Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chassis Research style dragster/Comp Coupe build flathead powered

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dragsled, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Get well soon Tim!

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Yes, get well Tim! Hope you heal up fast.
    The wiew from your seat looks sweet:)

Br
    Kjell

3. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I second this one! The dragster is looking great!

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the good words guys:), Don't worry when you live by yourself you have to heal fast:confused:, back to the dragster the machine shop called my thought to be killer race block is junk ,to many cracks:eek:, O well like we used to say fuel racing ,time to get another bullet out of the trailer:D, I have one more short block to check plus the one in the car now, but when I changed heads I saw it had a sleeve in every hole, so hard to say what it would pan out like, But can't rassle any motors around for 6 weeks ,So I guess I'll just keep planning the new setup for the blower motor, Thanks Again Tim

5. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Returning the favor...subscribed. Pretty cool man.

6. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Robert , Now for all my flathead mentors last summer I picked up a shortblock ,( hopefully this block checks out):confused: , well I got a box of brand new pistons with it , take a look at them and let me know if you would use them all I know is they are 3 1/16 040 over, if they will work I'll use them in the new motor ,provideing the block is useable ,BTW the short block is still stock Thanks

Attached Files:

7. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the info carl , now on the destroked 221 what would be the stroke on the crank? like I have said before I'm not very flathead savy yet Thanks Tim

8. speedjunky

speedjunky

Really looking good! Really digging all the the self built stuff.

Get healed up quick, nothing worse than being stuck in the house with something like that in your shop.

"ended up cutting it off the fire wall with a chisel" Awesome!!!:)

9. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Still have that blowermanifokd and front cover for sale? Smallblock chevy...

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Sorry Robert sold it last week, Tim Jones

11. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

No worries thanks for getting back to me. cars coming along nicely!

12. Tim, how goes it? All heeled up?

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hi Justin just got back to work this week, man 5 weeks of doing nothing drove me crazier than I already am,, give me a call sometime Tim

14. Glad to hear you are in the swing of things

15. slobroy

slobroy

I'm in and out of Iowa on occasion, (truck driver) any chance of a shop tour?

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

No problem, not much to look at and if you don't mind takeing your rig down a few gravel roads 8 miles off the highway, the farmers do it all the time during havest Tim Jones

17. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Good to see your back on it. Hate having to sit back and look at a project...

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Carl sorry to hear about your motor , how's it coming along

19. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

this is what the NEW plan is , decided to put a cage over my head , here's my plans ,used some plans Justin Calkins came up with awhile back ago and Dimitri's car and came up with this, Mike Wagner at Cornfield Customs in Ohio is gonna bend to tubeing for me and I'll do the rest of the fitting here, here's justin's plans Hmm? couldn't load the other stuff

Attached Files:

20. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Looks good, from the plans it doesn't seem to mess with the lines of the chassis. A nice subtle, yet sturdy cade. Excited to see it all bent up.

21. Good deal Tim!!!

Here is a photo I found on the interweb somewhere...

Not a sexy as my idear, but the right idear is there...

Attached Files:

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

because of my fat head my cage will have to stick up a few inchs like yours D the chassis won't be quite tech legal but should work for me , I put a dragster on it's top about 20 years ago ,I don't think I could take the beating as well these days:D

Attached Files:

23. I had emailed Bob Blackwell about this chassis a year or so ago. Basically what he wanted was a standard FED chassis from a few inches in front of the motorplate on back. So, my thought was to do so, then add the TE440 top loop and body. I was thinking that you would still get the look of the blueprint I tweeked, and also a NHRA legal and 'safe' ride.

24. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

You know what they say Poor ways for poor folks:eek:

25. I know of what you speak about head clearance, when I'm in mine its TIGHT, was made for a guy just a littel beet shorter than me.............but it works...........I have to scrunch down...
    engine is in a constant state of flux..............

26. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Here ya go Carl the new and improved t shirt logo , no valve covers and 3 header pipes ,Flathead all the way

Attached Files:

27. I'll take a couple Mediums.

I still need to call you...

28. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Now that I'm pretty much healed up for the most part, and back to work, It's back to the dragster, I've been putting off getting the rear axles for the car mostly because, I figured I could get them anytime, and use the money for the hard to get deals, well it's good I waited , I ended up picking up a set of Mark Williams Hi buck 40 spline axles with bearings and spool for less than a set of smaller axles , they were 1 inch different in lenght on each side so I'll have to renarrow the rear housing ,but I have a jig for narrowing them so that's no problem, it might seem like overkill but it saves some money and I know they aren't gonna break in the near future

Attached Files:

29. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks to Brickster on the Hamb, I got a sweet ass gas pedal, Plus it was made in Irwindale CA, got to be some good karma there, even though it was for a boat, I'll have the guys weld a mounting pad for it when they weld in the new cage parts, I think it looks right at home in there,

Attached Files: