Register now to get rid of these ads!

what's the deal with this spray on chrome?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

It looked really good on the motel ceiling.

2. chanda1191

chanda1191
    from Iowa

These pieces were done the the spray chrome
    www.ichromefx.com

Attached Files:

• 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    • 039.JPG
      039.JPG
      File size:
      160.5 KB
      Views:
    • 041.JPG
      041.JPG
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

There was segment on Leno's Garage that showed the process.
    They did some pot metal and it looked good.As usual prep is the word.

4. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

that's a big Hell yeah....:cool:

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Gosh, that looks like....money! LOL Beemer greenback...

6. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I for one would paint a heavy blue kandy clear over that shiny background, just enough to see my reflection...

Tin Lizzie likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Really, bottom line here is, "If a unit can be chrome plated, but the subject opts to spray Spectra-Chrome on, it amounts to a kiss of the ass of the EPA."

Don't be a pelosi. Chrome it.

King ford likes this.
  8. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

can you chrome a 1:1 car?..:eek:

9. jacket990

jacket990
    from Arizona

Yes I'm a newbie to THIS site but I'm not a newbie when it comes to trying to find a good chrome substitute. The beemer Lamy chop posted up looks nice in the front end but that door leaves something to be desired or am I the only one that noticed that? Does anyone know what was used on that car?

To 4t64rd did you ever get the stuff done you were planning on with Spectra Chrome? How is it holding up?

10. Five8Rag

Five8Rag

Anyone else with any details? how does it hold after a few months? years?

11. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

The process for all spray chroming is the same, you need a gloss black base, the chrome needs to be put on thinly or it doesnt work and clouds up. then it needs clear coating as part of the process.

I aint tried it, but I have read up on it. I think people who have got shit results probably havent done it right.

12. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

it can be many colors also, but Black and white are the most popular for ovious reasons...

the process you are referring is Chrome Piant, which is true, it needs to go very thinly or it will end up looking like alumminum, BUT the Spray on chrome process the silver layer can be as thick as you want but only enough its laid as the price will go up but if put too thinly the silver layer will not last as long as it should...

that is true...

here, some of my limited experience with Spray on chrome and Chrome Paint process(very similar from the begining)

chrome paint
    Glossy single state urethane black base coat

[​IMG]

followed by the Best chrome paint you can get you hands on (HOK,Alsa,Inate,Spaz,Alclad II) the paint goes very thin and long recoat windows..

Here check how close I came to making the paint look almost as the color of the cap of the Chrome Paint cap
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wow that looks good right? well it needs to be clear coat it or it will rubb off your hands if you touch it too much...:mad: so I had to clear it and automotive clears will ruin the nice chrome look... the best clear I have tested is waterborne clears... some better than others...:eek:

the one in the right its clear coated
    [​IMG]

now same the Spray on chrome chemical process...

same glossy basecoat(this time white)
    [​IMG]

Now after the Real Silver metal layer...(its yellowish because of the room lighting check how yellow the whit paper looks..)
    [​IMG]

both process need a protective clear coat...the clear can be tinted to have all the colors you want
    [​IMG]

similar processes(base coat,clear coat) that ends in similar results but spray on chrome will outshine it by a long shot...:cool:

13. Who does this in the south east?

14. Jdee

Jdee

I have done some in the past.
    Did this Super B dash.
    [​IMG]
    Almost got a nice spray gun from these folks.
    http://angelgilding.com/About_Spray_Chrome.html
    I think you can make the old style Lead mirrors also with this process, I broke
    one on an early car and could not find a Lead mirror replacement anywhere almost bought a system just for that :rolleyes:
    Jdee
    PS: I also did some Spray on Aluminum Coatings. My Silver Nitrate was leaking on top of a can of my ultra fine aluminum Powder. I hear thats not good.........

15. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

16. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

better be careful with that, the last thing you want is a silver fulminat explosion

17. crazyjay

crazyjay

18. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Wonder how it would last, period.

19. If it's alsa chrome it's crap
    Pm for details thumb typing on thejj app

20. yorkshiretike

yorkshiretike
    from uk

Hi everybody, i'm a new member and just thought i'd say hi,,, i have just taken delivery of the spectra chrome hvt system here in the UK, first impressions are very good , yes a bit expensive but the base and clearcoats they provide seem very good the only problem i have so far is dust in my booth, will keep you posted when ive sorted this out and done some experiments on my bike that i am chroming up!

