Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Losthope's 1966 c10 low buck build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LostHope, Sep 24, 2011.

1. LostHope

LostHope

Not a huge update not that it really needed it but always feel better with new wiring in a older car so i did pick up a haywire wiring harness for the truck, I have wired 3 other classic cars with this same harness it is a decent harness and always have extra circuits left over..,the only thing im doing different with this wiring job is that i went to harbor freight and picked up a soldering iron and shrink wrap and some other items to solder all the connections instead of using crimp style connectors like ive done in the past....it might take longer soldering but in the end it will be better, plus ive got alot fast at wirning a car since the first wiring job:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. LostHope

LostHope

Well earlier in my thread my buddy gave me a under dash A/C unit....I cleaned it up and got to thinking to my self "am i really going to find the missing parts i need and hook this thing up" and i came to the conclusion no.....i still wanted to install it to go with my low rider accessories theme i got going on!
    when i bagged the truck i wanted to hide the gauges and switch's so i came up with this........i also hide my after market gauges also!

HUH looks like a A/c Unit for sure!!!!!!!!!!!:
    [​IMG]

BUT WAIT ITS NOT!!!!
    [​IMG]

theres fan intake grills on each side near the back that im thinking of putting some small speakers in you would never know they were there!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  3. tragic59

tragic59

Diabolical!

Even gutted, that AC unit is still the best part of the whole truck!

Lookin great Timmy. Lots of updates since I last checked your thread.

You don't need that heat gun for your shrink wrap. As long as you keep it moving you can do the same thing with a normal cigarette lighter.

4. creepy will

creepy will
    from sacramento

Lookin good son you sure a motivated little shit!!!

1Nimrod likes this.
  5. LostHope

LostHope

Haha! Ya but now i have a shrink gun to add to my tools......

Thanks Pops! hope all is well ill have to make it over there and hang out sooner then later!

UPDATE:

Well not much done lately due to unforscene dental problems so any extra funds are going to that and also been raining alot(no garage), but i did finish up the wiring install (except for a couple extra circuts i havent tied up yet)and then went to clean out the cab since I sat inside and wired the cab in the rain it looked like a bomb went off, so i pulled the bench seat to get all the crap and tools that had fallen behind it and then that led to repainting the floor.....my first choice would have been a flat black but i had three old cans of gloss black in the shed..it looks better then the white someone painted it before and eventually i want to get a rubber floor mat to lay inside...No carpet ill get it to dirty

heres the before:
    [​IMG]
    I wire brushed and sanded to scuff the floor I did some cleaning and primed:
    [​IMG]
    Plan on repainting the ivory white in the cab so i didnt bother taping the sides off and sprayed the gloss black:
    [​IMG]
    and with the seat:
    [​IMG]

And i noticed i never posted a picture of my groovy sun visor's......I'm assuming the old man that had the truck pulled them out of a motor home,At first i hated them but they are so ugly i kinda like them...ands character LOL!
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. tragic59

tragic59

I was wrong. The sun visors are the best part of the whole truck.

I admire your work ethic, Timmy. Especially considering your working with limited tools and no garage, you get shit done!

7. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man...you are doing some great work with this!!!! I LOVE the a/c unit, idea! This truck is really shaping up. I've enjoyed the progress progress and you inspired me to get back out and start working on my roadster!! KEEP IT UP, Bro!!!!!!!!

8. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Oh...and DO NOT change those visors!!!! Those are SWEET!!!!!!

9. LostHope

LostHope

thanks guys, dont forget to take pictures bugsy!

I think ill rock them for a little while:cool:

I got the truck running with one of my spare edelbrocks 4bbl but it never quite ran right so i took the nice one to the shop to get rebuilt...I have rebuilt them before but since this is going to be my daily driver i want everything to work properly and rebuilt(motor,trans,carb,brakes ect),they got all the right tools to do the job and clean,rebuild,test and tune, and i dont have to do anything and i cant beat the price of $40 plus carb kit..

besides that not much but i did turne my reverse lights into a extra set of brake lights,they were never hooked up and i plan on adding some reverse lights later down the road, i kept the clear lens just used red bulbs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a extra set of revers lights so eventually the goal will be when i do my rear grill idea to have three lights on each side the top and bottom will be brake lights and the middle ones will be reverse lights, kinda like this:
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. LostHope

LostHope

Well I didnt take many pictures but heres what i did ,im still in the process of making a flip up license plate because im going to install a hitch if i need to pull a trailer heres a picture without the license plate on and you can see the hitch hole(got to fab a hinge and make some big holes for the license plate bolts to pass through when the hinge closes, so dont mind the cocked eyed drilled holes):
    heres me with my p.o.s harbor freight flux core welder:
    [​IMG]
    remember the front grill? heres a picture so you dont have to go back through me thread:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and heres the grill i used two different size drawer knobs instead of bullets like the front grill:
    [​IMG]
    the license plate is just mocked up right now I have the LED plate bolts to light it up:
    [​IMG]
    This is my first attempt at something custom besides doing frenched headlights or tail lights

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
    1Nimrod and bengeltiger like this.
  11. Looks great you should drive it over!

