Register now to get rid of these ads!

Porter VS Flowmaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLVD_Regulators, Apr 7, 2012.

1. BLVD_Regulators

BLVD_Regulators

So here is the delimma. I have finally come full circle after installing a 5.0 in my 59 galaxie and we are in the final stages of putting the exhaust in.

Question:

Should I go with the Porter steel pack muffler or flowmaster? I like the sound of the classic Porter (shorties). It's louder at higher rpms than flowmaster. But flowmaster has that distinct growl.

Just curious what other's think. I'm leaning towards the Porter but wonder if it will work on the 5.0.

Your opinion and advice is greatly appreaciated!

Will post video once fully complete to let everyone hear!!

Good Kat
    BLVD_Regulators

2. 61falcon

61falcon

flowmasters are like belly buttons.

3. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Although the Porter is more traditional, I prefer the sound and performance of the Flowmaster. If you want to listen to music or passengers, use an X-pipe or H-pipe in conjunction with whichever you choose.

4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Like apples and oranges. I like both but prefer Dos Equis.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flowmasters sound great on Camaros and on my 71 truck but to me the older cars need real glass or steel packs rather than muscle car mufflers. It isn't just about loud it's about getting the right tone.

Think about it for a minute, you've never heard a guy say he liked a woman's voice because it was loud but more than one guy has gone looking for a gal because she had a great voice when he heard it. A car can be the same way, loud and obnoxious or have a sweet purr that hit the high notes when it needs to.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  6. Flowmasters blow.... I mean suck... dare to be different

as previously stated, Porters as far back as possible unless you like rapping on deceleration then mount 'em close to the front

40fordtudor likes this.
  7. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Flowmasters will make it sound like a Foose car.

I think that is a bad thing. (non-traditional and all that)

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Flowmasters will make it sound like a 5.0 Mustang that some pimple faced highschool kid has!
    Porters or glass packs!

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. jack orchard

jack orchard

Porters are my favorites. if you have a flathead motor, then straight pipes are a must...jack

10. Flowmaster will make your car sound like every F150 on the road. My vote is for Porter's. I have them on my car and they sound great.

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

My '91 Fox car has a set of 3 chamber flowmasters under it.... The freakin' thing is loud as hell.... It's one of the reasons why I quit driving it 7 er 8 years ago... It's just collecting dust in my garage..:(

1Nimrod and 40fordtudor like this.
  12. 61falcon

61falcon

cherry bomb makes a chambered muffler that has a good aggressive sound and is on the loud side but doesnt sound like a flowmaster and they are half the cost of a flowmaster.

13. mikemo

mikemo

I'm considering Mellowtones behind my 5.0, is anyone doin' that? They sound great on my flatty.

14. Flowmasters make a car sound like a damn late-model Mustangs, and I do not like that sound.

Glasspacks are the way to go on something pre-'72, unless you like the muscle car sound on your old car.

15. Flowmasters on my v8 and my straight6, to me there is no other muffler

16. killa fab

killa fab

im with this guy. Flowmaster on just about everything that i've ever had that was gas burner. Except for my F250 daily driver(diesel) and my 46 Dodge because it has zoomies

But check out spintech or borla

17. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

On an old car (H.A.M.B. material), I'd likely go with glass-packs, however I have an O.T. car with a '68 SBF with Flowmasters, and is does not sound like a late model Mustang. Not even close. Flowmasters sound different on different engines and with different exhaust systems...

40fordtudor likes this.
  18. BLVD_Regulators

BLVD_Regulators

Thanks for all the input! I think I'll still be going with Porters unless there is a better steel pack available? I hear glass packs tend to rust/rot quicker.

19. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Cherry Bombs !

Retro Jim

20. Well put

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i'm a older guy grew up with thrush mufflers. my kid had a o/t chevy with glasspacks on it. wanted flowmaster. i caved in bought him some for his birthday. ran like a different car. been a "flow master guy" ever since. never thought it would make that much difference. my 2 pennies!

22. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've had both and prefer the sound of a quality steel pack like the porter for something that isn't too built up. To many stock trucks around here run flow masters and to me they don't sound right unless the motor is mean enough.

23. BLVD_Regulators

BLVD_Regulators

Going with glass/steel packs. Any other brands I may now know off hand I can look into?? would like to place order today.

24. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Do it up right from the beginning, treat yourself to the pricier stainless porters. Superb sound, no rust issues, great folks to deal with. I did and never looked back. Trust me, they are one of the best presents you can ever buy yourself.
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    Paul

25. boutlaw

boutlaw

Check out Spin-Tech. To me, they make the SBF sound like tis supposed to.

Boutlaw

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flowmasters are for muscle cars, and wanna-bees. Get a set of Porters.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Order the Porters and move on. Great quality and even the mild steel ones will last longer than most cars they are put on.

And they sound really nice.

I recently ordered 4 of them in the 2 1/2" size, for both my rods. They are really hard to get in Canada due to the cost of shipping.

So, I had them shipped to my wifes parents place in Texas. My wife is down there now and will bring me them and some other goodies I ordered when she comes home. :)

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. BLVD_Regulators

BLVD_Regulators

Porters it is! Next questions. shorties? or a longer length? How big of a difference will it be between a 3" & 4" body? I know I'll need a 2.5" inlet/outlet.

This is my first build and want to make sure its perfect!

Thanks!

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shorter they are, the louder they will be. The closer to the engine they are, the louder they will be.

I always try to put them as far back in the system as the chassis and suspension will allow, but that is just me. I like quiet, during "normal" operation, and a little loud when I really pedal it.

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The 2.5" inlet and outlet is a 4" body. I ordered the standard length which I believe is around 26" or so in length.

I think the short ones may be too loud for my tastes.