Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac is Dead... Who Cares, Right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRH, Apr 2, 2012.

1. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

I couldn't resist sobbing over the cars I was raised on, so I thought I would share my thoughts from my useless blog...
    http://theoldcar.blogspot.com/2009/05/pontiac-is-deadwho-cares-right.html

Pontiac is Dead...Who cares, Right?

Pontiac is announced to be no more, just as Oldsmobile was a few years ago. The economic recession (putting it easily) is of course reasonable as to why. And who really cares? I mean, Pontiac wasn't true Pontiac after 1979, when the Pontiac-specific engines finally died. Golly molly, I secretly think that Pontiac's lost their beauty closer to 1970.

So I hear the news about Pontiac's final resting place, and I feel, um, a little sentimental. And I'm still wondering why...nobody likes ponchos nowadays, right? And I always preach that American cars aren't what they used to be. What's with the empty feeling that Pontiac is no more? I guess it's that sentimentality thing. Look what Pontiac used to do. Observe the cutting edges they would reach throughout the '60s. Man, I wish they could have continued past the big break of the oil embargo and emissions crackdown at the beginning of the '70s. I wish the design and concepts would have lead a different path after 1970. I wonder how interestingly mean the Pontiac engines would have become if the GM brass wouldn't have restricted engine size, warranty, etc.

In case you wonder what my real opinion of vintage Pontiac is, check out the ads and pictures below. This is what Pontiac once was...These are just glimpses of what happened, and what could have been. Pontiac really is dead...so who cares, right? Boy, I sure do.

[​IMG]

Remember the awesome OHC Sprint, a totally different approach that John Delorian designed? Over-head-cammed six banger with a timing belt and a Quadrajet, reeking of European flare, yet so U.S.A.

[​IMG]

These '66 and '67s had a neat trim line and that wild OHC 6 in them. Cool, rare, different.

[​IMG]

Remember when Mickey Thompson was the Pontiac racer? This guy raced the Super Dutys, the Bonneville Salt Flats streamliners, and more when Pontiac motors were kings. The above ad shows how in-depth M/T went with the Pontiac's.

[​IMG]

The above ad shows the '62 Grand Prix. These eat, ate, and will continue to eat all of the other full-size cars of 1962 for dinner. Their design: Simply unmatched.

[​IMG]

Yes, 1970 shows not just a last hurrah, but rather a capstone. Look at the lines of the '70 GTO/ Judge. Look at the cute/cool/tough-yet-appealing ad. The Humbler. That car's looks alone dwarfs all the other muscle cars of the day. Yes, all of them.

[​IMG]

Look at the above '68 cover of Hot Rod. Here's unbelievable stuff old McKellar at Pontiac was coming up with. Those aren't plastic models, and those aren't copies. What if those engines could have ever seen production...this is when the sky was the limit.

[​IMG]

Remember when NASCAR wasn't just for rednecks, and the cars really were unique to their builder/racers? I don't either! But in days before my life, this is what happened. Look at the Catalina above. Nope, not a generic clone of every other car on the track with an identical c.i.d. motor. And it's not ran by a giant corporation that blankets a bunch of other cars. Yes those are the real trim, bumpers and headlight bezels. This is when Pontiacs were the leaders. This is also when the term "NASCAR" still actually meant what it says: STOCK Car Auto Racing. I don't get the generic bubba vibe from these early years, when a stock car had to be one sold to the public. And when small-time guys would still be contenders, even if the car they raced was a couple of model years old.

[​IMG]

Testing the Supercars? And leader of the photo pack is none other than the single-most cool factory car ever made, the 1965 Pontiac Lemans GTO.

[​IMG]

More of the same in the above picture? Yes, but I happen to like it. The prom queen at the small-town football game. And the flashy '65 Tempest Lemans convertible, red with Rally I's and the proper thin white-striped bias plies. This is what I remember hometown being. This is what I want hometown to stay.

[​IMG]

The above ad shows the first real muscle car's meek first step into the world. And from this little '64 GTO's beginning came the rush that was followed by all the others.

[​IMG]

Fifties cars, did you say? Yes, I'll take this '55 Pontiac any day over the common tri-five Chevy's. No offense, I just miss my '55 Catalina 870!

[​IMG]

This last picture shows the unbelievable style achieved by Pontiac in 1960. This ad (done by AF/VK, the best illustrators of any car ads ever) displays the unmatched front end offered by Pontiac. The other '60 full size cars don't even come close to the lines of a '60 Ventura, or Bonneville, or Star Chief. The '60 Pontiac feels like a tiny taste of art deco, mixed with Bellflower-era custom jobs, yet totally spot on. Not wannabe custom; just beautiful design. And you should see the back of a '60 Ventura. In 1960, nothing came close to these Pontiacs, and that is why custom builders (from Bellflower or anywhere) didn't change a thing on them. Remove trim? No. Add a custom grill? There is no better custom grill. All that was acceptable was a 2" drop, or like my dad's '60 Ventura, a cool set of chrome reverse wheels on the back with bigger "drag" tires, and plain steel wheels on the front with baby moons.

I guess this is why losing Pontiac left me feeling a little sad. I miss the Pontiacs that the old timers miss, the ones that ended a long time ago. But hey, they still lurk in the shadows...every once in a while an old jewel like these can still be found!

