Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar help please? Slant 6 tech question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GothboY, Apr 4, 2012.

1. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

Hey guys. So I got this old 73 dart, and since I dont have a garage because Im renting my place the car needs to be parked on the street. The car has a blown engine, and Im using my buddies backyard to do the swap. That means time is of the essence, and the car being mobile is of the utmost importance (Street sweeping). Plus as usual money is tight. I ran across a used running motor to drop in, and I suspected it to be a 170 six instead of a 225 that is what this 73 dart had in it. I picked up the motor, and am getting it ready to go in, and then I find the ONE snafu that I didnt think of. NO alternator mounting holes at all. Duh. Anyway, so the 225 blew out the bottom end, and the 170 is all good.

Heres the question;
    Do I (A) swap the heads putting the 225 head on the 170 thus gaining SOME of the mounting holes I require but (I ASSUME) lowering compression, or (B) just take some extra time and fab up some brackets to get it to be a car again?

Either option is gonna take a decent chunk of time, but do any of you guys know if the 170 will run worth while with the 225 head on it to even warrant the swap? Or are some custom brackets my best option?

P.S. Im normally a GM guy so this is why Im asking. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for reading and have a great night.

2. why do you think the new motor is a 170 what did it come out of

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Make up some brackets . They are easier to make than swapping heads on a good engine .

Retro Jim

4. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

1960 dodge lancer or dart i think he said.

5. squirrel

squirrel

last time I tried to swap a really early slant 6 into a later car like that, it didn't work because the hole in the end of the crankshaft was wrong, and the torque converter would not work. They changed that stuff some time in the mid 60s.

You're better off finding an engine that is the correct era....meaning from the 70s

6. yeah i think id make the brackets did the new motor come with its original brackets?

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Chrysler brought out the first alternator the same time as the slant six, 1960. I don't think there was ever a slant that didn't come with an alternator. Does it have any kind of brackets on it at all? Maybe you need the old style before the squareback. They were used up to around 1972.

Here is some info on Chrysler alternator swapping and other electrical solutions.

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

8. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

@Squirrel
    Ick. That may be the answer I needed but did not want. The torque converter and crankshaft hole is something Ill check out as soon as I get home today, as it may create a bigger issue. Thank you.

@Rusty
    No, the engine came with no alternator/generator brackets, but pretty much everything else intact. They released the Alt that early huh? cool thats something I did not know. That, also may work out to be exactly what I needed to know. I'll do some research and see if I can find a set of the older brackets to see if that'll solve this issue. Thank you.

9. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

I think the change was made in 1966.;)

10. mustangsix

mustangsix

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea, 67-ish they changed the crank... I ran into that problem trying to use an early flywheel on a late engine... Some of the late engines that came equipped with automatics aren't machined to accept a pilot bearing for a manual trans either.

12. I believe in 1960 the alternator mounted where the power steering pump goes on newer slants - as it did on A-100 vans - this explains the lack of holes in the head.

1960 seems to be the only year without the holes in the end of the head. I think I might look for another slant . . . :(

13. Valiants came with alternators in 1960, but b and c bodies had generators (alt may have optional)

here what an early generator bracket looks like

[​IMG]

14. squirrel

squirrel

The fun thing is that the pilot size changed in 66, but the transmission input shaft splines changed from coarse to fine in 68 (or thereabouts), so you can't get a fine spline converter (to match your trans) with the early small pilot