Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may only be a product of the 70s (My Mum still swears she has no idea who I am) but for whatever reason I am a victim of the music.......well more so the late 60s. One of the first things I did when I joined the Army was spend $4,500 on a stereo system.
    While most people were listening to Metalica I was blasting 'Chevrolet' by Foghat over the top of them.
    I remember looking out the window of my barracks room at the old East Hill's Barracks (2nd floor) the day I got it all hooked up to see about 30 people standing there open mouthed wondering what the hell I was playing. From memory it was Big Brother and the Holding Co(Janis Joplin is the one true god.) some Who, and a shit load of Blue eyed blues (Yardbirds, Early Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall, The Allstars, Cream etc). But the pricks would complain at the best music, some real blues, Son House, Howlin' Wolf, Leadbelly, Etta James..........

I even rented my system to different Units for their 'Boozer' piss up's.

And yes I am a big Who and Zepp Fan.

Doc.

Edit!
    Awwwwwww man, cant forget Grand Funk Railroad!!! Inside Looking Out is a GREAT song, almost as good as "I'm you Captain/Closer to home!"

Doc.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

2. i remember reading in carcraft that one of the girls in the pic owned the bird and had bought it new but thats all i know

3. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Uh..1973 or so.. With my Dad in my Jag with 327 2x4s..etc.. Same car in my avatar..
    Wish Dad was here still..
    [​IMG]

4. Deuces

Deuces

Oh yeah!... I was there.... My mind wasn't always fried... :D
    I remember once spending the night at Pine Knob in the back seat of my girlfriend's '68 Chevy Caprice waiting to buy Bob Seger concert tickets.... We over slepped and that next morning, 3 concerts were sold out in a matter of hours... :(
    But we had fun in the back seat of her car the night before... ;):D

5. to quote that right, it was the 60's but I was there for both and I don't remember either one. so you might be right

Attached Files:

6. 55chevr

55chevr

In the 70-s I had 2 jobs and I was raising 3 kids. I never saw what would pass for a hot rod after the gas shortage mid 70-s ... on the street that is ... went to Atco and Island dragway with some friends back then and it looked like all the guys raced all BBC stuff in Chevelle bodies ...

Joe

7. Ramblur

Ramblur

8. 55chevr

55chevr

That is definitely from the 70-s

9. 32Rules

32Rules

10. buckd

buckd

X2 took a couple of years after that to get my head back to normal but Bud helped!!!! BUCKD

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hell yeah! I still have their first four albums!

12. DD

DD
    from illinois

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I remember chasing a "ufo" down Dewdney Trunk Rd in the late seventies. The faster we went, the faster "it" went, even up to 100 mph. Always seemed to stay just ahead of us. Took us about 5 miles to figure out that we were chasing the moon...
    And yes, illegal drugs were involved...

15. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I think the 70's were the best time ever for riding and racing dirt bikes. I never had a Penton but I had a Hodaka Super Rat and a couple of Husky's. It was so wide open back then. Places to ride, no triple jumps, lineman boots, and football face guards on your Bell helmet. So much fun.

16. Illegal where. :D Probably legal someplace, the world was a lot bigger back then.

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I love the bike jumping a ramp on fire! At least two adults watching, no helmet or pads on and YET you still survived. Now my grandkids can't ride their bikes in the driveway without helmets and training wheels. SHEESH we are raising a bunch of wussies.

18. Ok, Im a dumb ass ,but who are these people?

19. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Those are the people that I used to Party with in the '70s...
    Good Buds!

20. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

lol...................

Attached Files:

21. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

we don't do politics here on the H.A.M.B.

22. Ramblur

Ramblur

Rocky nailed it. Just your average 70's gearheads.

23. Found a few pics of cars I owned in the 70's

Got this 63 Nova from a Ford dealership. It was out back out of sight. I paid 200 bucks for it. Bought a 50 dollar running parts car to fix the body problems with it. And I think I paid somewhere around 35 to 55 dollars to have it painted at Miracle Auto Painting.

[​IMG]

Saw this AMX at the car dealership my dad worked at and asked about it. I guess the kid that owned it was always getting in trouble with it. I asked his dad if it was for sale. His dad said he would trade me straight up for my 63 Nova (6cyl 3 on the tree) he figured his son wouldnt get in trouble with it. Well he ended up totalling the Nova ... tsk. Not sure why his son was always getting in trouble with the AMX ... here I am warming up the tires. Crazy 390's in these little cars were pretty strong =)

[​IMG]

Tried like heck to sell my AMX for a grand when a bone stock 40s Willys coupe came up for sale for that price. I was the first to ask about the car so the guy was really cool and gave me a couple of weeks to sell the AMX but no go.
    I did eventually sell it and purchased this 69 Charger for a grand. 383 Mag, 4spd console etc etc. It was a pretty decent car. Not super fast, but fun. I ended up selling it when I got married in 79 (too young) and we purchased a nice 66 Sport Satellite (Ill post pics if I ever run across them). Unfortunately my new bride put it into a ditch nose heavy, and it was never the same.

[​IMG]

We spent a lot of time cruising Colby in these cars, or my friends cars. All of us had some sort of muscle car back then.

I also had a 57 Chevy, but unfortunately I totaled that one going a little (alot lol) too fast around a corner. Luckily it wasn't a beauty queen yet.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  24. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

The AMX was the shit................Nothing run like it Ford or Chevy.........

25. bluthndr

bluthndr

I was busy being born then. Those guys inspired me to become a car guy - I remember seeing that stuff growing up, lusting after it, and the prices for all of those staying consistently ahead of my income level for most of my life. Kids will probably say that about my hot rodded diesel trucks 20 years from now.

26. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

AMX... one of the best,... underated cars ever!
    Hot Rods are about horsepower to weight ratio, these cars had it in spades.
    The 390 engines were torque monsters.

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Always loved the old Mopars and had a special spot for the AMX as well.
    AMC was always strange, in a good way. Remember the Marlin? Or the Matador?
    Bobby Allison's Matador was bad ass!

28. I just thought I knew the guy on the left, is his name Neil ?

29. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Played a mean guitar, pretty good song writer too.

30. Nope! Not at all! :D

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.