Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel injection for flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost of ElMirage, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Just picked up a 59A flathead this week and just had a thought that fuel injection might be cool for it , but never having given the idea much thought before. So what is or are some old school FI systems that might have been used back in the late 40s or 50s or even into the 60s on a street/strip flattie? Or was it even invented back then?

Ghost

2. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Hilborn had them back then or you made your own. IMO the homemade ones look better.

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The Hilborn has a reputation as a good racing piece, but isn't generally noted for its part throttle performance. Like anything, if you are determined enough, you might make it work, but plenty of pretty smart guys have already traced those steps, and found it not exactly a trivial exercise.

4. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Hilborn is your best bet. That's what we run.

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

Hilborn, Scot's, AlGon, I'm sure there are others, but they're not coming to mind.

Hilborn will have the best support today of the group. ;)

6. This is a home made I got my hands on the other month. I'm trying track down some history (I have a bit). Also go a search there is heaps on here both EFI and FI.

7. Pics.

Attached Files:

8. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Not oldschool but check cornhusker on the web they sell flat attack systems or google flatattack racing.

9. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

10. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

I know I can buy a setup from Speedway but wouldnut building my own old school mechanical type just for the satisfaction of saying I did it. Does anyone know of any books on the subject of making you're own?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

There was a 34 Ford P/U running a modified early Hilborn system several years ago. It was converted to electronic FI and was easy to identify as not being real old school but it was very cool. Forget about running a Hilborn on the street without electronic fuel injectors. They have been trying to do this for the last 60 years. Some claim that they made it work but I've never seen it work.

I can't stand the look of those "look something like a 97" FI modern units.

The modified Hilborn unit wasn't that bad if you can get over the fuel rails and modern electronic injectors and wires at the base of the velocity stacks.

You are not the first one to think about doing this in the last 60 years. None have been successful enough to become as popular as it surely would have been if it really did work well.

12. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Thanx Tommy and 31 Vicky . I was thinking that a FI would also be WAY COOL and cheaper than building a blown flatty. Tommy I am right on board with you on this one too! "I can't stand the look of those "look something like a 97" FI modern units."

13. Vergil

Vergil

Here is my fuel injection setup on an 8ba...

[​IMG]

14. And Virg that looks better every time I see it, great job on doing it.............

15. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Virg that is SWEEEETT!!!!!!!!!!

16. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Quote "You are not the first one to think about doing this in the last 60 years. None have been successful enough to become as popular as it surely would have been if it really did work well." Quote

I have done it twice, BUT, and that is a real big but, you need to have a BIG engine in order to have lots of air moving capability...315 ci or more. It did work very well after slight
    mods to the system by adding a second bypass line and pill.
    I would not recommend it unless you have LOTS of time to tinker.

17. Vergil

Vergil

Pete I tip my hat to you for making it work, knowing what you have to accomplish with the manual setup is something a person better have confidence in their work before trying it for the street. I get flumoxed with the efi and it does all the work for me.
    Thanks Carl but seeing your work makes me feel as a student still learning. Ghost thanks and not to steal your thread but one more picture to show where the injectors are mounted.

Vergil

[​IMG]

18. Super impressive, hopefully ONE day I can can mine up and running again.

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

That is one NEAT setup. Thanks for the pic.
    Pete

20. nexxussian

nexxussian

Vergil, so the injectors fire uphill into the ports?

21. jack orchard

jack orchard

Vergil: if'n you were going into production of this unit, do you have any feel for the price? i, for one would be interested...jack

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  22. Vergil

Vergil

Yes they do, towards the back of the valve, picture below is the location of the port, the jig is bolted to a block cut-a-way and positions all the ports in the same location for each cylinder (move jig from cylinder to cylinder) and bolts to block.

Vergil

[​IMG]

23. Vergil

Vergil

Jack it is a very time consuming project, the man hours would put the price tag to high but if a person does their own the labor is free. Allen Wylie in NZ done one like this and was kind enough to share some pictures with me. Anyone that would like to do it I would be more than happy to share any picture I have concerning the build. Would I do another one this way? Yes..... the motor responds very well to this setup.

Vergil