Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 chevy,back wheels clearence

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheTumbleweeds, Apr 6, 2012.

1. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Hi Guys!

Maybe stupid question, but, IF I open up for gasser wheels,
    do you have a recomended version, instead of just grind it and leave it?

Thanks!!

2. 1320/150

1320/150

yah...... don't do it.

But,if you have to 55 nomad lips look cool.

I am all for a gasser,and out of the 3 years of the tri-five I like the 55's radiused the best,but I feel that if you have good quarters now please don't cut them up..

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Bought a 55 Chebbie 2 door post sedan very reasonable once. Figure part of it was because of the horrid job someone did hacking out the rear wheel openings.

It was a sloppy cut to begin with, and then they pop riveted a 3 inch flange 90 out from the fender and slabbed bondo over the rivet heads. Got it home and ripped the metal flaps off the openings first. The scribed off the center of the wheel for a nice clean equal line an inch off the crown of the tire. Cut it out to a nice even reveal and called it quits for the night. Threw the scrap metal flanges in the recycle pile and went to bed knowing I could sleep and not have to wake up to that gosh awful wing strip hanging out from the fender.

A half inch conduit then provided the beaded edge for finish........

5. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I've radiused a number of rear wheel openings on other cars, but the current 55 I have still had such nice original wheel openings that I couldn't bring myself to cut them.

Another choice would be to just stuff the tires underneath with enough clearance not to rip the sidewalls out on a hard corner.....

Attached Files:

6. Muttley

Muttley

Go for it, you're just fixing a factory oversight anyway.

7. Butch M

Butch M

nomad lips would look real cool

8. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

I had many feelings around this subject, and the openings I have are rebuildt with stock stamping plates, also rest of the car. The floors, trunk, inner housings are also new, stock stampings...

Awsome look with nomads openings, its already "Gassered" ;) I can get more serious openings, not just rough cut with a grinder...

And...hum...I love the stock openings too....

Feels like I need the sleep alot on this...

Thanks for your thoughts and pics, it realy helps =)

9. hogridenfool

hogridenfool
    from chicago

what I've seen done was,1/2 steel tubing bent to match the radius of the opening,then it was cut down the center of the outter side of the tube,then welded to the opening,then finnish it off with bondo or lead it looked good.

10. jophus

jophus

I've done both ways, 1/2" rod and then fill it, and cutting it flat and then go back with a hem joint for strength. I prefer the hem joint. It's way easier to do body work and looks just as good in my opinion, depending on the look your after. Check out my pics of my 55 project. My only question with nomad openings is, are limited on tire size? Good luck.