[/QUOTE]

2. jazz1

jazz1

some folks still hang on to them
    [​IMG]

3. I have 2
    both Canadian Ponchcos
    My daily driver is OT but still fun, last of the full framed GMs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I'm putting a 58 Pontiac 370 4 speed in my Willys,and I have Hemi's,Big&Small Block Chevy's, Big and Small block fords, and a 440 six pack chrysler,to choose from, just thought it would be different. I bought a Tri Power for it, but I may go blown.

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

This ones not dead any more----40 coupe-63 super duty-4 speed 9 inch-posi-and 3 carbs of fun:D Gary

Attached Files:

6. Poncho 194.5 in my boy's T roadster...

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

Attached Files:

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

A lot of us who were lucky enough to grow up in the days when a Pontiac was a great looking, distinctive, great performing car. I'm like you, those days ended in about 1970, and I can't tell a new Poncho from a Lexus or Subaru these days.

Even the newer GTO's that have the LS engines in them are no more exciting to me than a Prius. Yeah, they may be quick by today's standards, but they have none of the charm of the old ones.

I was blessed to have a 57 Pontiac hardtop, a Tripower 63 Bonneville convertible, a tripower 66 GTO coupe, and a 4 barrel 66 GTO convertible, and those were exciting cars. When you drove up in one of those people took notice, and they ran like a scalded ape. My 63 convertible was beating 327 Chevy Impalas and it weighed about the same as a small house.

They might as well phase out the Pontiac name, the spirit of them died over 40 years ago as far as I am concerned. :(

Don

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Someone on the news the other day was asked why GM had failed and required the bailout we are still paying for. His response was the committee management style GM had which resulted in a division which was not profitable since 1958 was allowed to continue to bleed for over 50 years. That division was Pontiac.
    I would have missed the great cars that came from GMs "experimental" Division over the 20 years after 1958 but since then??

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Although GM has folded the tent on the Pontiac name plate, those of us that own and keep the Chief alive will keep the name plate in the public eye for many years to come!
    KK
    '57 Chieftain tripower, 3 speed stick.
    '72 Firebird Formula bought new 40 years ago and still like new!

10. ...Didn't you sell that one? :p

But you're right, some of us do hang on to them ;)

Attached Files:

11. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Uh my Pontiac's not dead....not by a longshot!

[​IMG]

12. Also, did I miss something? Didn't Pontiac get laid to rest in late 2010?

13. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

I care. I really like the old Pontiac's. I guess Pontiac died when they became corporate cars and they were using Chevy motors.

This 67 Ram Air XS646616 engine on the dyno is the very first 4-bolt main 400 Pontiac motor released to the public. It is also has the correct 997 heads. This motor is going in my 67 Ram Air car which I am doing a frame off restoration on. I have had my car for 24 years.

Attached Files:

14. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

[​IMG] these two are coming back to live

15. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Some day I will have a mid 50's Poncho in the driveway.. some day..

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to finish my '64 Catalina after I finish my Plymouth. I love the old REAL Pontiacs!

17. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

I care. My first car was a 1965 Le Mans. 215 ci 6 cyl but fun to drive. Wish I still had it.

18. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I got my 65 in the early 80's and I've still got it.

19. teddyp

teddyp

all ways had a love for pontiac my frist and only new car was a 66 2 plus 2 conv. with a 421 loved that car got drafted 2 months after i got it kept it in my garage till i got out

Attached Files:

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Good idea for a thread... and I bet it turns out to be pretty interesting. Gary

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Tell me more about the chopped 65 !

22. I've got a nice 1960 Catalina HT sitting in the garage- I'm enjoying this thread-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Pontiac being dead really has nothing to do with the cool cars we all like. my 2nd car in High school was a 69 GTO. had a 69 Gran Prix a few years after that.

they should have closed up shop when they stopped putting Pontiac motors in them.

24. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

25. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

had a 62 G/P,sad day I had to let it go

26. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) i still don't understand why pontiac was discontinued??

2) However, i disagree about the whole "real pontiac" thing with the engines----gm cars and engines have been mix and match since the mid-70's; No gm division designs/produces their own engines and hasn't since 98 or so. The exceptions are the chevy v-6's, but they were designed over 30 yrs ago.

27. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

i work in the new car business. New Buicks sell better in China than Pontiacs so that is why they got the axe. Insider true story.

28. I think Pontiacs have their place (in the world, in my heart...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and in my garage...

[​IMG]

29. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

30. robber

robber

I love the Pontiacs of days gone by. My 1st real attempt at buildin' a fast car came in 1967. I bought a '60 Catalina Hard Top with a 389. I took out the automatic and put in a T-10 4 speed from a wrecked Corvette. I bought a wrecked Bonneville and used the 3 deuce set up, dual exhaust and factory tachometer from that car. I put in rear air shocks and ran big and littles to give me a wicked stance. Last but not least, a black tuck and roll interior. My girl friend's Dad owned a Chevron station. I used to pull in to his station with his daughter sittng next to me and he would pump the gas, check the oil and wash the windshield:D Gas was cheap... man I loved that Pontiac;)