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Google Hall Motorsports in Indy. They have been doing it for a couple of years now and have pics posted. They do paint work for my brother in laws custom cart builds and it looks nice.

22. so i see whats going on here and while i have own thoughts about it. OT but no one mentioned the vader helmet...that being said its not real chrome. altought last week i did see something on tv last week where they sprayed, fiber glass, plasitc , wood. things like that to actually make it covered in metal. so then the actually did the real chroming process with dippin it and everything. now that was cool.

23. willard Ferkovich

willard Ferkovich

I to have been skeptical about this Spectra Chrome System But i will say that i did send off for the information and they had included the DVD I watched it and just a bit ago I went to a shop two states over (ran by a close friend of mine,) found that if done right, the final product looks amazingly perfect. Once again, Prep, Prep PREP...PREP!!!
    Dave told me that the typical product that comes into his shop is NOT...let me say again..NOT perfect! so his shop labor on a typical bumper, Gas Tank, Drive Shaft, Pumpkins, Sheet metal, and anything exposed heavy to the elements is almost not worth having this system, go for the dip. But when it comes to a lot of the secondaries such as screen grilles for speakers, door handles, bezel work, shifter knobs, the unit generates flawlessly and some of the examples he had displayed i couldn't tell the difference between the two!

24. 54Lark

54Lark
    from oregon

Two states over, which direction? I am looking for someone that has hands on experiance with this stuff. Lots of pot metal to fix!!!!!

25. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

for those of you that are subscribed to this thread you may want to subscribe to "DIY Spray On Chrome" thread also because its about to get HOT

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677707&highlight=spray+on+chrome

and if you are interested on Alsa new "Stretch Chrome" you can also subscribe to below thread

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677707&highlight=spray+on+chrome

26. All out diesel performanc

All out diesel performanc
    from Canada

Ok guys . Do you think any thing comes easy ? Building hot rods or rat rod , u will know nothing comes easy . I've been in this business for 30 yr building every mans dream , and trying to make that dream come true .ive been spraying spectra chrome for two years up north here where conditions suck to produce a good product . But yet I've produced some amazing stuf , for my self and others .ive seen my product two years later and it still looks amazing . It works and lasts . Is it forever , I can't tel u that . Marriages don't last forever , yet we still take the vowes . Nothing is forever . Real chrome last , but still fades and rusts . That's a fact . From what I see for show quality spray on chrome will last to , because your going to put your car in a perfectly heated garage when not showing it . " the wife with the million dollar tit job you didn't wont any one to look at , except when u wont to show them . ... Reality says we like to show them . There for they don't last as long . The product dose work and dose last an amount of time . How long I don't have the experience to say , but so far two years , for my customers. Nothing is forever. I've chromed engine parts , bumpers 1927 model t front ends , plastic and more . It is very hard to get a good finish but is possible . So becarful who u get to do spray on chrome . Get a profile from them and customer names to call so u can find put if they know what their doing
    Wish all the best to all of your :)

27. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

OK, hate to throw this into the mix, but recently I heard of a shop in SC (next door neighbor) doing chrome powder-coating. I haven't SEEN it myself, but I'm told you couldn't tell the difference unless you were right up on it. AND, being powder-coat, it's pretty tough. I got real interested because I'm going to need to do the bumpers on my OT car in the next couple of months, and being a poor boy, can't afford the real thing. Has anyone else heard of this?

28. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I will be testing Caswell´s chrome powder coat, I myself expect it to be as good as my Innate Chrome paint jobs, but more durable, we will see

29. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

friend had a 40 chevy coupe grill done , turned out looking like old aluminum , , maybe the the powder coat guy wasnt the proffesional he thought he was , maybe the powder has improved , let us know how it turns out if you get something powder coated

30. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Frankly, I would be quite content with "old aluminum", as long as I wasn't being charged a chrome price. Like I said, this will be on an OT drag car we're tinkering with, so as long as it looks good from afar, it's alright if it's far from good.