12. tragic59

tragic59

How did you end up filling/smoothing the stamped lettering on the rear grill?

Looks great, Tim.

13. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Looking good, man!!! I love the 3 light idea for the back and I'm digging the "rear grille"!! I think it's smart to have the hitch on it too but I like your idea to hide it. Keep it up, Bro!!!

14. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks buddy!, I took the whole thing down to bare metal after i welded it in and then to fill in letters i used a thin layer of fiber-glass hair resin then sanded it down then skimmed a thin layer of reg. body-filler on that to fill in any pin holes in the fiber-glass,turned out pretty smooth!

Thanks Jason!, I tend to use the truck as a truck still, but dont think ill be pulling many trailers but if i do ill have a way to, for the three light idea i think i might change it, ill have the two top lights still and use the bottom light bezel's and run my exhaust tips out of them.gonna run small pipe 2" OR 1 1/2"

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  15. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

16. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Love the rollpan! simple, effective, different, cheap, and bad ass!!!

17. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

18. Blake84

Blake84

Great job love the build. Truck looks great!!!

19. 73super

73super

Wow.. this is one of the few threads that holds your attention and you have to read it all the way through. LOVE THE BUILD! Been thinking about an Apache (60 - 61?).. Love the mods you've made as well as you're doing it on the cheap and that's what it's all about. Great job... and my condolences on your grandmas passing. (cool tat).

20. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks for the refresher, since i posted that part of the thread i also found that info on a 60-66 chevy truck forum, but thanks again...maybe someone else reading this thread that didnt know will see that:D....And I like how the wheel looks after i painted it and put a bullet on it,so i think ill keep it as of now:)
    HaHa glad you like it!

Ill check them out in the junk yard next time i go, but i need the plate to lay really flat and think i can use a piano style hinge with little effort to make it work, my 54 ford also has the flip down plate with gas filler behind it, and i have a extra plate mount but it would space the plate quite far off the rear grille, so im gonna try the piano hinge first....

Thank you guys Im glad you are enjoying the build ,and im getting so much positive feed back, I really just started the thread messing around and a place to keep the pictures as the truck progress's , Its nice to know so many of you guys are actually reading it:eek: and thank you "73super" for your condolences.

I know its nothing amazing about the broke ass driveway build but its fun working on it and posting pictures and my story!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  21. Very cool build - Need the particulars on the rear sway if you don't mind...

22. LostHope

LostHope

This is what web page i used for the way i mounted on top of axle:
    http://www.low69cst.freeservers.com/CamaroBar.htm

as far as the second way i mounted it further up the trailing arms i would have to take pictures, but it mounts the same way but facing towards the front of the truck, and without spacers inbetween the frame and end link brackets since the frames wider in the middle of the truck , and the bend in the sway bar goes under the drivline instead of over the top like the way it does when mounted to the top of axle.....If that makes sense?

this mod can be used all the way up to 72' trucks

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Thanks for the link and it prolly would make sense to my simple head with a pic if you ever get to it.

Thanks again for sharing your build - I appreciate it... subscribed.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  24. Mattilac

Mattilac

Haha the sunvisors looks like eyebrows. :D

25. LostHope

LostHope

Ill try and get you some pictures tomorrow,its dark outside at the moment.

I put the flip up license plate on hold till i actually get the hitch installed so i got the plate bolted on and wired up with the LED bolts took a picture to let you guys see how much light they put out, my rear plate is in bad shape so it doesnt show up well but the lights are pretty bright!:
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sweeet Truck!!!

27. large-stache

large-stache

nice to see a guy doing all the work himself on a budget and using junk yard parts, that's what hotrodding is all about. Keep it up.

28. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

really diggin your build. I need to find a tire shop up here that grinds tires! That would save me quite the hassle and coin. Your grills are pretty slick too.

29. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man....those are bright!! Looks good!! I love this truck and what you're doing with it, makes me want to do another truck build!! What have you been working on this weekend?? What's next on the list??
    Bugsy

30. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks Jason! Ive been working on my 54 ford build! Been neglecting it for the truck!:eek: As far as the truck need to do some things like the seat,paint inside the cab, exhaust...but right know its on hold for the ford!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.