Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The rebirth of a 1952 pilot house dodge pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NikkypDMC, Apr 28, 2010.

1. oneqwkfbody

oneqwkfbody

hey brother...nice build! i have a 48-? dodge front end going on my rat pu....can i ask you where you got your front wheel cylinders? i need to rebuild my front brakes...
    thanks! i also have heard of people running the 70's brakes on the older spindles? thanks for any info!

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Sorry guy, but your Town Panel Truck is a truck, and the trucks all had beam axles, not independent front suspension. The passenger cars did have a fairly modern independent front suspension, but not the trucks. www.rustryhope.com does make a disc brake conversion for both the cars and the trucks. If your considering a modern independent front suspension clip for your town panel truck, this era truck matched up nicely with a Dodge Dakota chassis. 90 and older Dakota has a 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern wheels, the 91-96 Dakota has the 6 bolt wheels but can be changed to the 5 bolt by swapping the 5 bolt parts on. A 97 & newer are also 6 bolt wheels, but are a major project to convert to the 5 bolt wheels. Gene

3. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

Adavnced auto can order all the wheel cylinders. They run around $24!!

4. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

He is definitely right on the dakota stuff!

5. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

Nice truck and build! I just found this thread. Dude, I have some serious grease issues too! On my little '63 (avatar pic) it's so thick on the trans cooler lines that they look like they're 3 inches thick. Bitchin' truck, and so bad ass you're keepin the flat head 6.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

Thanks brother!! At one point I actually used a torche to soften the grease. Got it all off tho! Haha!

7. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

Worked on tje Hotrod today.. Tried like crazy to get the shift linkage. Hooked up right. For some reason. I couldn't get it lined up right. I'm sure its just something i'm doing wrong . Good news is the shifter libkage I got works great
    and fit good! Just gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Great progress man! I'm kinda taking a shot in the dark here but is the adjuster nearest the starter on the wrong side? I'm looking at the exploded diagram of the shift linkage and it just looks different... Also if thats the part I sent yah it may be WAYYY out of adjustment because I was having trouble getting my truck to shift, so yeah I messed with it!:eek: That adjuster never had the clip to hold it on when I took it off the truck. It was just held on with a zip tie, which was my problem, so if all that isnt secure it could be giving you trouble too.

Heres the diagram too for reference...

[​IMG]

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have been watching this.. just picked up this last weekend

[​IMG]

10. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

I'm going to fiddle with it this week more.. Its gotta be something i'm doing haha!

11. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

NICE! looks like pretty solid solid parts! Are you going to build your own frame?

Ps. Know anyone with any head light buckets? I found mine but I only have 1 1/2 . I'm missing the outter part of the bucket that connects to the front end..

Got any leads on some running boards? Would you part with the ones in the photo?!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  12. tjmercury

tjmercury

Really glad its coming together for you. Its sure looking good.

13. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

Thanks dood!

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

what part do you need. The headlight bucket or the headlight bezel/ stainless ring?

15. I don't have any extra buckets at the moment but if there are any U-pull its near you jeeps from the 60s and 70s (maybe more years?) have the same headlight buckets as these trucks, they also have cooler headlight rings.

16. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

This is what i've got. I need the outter part . (As u see its missing) Not exactly sure what to call it haha.. I have all the outter rings (chrome rings) they're. Pretty oxidized. No chrome on them and they're all bumpy.lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  17. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

I heard the older Winnebago's had the same stuff too??

18. Yeah they do, they also have orange lenses that will fit into the pilothouse parking light rings. They would make great turn signals, My uncle has an old winnebago but he won't sell me the lights! Haha

19. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

Did a small amount of patch work on the Dodge. Just a patch and a skim coat of Mud to smooth it out. Red did the fenders too. The black primer was pretty beat up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I will keep an eye out for a headlight bucket. Do not think I have an extra one but will look

21. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

Sweet thanks brother! I need some running boards too.

22. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

That shift linkage is kicking my Butt...

[​IMG]

My buddies Bobber (I'm doing some work on it) and the Pilothouse after I redid the front Fenders.

[​IMG]

23. Here you go man I snapped some pictures of the bed. I'm not sure if your truck has a short side or tall side bed (I'm pretty sure they offered both of them on Pilothouse trucks) but I took a few pics of both. I couldn't get many good pictures of the short bed because the truck is buried with stuff but if you need more I'll get em!

http://s736.photobucket.com/albums/xx9/roddermikey93/Bed%20Pics/

24. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

thank you so much brother!

25. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

So I want my hood ornament and all the Others to be black. Anyone have any idea how to smooth them out and get rid of the bumps?

[​IMG]

26. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

Also The shifter linkage hooked up finally! The rod wasn't adjusted correctly. I actually found the original one and it still fought me a bit but its all hooked up now!

27. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

those bumps on the Ram are evidence of oxidation and can be physically removed as with any other oxidized metal. Proceed carefully since there's some detail on the base metal that can be worn away from sanding/buffing. Since you are going to paint this Ram, you might could use some JB Weld to fill in any pock marks, then use an etching primer to bite into the remaining chrome plating. I have heard of examples where this approach was taken to top coat with a chrome paint rather than taking on the expense of re-plating, and with decent results.

28. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

Amazing info brother! I never even thought of that! Thanks!!!

29. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

Here is the original fuse panel. What do you guys think would be a good fuse panel for running 12 volt?

[​IMG]

30. cavisco

cavisco

That is a radio chassis. The controls were remotely mounted under the dash and connected to the chassis via cables. Don't toss it. Do you have the control head and the cover for the chassis?

Scott.