a structural plant or factory where it gets used quickly enough to be a non-issue. Most metal (especially in this hobby) has some oil on it. Be it cutting oil from drilling and machining, or caked on motor oil and gear lube on a transmission cross member. I don't think a microscopic amount of WD-40 residue will ever add up to a difference.

Now, I don't believe you should douche the spool to where it's dripping off. I said "a little shot", or "a fine mist". Having a wiper pinched around the wire cleans it off nicely. Any tiny amount is no different than the trace amounts that might already be on the metal. I'll keep doing it... mostly because I have no use for thousands of feet of rusty welding wire, and I've seen what it does to my welds.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Where do these idiots come from? I guess maybe they don't have real welding supply houses up there in Canada. :rolleyes:

And you start seeing more of it when you start dealing with things other than mild steel.

Don't go Joe, you are much more valuable to the HAMB then some douche.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy smaller spools, or weld more. I can kill 35lbs. of wire, per week, easy. Rusty wire is not an issue. Perfect welds are. And, no, nothing I weld is anything but completely clean.

Take the time to do it right.

8. Thanks ZMAN. I'm sure I'll be a-lurkin'.

9. movingviolation

movingviolation

JOE!
    Ahhhhhh there is part of the team responsible for the HAMBANDY build! A great guy and an asset to the site forsure! So, my question wasnt to be a bashing thread.....holy fak!

I am a novice welder at best and i could care fak'n less if i grind off the splatter.... christ, i make a mess with almig!

So thanks for all the advise... and to my good buddy Joe, who is as honest as they get (and i know this better than anyone).... stick around and make the site interesting!!!!

Leon

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use 75/25 mix. I get a fantastic discount through my work, and an 80 lb. bottle costs me under $14, so hard to make do with other gas.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So yes, you can buy bare MIG wire, non copper coated. Not much call for it in most of the industry around here.
    I still stand by what I said regarding the gas. And the fact that it is a bad idea in general to spray anything on your welding wire, bare or otherwise.
    Are we having fun yet ? :)

I spent most of the day in the garage, more productive there. Trying to get organised to work on 2 projects in a garage that should be 3 times as big. :)

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blue One, one of the sites you referenced had the following info:

C25 or 25% Carbon Dioxide and 95% Argon

I can't trust the opinion of any site where the "experts" don't double check their math. What else might be incorrect?

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Shielding gas mixes vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some of them will not even tell you exact percentages of a mix claiming the info to be proprietary.

I can't help it if someone claims a total of more than 100%. :)

That does show that not all info on some sites is totally accurate.

The most common is 75% Argon and 25 % CO2 which as you can see does add up to 100%. :D

14. 75/25 argon/co2

15. gmc1941

gmc1941

If anybody is interested, I have a couple of Co2 Alum tanks I need to get out of the garage. PM me your close by.

16. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I learned something, Thanks.

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Very true...but most of what I do is autobody repair and its gonna be finished to a smooth surface and painted so any crown on a bead has to disappear.
    Roll bars, rear axle housings or anything like that and you're absolutely right!

For me...I'm happy to rub off a bit of splatter with the flap wheel regardless.
    Theres enough other stuff in life to keep me worried without stressing over it.

Stick around Joe...kinda missed seeing you on here!!!

Hey...can't you actually BUY oil impregnated wire wipers at the welding supply? They clip on just in front of the drive rollers IIRC.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can, and they are forbidden on many job-sites I have worked on.

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

They must be used somewhere....
    I wonder is it just for sheetmetal or something?
    Sheet being so easy to get absolute penetration.

With the wire speed required for welding thicker steel and considering how small they are, they would be rendered useless in no time anyway.

20. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Is it time for bunny’s w pancakes yet? :p

21. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

22. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Same here, the place I get my gas from calls it Stargon or something, 75/25.