Register now to get rid of these ads!

upholstery attempt?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el caballo loco, Apr 6, 2012.

1. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

I have access to a treadle style singer heavy duty sewing machine and need a little direction/encouragement. It's a simple T roadster and considering the prices on storebought interiors, i thought i'd give it a try.
    Any of you guys ever stitched up your own interior? any tips, hint or ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. F&J

F&J

3. I just joined the social group F&J listed and loaded some pics of my interior I did over last winter ( 10/11 ) Turned out pretty good. I just used a cheap Brother sewing machine of my wifes. Mine is a pretty simple Model A Roadster, pleated vinyl, and flat vinyl. It was really easy, just take your time and measure, measure, measure, then cut, glue, staple, and you're done before you know it. :eek: Here's a couple of pic's of mine.

Attached Files:

4. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Looks damn good man...

5. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I really want to give it a try. Outstanding work..

6. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

It sure does! And thanks guys, still learnin my way 'round the forums n had no idea there was an upholstery group out there. Makes me a little more confident about tacklin this part of the project. At first i thought "sewing?! what fresh hell is this?!" Now, i'm half convinced i can do it. : )

7. Thanks guys, I surprised myself. I had estimates of $ 2500.00 to Four grand. Couldn't afford that. I spent a total of about $375.00 for material, glue, plywood, and an electric staple gun. ( The electric staple gun is a must ) Of course my hands are as old as I am (64) so that may make a difference. Go for it my friend, you can do just as good as I did, probably better, By the way, I never sewed a thing in my life, My wife had to show me how to thread the machine,(about 25 times). Good luck, I'm logging off and going to bed, keep us posted on your progress on the social group forum.

8. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

will do. I figure tomorrow is template cutting day. babysteps dontcha know..
    That pattern of yours is exactly what i was thinkin i'd try, maybe with a a roll around the top behind driver n passenger. thanks for the inspiration AND the encouragement. : )

9. I got that material from Garys Upholstery in Florida, the pleated stuff was around $25.00 a yard and the matching flat vinyl was about $20.00. Google " Garys Upholstery " and get his phone number and he'll send you some samples if you know the color range you want. The colors on the web site aren't very true to life. I picked a color called Red Chille. It's marine vinyl, which is good for us roadster guys. :eek: Don't forget to post up some pic's along the way, I wish I had taken more pic's in process.

10. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

My color shouldn't be too hard to find locally. i mean how many variations on black can there be? : )

11. Keep

Keep

12. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

Thanks keep. I'll take all the help i can get, sunday was spent cutting template after template wrong.... gets expensive at $8 a board! oh well, live n learn. I did manage to not fuckup the 1 for my door. : ) so theres hope...

13. What are you using for the backer? I used masonite and its a pain to staple, but easy to find at home depot

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  14. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

Haven't progressed beyond the template stage yet hell. I'm doin those outta cheap hobbylobby posterboard.

15. Where the variations of black come in isnt the color but the grain of the material

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Good luck with doing it yourself. I've been contemplating redoing my T interior in red metalflake vinyl. It's not hard if you think it through and MEASURE often.

17. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I don't know much about this, but I do know that certain stitches are needed for certain jobs, and all sewing machines don't make the same stitch. I know this because an ex employee of mine bought a commercial machine, then found it made a stitch not suitable for what he wanted to do.

18. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

The machine i'll be using is an ancient foot powered singer. I know it'll work cuz the guy loanin it to me has done everything from an interior for his old bronco to boat covers. It's just a matter of whether or not i'm as good as the machine. Oddly enough, i have guns that are a way better shot than i am. ; ) so i'm hoping the machine elevates my skills to... tolerable.

19. I use an old treadle singer. With the right needle they will stitch anything. The right needle is one from a leather sewing awl (the kind with a wooden handle that holds a roll of thread) . I was surprised but the needle for the hand awl fitted perfectly.

6inarow likes this.
  20. Keep

Keep

$8 a board? holy cow. I used "poster" board for mine, like $4 for 10 sheets, then I just taped them together, found it easier to work with the smaller sheets as well.

For my backer board I used 1/8 plywood and just sewed right through the wood :) Probably not the recommended way to do it, but it worked pretty damn good.

21. Check out Rolf's A coupe build. He stitched his own interior.

Also, use old cardboard or something for templates, lots cheaper than $8 per board.

And finally...if you screw up that much ;), JoAnne's fabrics stocks marine grade vinyl for about $12 a yard. Screw some of that up before going on to whatever you want for your actual interior!

22. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

I got no roof so marine grade vinyl sounds about right. Tryin to pick a lighter color than black, it gets hot here and nothins worse than black vinyl after an hour in the sun!

23. Shotrod64

Shotrod64
    from Tacoma, WA

This place has a lot of great tutorials and will answer any kind of question related to upholstery down to the kind of thread. Also don't forget youtube, some good vids and how-to there also.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/

24. charlieb66

charlieb66

Take a look at the different vinyls that are available. Some are thick (heavy) and hard to work with. Try to find a product called "Mellowhide", this material is quite soft and easy to work with. If you need to make a pattern for the upholstery, check out the clear vinyl available at cloth stores.

25. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

26. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Im just getting started inside, I used masonite for all my panels, I Havent decided what colot yet, but I had to get rid of the mold and mildew in the stock panels.

Im thinking about a pleat patteren 1 inch wide with a smooth top section, I would like to find some type of trim that I could screw down to seperate the two sections.
    I have no idea how to handle the seat it needs new foam and Im sure some springs are broken.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

27. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

my meighbor just got his 67 chevy truck by a local guy who went to the bone yard & found springs the same size from a newer truck & used them in replacing the broken/wore out ones--chuck
    {the foam,burlap & padding he got from Joann's fabric & a local shop}

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The interior we do for our cars is a one-piece insert and a seat cushion. If you don't have a door the insert is a great way to have an easily serviceable interior that comes out in about 30 seconds.

29. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co