Register now to get rid of these ads!

need advice about a deal gone bad??? what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miky2001, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed

I've been in business for over 40 years, and I assure you that the customer is rarely "right". But that's not what he asked. I'm more concerned with my own personal integrity, and not the almighty dollar.
    And that "shit" you refer to didn't start a few decades ago. Integrity has been around since the beginning of time... :cool:

2. chopitdano

chopitdano

Tell him to build a time machine before finishing his vette. Then go back to the year 1969 and buy a set off the dealer. Then on the way back to the future stop in on the your transaction and stop it. Till then a deal is a deal and the whinny bitch is stuck with them. It is not just the sellers responsibility to provide pictures, its just as much the responsibility of the buyer to ask for more pics of concerned areas of the parts he is looking to buy.

3. You can take them back if he ships them back to you.

I guess you have to decide how important your reputation is versus the money and the feeling of being taken.

I think I'd go with him shipping the wheels back at his cost, you absorbing the initial shipping cost, and you refunding the purchase price after receipt. That way you'll both absorb some of the cost and you can resell. If he tries to ruin your reputation, then stand your ground that it was a fair (or more than fair) refund deal.

4. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

I agree with most of that - but you will never "cure" a corvette peckerhead from sucking eggs.

B.

5. Take them back and have him pay for return shipping.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I guarantee that if you tell him to pay the shipping both ways he will never be heard from again, and the wheels will magically work fine for him.

It is one thing to stand behind your word, but there are people out there who are just out to get you. Ask any Walmart store who has taken back a gallon of oil because the "Customer didn't need it " only to find the gallon was now filled with used oil ! Some people are not as honest as we would like to believe of our fellow man. Even companies that had a "no questions asked" policy on returns are now modifying that practice because they were being taken to the cleaners.

Don

7. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wheels do not look "ruined", but the real question is how they were advertised and what pictures, if any, were used. If there is any way the ad could be interpreted that imply the wheels are better than they actually are then yes, you should give a refund. Otherwise, offering to refund on his shipping dime is the most you should consider doing. And if so, as others say, refund only after receiving the wheels and verification they indeed are the same ones.

8. HamD

HamD

To be fair, what was your original description and how were they pictured?

What dimension is he concerned about? Remaining thickness at the conical section of the wheel? I.D.? Conical surface? "Destroyed" is subjective and he left you high and dry on detail, trying to put the ball in your court. Just toss it back to him and give him some busywork to accomplish such as measuring all 20 holes, plus hubs. When he's done, ask him how it feels to have his time wasted.

9. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

The difference between a porcipine and a corvette ? The prick is on the inside of the vette.

10. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

They look fine to me, besides the center cap will cover the lug nuts.

11. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Integrity is not necessarily the same thing as bowing down to a buyer who thinks he or she is "King Shit", when all terms of a sale are met as agreed to.

An example of integrity is sticking with a deal as originally made, whether it is to your benefit or not.

IMO a lot of the problems we have right now are a result of everyone giving in to the bitchers and moaners. Maybe "true integrity" might mean educating these kind of folks. Bitchers and moaners shouldn't get all of the advantage.

I give people the benefit of the doubt plenty of times, sometimes it works out ok, but usually it means I get screwed, I accept this, but not on the terms that "the customer is always right", or that the customer has the RIGHT to screw me, giving in to that line of thought perpetrates the idea that folks can get their way whether they are right or wrong.

Taking what I see at face value on this deal, I see a customer who wants it "his way" even though it seems he is just wrong.

As I said before, if the customer wants to pay shipping, by all means refund the sale price...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  12. Clevername

Clevername

"flopcock" -awesome! Learn something new everyday:D

13. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

You sold the wheels without guarantee as is!! If the centers are straight and the holes are not all gauled out ,he ownes them! You have his address send him a shop towel to cry on!! I would not return his money or accept the wheels back.Like some others have stated Vet owners are all CRYBABYS I worked in one of the most reputable vet repair shops on the east coast back 20 years ago. Because this is some what a family area of discussion I can only do this &54^(9#^t6 comment about SOME of those guys.

14. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

well thanks for all the replies guys. seems most here agree the wheels are fine.

i described the wheels as they are, used originals. i sent him pictures of the lugnut holes before the deal was made.

i guess my camera wasnt good enough to pick up the scratches and he said they looked good, he will take them. so i boxed them up and spent $125 for shipping and only charged him $100 for shipping.

the price was $400 for 4 wheels and 4 center caps. the center caps were chinese repops, but i told him that and he had no issues.

so basically i got $375 for 4 wheels and center caps. i wanted them out of my dining room hahaha.

i just saw a rusty set go for $900 on ebay, so this guy got a deal.

then he pull this nonsense.

i sent the "flopcock" an email saying i'll refund the money if he returns the "bad" wheel. also sent him a link to this post hahahahaha.

havent heard back from him yet tho.

15. c_dime81

c_dime81
    from tupelo

Haha perfect idea

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Agree with Don's Hot Rods..... I managed a large fleet repair shop, and we used wheels that were worn far more; I hope the guy isn't trying to pull a fast one....maybe he wants to keep the ones you sent,....get his $$ back and return some junk wheels to you ?

4TTRUK

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto to all..........

4TTRUK

18. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

19. concical bulge seat lug nuts will seat, be safe and work perfectly on those wheels which is the known remedy when acorns no longer fit right due to wear

20. afaulk

afaulk

If you know the wheels are good (used, not new) and you would run them yourself, with confidence, don't worry about it. You can't always please everybody. Like the guy at the auction says "thank you sir, you bought it"!

21. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

A couple of years ago I decided to sell a few excess parts "on-line".

I sold a stock filler neck from my 39 for something like $12.00. It was a nice straight clean piece that had been in paint for better than 10 years. I waited for a week or so for payment, didn't show. So I sent a polite email, offering to cancel the sale if the guy had decided he didn't really want the part. The buyer responded that he did want the part and he paid.

I thought everything was cool until until I got his feedback. He said he was dissatisfied because the part was "filled with rust". I refunded his money right then, told him he was a bitch, (mainly because he acted like a dick FIRST) and told him to keep the part.

Well this guy sent the part back anyway, and yea there was some surface rust on the inside of the tube. Frankly, I never thought about looking inside the tube, let alone taking pictures of the inside...

The moral of the story is simply this, Some people are bitches.... while I didn't disclose the rust inside of the tube, (because I wasn't aware of it), he was still a bitch because it would have NEVER made a damn bit of difference, especially on a $12 part.

That was my very last online sale.... This stuff is NOT worth the trouble...

22. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Where is the guy located? Maybe a fellow HAMer could go to his garage and see what he is concerned about. Might be able to shed some light on the situation and or find out if he is just a prick.

If he is any where near me I would be happy to go meet with him and check out his complaint.

Jim

23. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Those holes are fine, original 15x8 Vette rally's are really tough to get nowadays, especially straight ones. At $375 that guy got a pretty good deal with or without the caps. If it's an ebay/paypal deal you may be in for a fight, I would give him a refund minus the shipping and he pays the freight to get them back to you. The cost of $225 to get them back to you to get $375 back might have him looking at those lug nut holes with a glass is half full kind of perspective. But, like I said if it's an ebay/paypal deal be prepared for them to zap your account for the money until it's resolved, could take up to 30 days.

24. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

I was thinking this as well but my thought came across a bit differently... he should snap a derby cap on that wheel once mounted and STFU.

25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

His use of the word "destroyed" to describe what those pictures show clearly destroys his credibility. If I were you I'd resist, unless he has you over a barrel of some sort --- like a feedback profile you want to protect, or if he has the ability to challenge a credit card payment.

26. brad chevy

brad chevy

Sounds like you did your part already. He got pictures,a break on the shipping,nothing wrong with the wheels at all. All this talk about integrity doesn't change the fact that he said he would take them. Do what you want but if I sell something I know is as I described to the buyer its his,bottom line.Hope you didn't do the Pay-Pal crap on the deal. Good luck on pleasing another goldchainer wanting perfection at a cutrate price.

27. They are used wheels and look good to me.

28. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

AS-IS-WHERE-IS....its on him....

29. Deuces

Deuces

Is that anything like a droopy dick???