Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Front Turn signal ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Apr 4, 2012.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

What can I use for front turn signal lights on a 60's look Deuce roadster?

Pics , Ideas or lights you have for sale

2. robber

robber

After using motorcycle indicator lights originally, I switched to these trailer marker lights and put them in the grill. They are small, don't detract from the car and work well.:)

Attached Files:

3. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

I'm gonna go with cowl lights. Yes the headlights have turn signals in them, borrowed them from my '32 for mockup (it was down for repairs anyway).

Attached Files:

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i just picked these last week,{i don't know why??} but could make blinker out of the top lenses.....

Attached Files:

5. perk30

perk30

I moved my cowl lights to the front of the frame in front of the radiator and put amber lenses in them. Nice and bright and real visable.

6. 343w

343w

If it's the 60"s you are going for, put your arm out the driver's window and signal. That's the way we did back then! Do they even require hand signals on the driver's license exam anymore?

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I put them in the headlamps, amber bulbs are bright enough and unobtrusive.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We used a pair of early Guide backup lamps that look like miniature car headlamps on the 32 3W coupe. They are mounted in the fender ledge just ahead of the radiator shell. Put amber bulbs in them and they work really well, very bright.
    The 3Ws Guide headlamps have the parklamps on top of them.

9. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Put some amber LED's inside [dummy ] brake scoops on drum brakes
    They are difficult to spot when not being used

10. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

On the right car, a pair of fog lamps work well.........

Attached Files:

11. F&J

F&J

Put them where the idiots can see them....I had too many close calls with small lights placed where they are not looking.

In your area, the guy who usually has some cool old lights for sale is Russ Schaller. Maybe call him before he sets up to sell at Stafford on the 15th.

Mine came from Russ. They have faceted clear lenses in front and mini red jewels facing the rear, and are pretty bright. Not a normal place for 32 signals, but I don't care:) I want them to be seen. (yes I know yours is fenderless)

Attached Files:

12. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I've been hunting around for something myself. I'd really just like some nice, simple round ones with amber lenses and a chrome housing. On a short stalk. Subscribed.

13. Fog lights make excellent turn signals,,they are not right for every application but they are big enough to see. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

14. Not in Missouri they don't, still legal but they don't even have them in the drivers manual.

This is correct though turn signals were not an issue with jalopies in the '60s, at least not where I lived. What I may do is run them on the rear and let whomever is in front of me wonder.

15. Weasel

Weasel

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Those are a pretty nice copy! I'm running originals of the same, but refitted with newer lamps and sockets.
    [​IMG]

17. I got these mini bullet ones from a Harley shop. Led and bright as all shit.
    [​IMG]

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a pair of bike turn signals on my T in the 70's and they worked well. Those came out of the taken off to customize 5.00 box at a bike shop.
    They make them small enough and bright enough how that you can mount them discretely on the front of a fenderless car and they still can be seen when they are on in the daytime. But I'd rather be seen or have my intentions seen rather than think I was too cool to run visible turn signals or stop lights for that matter.

19. skidsteer

skidsteer

Vintique sells halogen headlites with turn signals built right in, you can't see them inside the headlight until you turn them on. Nice thing is you can get them in stainless steel Model A buckets, a nice touch.

20. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

you can buy 1034 & 1187 bulbs that look silver until lit and than they are amber. Work great inside headlight buckets.

21. Cerberus

Cerberus

Since you asked for front turn signal ideas, Visibolt makes them in various colored bulbs. These are the size of a bumper carraige bolt. I thought of using the on my '56 DelRay at the corners of the rear bumper.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  22. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

Harley signals, a gift from my neighbor and i think the bullet shaped housing fits in perfectly..

Attached Files:

23. monc440

monc440

I don't have any mounted now but have used these in the past and plan to use them on my Plymouth. They are 60's -70's Mopar Fender Signal Indicators. Small, chrome and easy to find at swap meets or fee bay.

Attached Files:

24. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I like the built-in headlamp, or get a set of Guide repops.

25. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Can you get these at the auto retail stores?

26. Markgyver

Markgyver

27. raymay

raymay

I have used similar light for years on some of the 37's I have done. The shape goes with the flow of the car. Bought mine from a cycle shop. They used to use them on Harleys.

Attached Files:

28. atomickustom

atomickustom

You can buy lights like that at any semi truck accessory store. Truck stops usually stock them. I've seen clear and amber and red lenses in them. Mine were red. Cheap, too, if I recall.

29. annasu1212

annasu1212
    from cda

I wonder if you could mount early VW buckets into a chrome mountable outer bucket. The signal was inside the headlight if I recall correctly.

30. jazz1

jazz1

I like those ones posted by Weasel,, the ones I bought are smaller than I expected,,did not check the measurements,,,size matters
    [​IMG]