Register now to get rid of these ads!

History WWII nose art 5th air force

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Daddy Don, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TREB11-----A 105 Howitzer surely stopped a B-25 in midair!!---BUT, it was a 75mm cannon, NOT the Howitzer!---HA!
    Here's the read out on B-25 armament.

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, what a great thread. Dad was in the 5th Air Corps. Here is a photo of the the 5th Air Corps patch that was his that I have and what may be a pair of his flight goggles.
    [​IMG]

My sister is still looking for his journal in his old books and we hope her soon to be X didn't throw it out or give it away. He had written down info about every mission and where they were in that even though it was not legal to keep one. I know that he was based in Australia for a time and always wanted to go back to visit.

If anyone sees a photo with a flight jacket with pinup art and "Little Teacher" on it let me know as that was his jacket.

3. You mean this one ? Picked it up at a estate sale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

Hard to believe most guys (pilots & crew) were in their early 20's!!! post #71
    deuce daddy don----------->
    lotsa young men from farms, cities and in between reached manhood many miles from their homes, and families during WWII. our generation owes a debt to them for their efforts at preserving the freedom we enjoy.
    [not to highjack this thread----we have friends and classmates, neighbors and fellow-workers who reached manhood 'during the viet nam conflict, and their senior class-trip to east asia', who likewise need to be regognized for their efforts.]

from a grateful citizen, thank you all!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. Well said, again, thank you all.

6. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

Don, I went thru the book and did not find any art that resembled your patch. :(

7. Larry T

Larry T

My dad was a glider pilot and C-47 co-pilot. He flew a glider in the second day of the Normandy Invasion.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Page from his Flight Log.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  8. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Larry T, Neat bit of family archive there!

9. Larry T

Larry T

Thanks,
    It's really a shame that I didn't take an interest in this stuff until my dad was already gone. He never talked about the war and I was to big of a dumbass to ask. Most of the stuff I've learned came from a small cardboard box and a photo album.
    Larry T

10. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Larry..

I was in the same boat as you, except when I did ask a question, the old man would either say "aw hell, thats old history", or , wouldn't even answer. Later found out that he lost so many friends in the early days that it affected him big time. Can't even begin to think what went through his mind when he saw a friends plane going in...
    Bill

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep!--This is the same patch my brother in law was associated with!!
    I just can't find any info about his B-25 he flew 57 missions in, all I know is his B-25 had a black panther for nose art!!
    Could be that your dad & my brother in law knew each other!!!-----Don

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From time to time we have some history show its head here that is directly related to some pretty incredible and brave men but this is something on another level.

Combat glider pilot with operational Combat Flights!:eek:

That is a level above most, it is something that thank god at the end if WWII was relegated for the best part to history.
    Your father was a man that SAS/LRDG basically all special forces soldiers looked up to back then.
    Be proud.

Doc.

13. Glider survivors are rare... a very high mortality rate for the crew and occupants... hats off to the extremely brave!

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For sure!!!----Those glider pilots had to have balls of steel!!----Once they cut loose----They were powerless & vulnerable from the ground---And, unknown obstacles coming at them from all angles! From pix I have seen from that era, there were some bad wrecks, causing havoc among both soldiers & equipment!!

15. My dad was in the 66th in France. He crossed the channel on Christmas eve of 1944 and watched a troop ship in his convoy get torpedoed and 1500 men were lost. He still talks about it from time to time. I quiz him about his time in the service and he perks up quite a bit.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Zeke, thats getting to be a rare thing. You may one day be the only person that knows these portions of history that your father is talking about. If he is willing to talk about it, maybe he is willing to put it down on paper? You did not need to be a General to record what YOU experienced.

Doc.

17. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

I strongly urge anyone who has WW2 Veteran parents still with us to get involved with the Veterans History Project.. We need to save all the info and stories we can of this generation.

http://www.loc.gov/vets/faq-new.html

18. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Wow small world. I have the book on the SS Leopoldville disaster and one on the 66th in WWII. My Dad didn't like to talk about it but he was also in France, I do know that towards the end of the war he was at a depot that the Germans turned in their weapons and were held as prisoners.

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting a little off track------5th AIR FORCE----B-25 Mitchell medium bombers---Far East islands---B-25 NOSE ART WWII---Don

20. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Don..

Heard anymore about the photos??

Bill

21. Ramblur

Ramblur

22. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

I love anything aircraft related and nose art as well. Here is a recent bike I built which pays tribute to the Flying Tigers.

Attached Files:

• ft1.jpg
      ft1.jpg
      File size:
      446.6 KB
      Views:
    • ft2.jpg
      ft2.jpg
      File size:
      409 KB
      Views:
    • ft3.jpg
      ft3.jpg
      File size:
      352.9 KB
      Views:
    • ft4.jpg
      ft4.jpg
      File size:
      430.8 KB
      Views:
    • ft5.jpg
      ft5.jpg
      File size:
      364.5 KB
      Views:
    • ft6.jpg
      ft6.jpg
      File size:
      338.1 KB
      Views:
    • ft7.jpg
      ft7.jpg
      File size:
      280.8 KB
      Views:
    • ft8.jpg
      ft8.jpg
      File size:
      355.4 KB
      Views:
    • ft9.jpg
      ft9.jpg
      File size:
      287.3 KB
      Views:
  23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, still waiting Bill, Neice probably dosen't have this on top priorty list!
    Rest assured---Soon as I get her info---I'll post it here!--Meantime,everybody seems to be contributing well!

24. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Darn kids just don't have their priorities right!!

RE: other posts.. Very pleasing to see how many have viewed/posted. Hope to see more pics!!

Bill

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  25. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Easy there Zeke merely recognized the patch. This thread is probably on thin ice as it is because it really don't have anything to do with traditional hot rods.

26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beg to differ with you MERLIN, where do you think all the "Traditional" hot rods came from???
    All these returning vets from WWII that were mechanically inclined were just itching to get back in the "saddle" souping up their left behind projects when Uncle Sam sent them their "Greetings" form the President!

Myself, I was starting hi school in 1946, just after the war, & from experience I can relate many stories about the vets blasting a new horizon in the Hot Rod picture, especially where I lived in Inglewood,Ca. going to the schools there.

Anyway,after graduating in 1950, the Korean war was there & all of us kids(?) were signing up---Just like WWII-----Don:D:D

27. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Really DEUCE DADDY DON all I see is war pic's not the hot rods BUILT by those returning vets. I'm well aware of the hot rod history and this thread isn't really covering that.

28. 53Hattie

53Hattie

...Now kids, don't fight!

29. Wow! This thread is amazing. God bless those young men. They truly did save the world. Keep it coming. I can't get enough.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dad usually flew tail gunner in B 25's I know he spent time in Australia and New Guinea. His name was Harold Davison and he was from Toppenish, Wa. I'm not sure how many missions he went on but at least 25. I'll have to see if my sister found that journal.