Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Wild 577" Blown Injected AWB Tempest Funny Car build...for the street!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Dec 30, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

Here are some pics of the left side...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other day picked up the re drilled brake rotors. Checked on the rear parts, no progress with that :( will have to motivate them or bring it somewhere else.
    The custom magneto is now finished and should get here any day now.
    Still not sure which engine will go in first- 428 with 6-71 or 541" with 14-71

2. This is the coolest build I have seen in years! Keep it coming! On the edge of my seat following this thread!

3. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Youza!!!! Your work - and your dedication
    - and your ingenuity - is beyond awesome!
    Way, way beyond awesome!!! Four 'thumbs
    up' on everything about this build!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Mart3406
    =============

4. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

" Still not sure which engine will go in first- 428 with 6-71 or 541" with 14-71 "

IMO, for what ever that's worth, start with a known to lay a few passes down to sort the new car out with. After the car's predictable and straight, anything's game. Tom S.

5. first flathead

first flathead

Your project really caught my eye & attention as I built & street drove a 1960 Catalina w/ a 421" 4 spd & a 4:67 posi rear. Car was heavy, but w/ the torque of that engine, it gave the competition fits. Pulled the drive train, put in a stock 389" auto. & reluctantly sold the car. Never saw it again, but I still have the engine & trans. Following along your build, thanks for sharing. Old school rodder from Michigan.

6. Motor_Psycho

Motor_Psycho

Holy shit, this is bitchin man! Subscribed, I love nostalgia drag racing, I love innovation, I love engineering. Envious of your talent.

7. [​IMG]

Now, will cover the frame mods, then later, the rear end and front fenders.
    We actually modified the rear of the frame first with the body off of the frame but, going the show the front work here first.

After much thought and many ways to do it, I decided to extend the front wheelbase 5" and leave the engine in the stock location.

[​IMG]

Here we have the front frame clip cut off and the retangular tubing fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. After some other things that needed to be tended to, now have resumed working on the "Funny" Tempest. Today, ordered a fuel pump and rear tires.
    Also ordered a second pair of axles, 33 spline, to match the 3.90 posi that will now be used for the street.

For racing will be using a spool, 3.64 gears and 35 spline axles. For this-
    Yesterday, I picked up the rear carrier that was machined/fitted with the billet caps. Tomorrow, will drop it off, along with the spool that was also recently machined, to a friend for assembly.

Have also done some work to getting the front disc spindles, etc ready to go on the car.

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

That's the coolest pontiac mill ever...whats the plan for the trans and rear?

I miss my 65's real bad now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

10. There are 2 rears for the car- both use the same housing and brakes
    Street set up is a 3.90 posi with 33 spline billet axles
    Strip set up is 3.64 spool with 35 spline billet axles
    This are the big Pontiac 9.3 rears

3 trans for the car-
    400thm
    6 speed double OD manual
    Lenco 3 speed with Crower dual disc pro series type clutch

11. FEDER

FEDER

Very Cool build!! My Son and I are building a similar car but not for the street. A 1965 Comet with a Blown Alcohol 392 and 3 speed lenco. We narrowed the car 5 inches,cut out 4 inches just behind the door post then moved up the entire rear. Then chopped the top 1 inch.
    And installed a 59 Impala Dash. Just like You its not going to be a class specific car just something cool to build and have Fun. So maybe in next year or so We can pit together at the CHHR. That would be cool. Good Luck with the build. FEDER
    Oh please tell Me Your just tacking that front clip on with that flux core 110 wire feeder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  12. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

wow, that Merc will be bad ass too

13. pregrid

pregrid

wow!! sub'd for sure!

14. Yes, that little flux core welder is something my fried Bill just insists on using. I have a nice Millermatic 200 that I bought around 1988. Bill refuses to use it for no good reason. So, I let me set up things and I myself do all the final welding on the car with the Miller.

nice Merc project by the way!

This car will remain streetable at this time. Next week, I hope to pick up the spool 3rd member and get the rear tires I just ordered- M&H street/strip tires. I did consider some of the cheater slicks and other vintage stuff but, with it being primarily on the street to start, it seemed wiser to buy something with tread. Its a wear item anyway so, other tires are bound to find their way on the back of this Funny Tempest.

15. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Steve
    There is a 66 chevelle that I saw worked on here locally that ran in that same vintage / same style car.
    It was restored at a shop near my work and I got a good look at it one day.
    It has one of the coolest frames ever ….. All round tube ladder style that mimics the perimeter shape of the stock frame.
    Looked like probably 1 ½ tube and the cage tied all into it. The floor pan was kept very stock.

Edit
    i think its this one
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  16. Today the M&H Racemasters arrived along with a few smaller parts. The spool 3rd member should be ready to pick up next week and the axles for the street posi is on order. Next will be fitting the hoop for the cage.

17. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Any chance we could get a few more front frame photos?
    I'd really like to see how you finished up the section cut away to make the square tube fit.
    Thanx; Tom S.

18. Well, like many projects, this one is taking more time than I would like. It's not the only thing I am working on though so, am happy it is moving forward.
    Now, both of these early Pontiac 9.25" rear ends for the Funny Car, street and strip, are assembled and ready for use and abuse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The race set up is a 35 spline spool with 3.64 R&P, billet axles with 11/16" drive studs

The street set up is a 33 spline posi with 3.90 R&P, billet axles with 11/16" drive studs.

Both have billet yokes and all the right parts. They will be used in the same housing. I'll get pics of that in the future. It'll not only have a rear brace but, a custom front brace to support the carrier housing itself. It's another idea I have pondered up.
    With these major expenses now behind me, this is a significant step forward in getting the car together. The costs now to get it on the street and initial strip testing, is relatively modest. So, now it is mainly time.

19. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Uh....yeah. this may be the most interesting thread ever. I'm not a pontiac guy but the engineering and ingenuity you have used on the engine alone make my head spin. I cant wait to see more. Next time I'm back in az I'll keep an eye out for a wicked tempest running the streets:D

20. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

Hey Steve, how's it going?

21. Well, it is going slooow. Have not worked on the Tempest funny in some time. Have many projects going. She has to wait a bit longer as I have other priorities. Other than sitting, all is well and plans are the same, just taking more time.
    When I can, I will go through this thread and show parts of the build that have not been shown yet.
    Thanks for asking.