Register now to get rid of these ads!

About to lose another original.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ParkinsonSpeed, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Well i was doing a search on CL and found a 30' Model A being parted out. Well its all complete, running, original and nice paint.... Selling the running chassis out from under it and the fenders.... Red flag, Paris, TX. Does anyone remember Morbid Rodz? The Shoe box called Land Shark? Well these guys have this car and im scared to know what is going to happen and what will be cut up to make this a "Morbid Rod". Im not into restorations but i dont believe in taking a very nice original and chopping it up to make a rat rod out of it. I hope someone else is with me on this one... I wish there were some vigilantes that could take care of these kind of problems.

2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i have a bone stock 30 coupe and a 28 Rpu that is on its way to be all tradtional.

My 30 will always stay stock, no matter what. I look outside and it makes me smile to think that. Hopefully the running gear will go to a good home.

3. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Yea hopefully so. If you have the guts do a search on Morbid Rodz to see there previous work....

4. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Hey P-Speed, not to hijack you, but I'd love to see where you're headed with your avatar! ...that Dodge body is one of those woefully overlooked ones in my mind.

5. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Well right now its on the back burner, we saved it from the crusher and now its a side project hopefully soon to be a cruiser.

6. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

How about the Marmon 16 Convert that The Hot Rod Garage did? No doubt the car is gorgeous, but what's next an original Duesenberg?

7. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Just this & I'll quit messin' with your thread, have you checked the nice little white one in the 'Dodge Customs" section of the Rikster's site? ...if not give it a look.

8. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I guess its me getting older and seeing that preserving some things are far better than making something cool.

9. Never trust anyone who substitutes Ss for Zs, or has the following words in their company name: Insane, Extreme, Psycho

10. Anderson

Anderson

There are enough stockers around...it's just a model A coupe.

Besides, my friend can use the fenders :)

11. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

First you hated it.

Now you realize he thinks it's "something cool".

Make something cool, while it's still allowed.

I would defend his right to build what he wants, like I would defend yours.

12. Oh......
    Excuse me,I thought this was a HOT ROD site,I musta stumbled into the Restoro boys club.....
    Seriously guys where does this end?
    Its gotta be either OR...which is it?

13. I know what you mean ParkinsonSpeed. I've been turning wrenches on hotrods for 4 decades and love them as much as anyone, but these stock Model A's and T's have made it 80, 90 and sometimes 100 years and it seems you get to the point where if they've made that long as good solid, running originals, they should be left that way.

Now an A or T with serious issues....it's fair game in my book.

14. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

Vigilantes are driven by fear and hate.

They don't believe in Freedom or rights...

If your fears give you the right to take away his Freedom, how much Freedom would be left for you?

15. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

I agree with Choprods. The were ALL original once...
    1,261,053 model A's produced in 1930.

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Last time I checked the OWNER of a vehicle is allowed to do whatever he or she chooses to do with it. If you don't like it, offer to buy it from them and save it.

I have a friend who had a restored Model A for sale some years ago. The car was a multiple award winner at major (national) shows. I teased him (he was in his late 60s at the time) about how a friend of mine wanted to buy it and turn it into a hot rod. He said, "I don't give a damn if he burns it, as long as he pays me what I'm asking for it."

17. Hot rods rock, restored, not so much.

18. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

What Arkie said. Anyone who doesn't like the notion of parting out -- or hot rodding -- an old car always has the option of laying down his cash in the name of preservation. As is always true, money talks.

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I am with you 100%
    This kind of shit is a joke. Plus, these Morbid guys...ive seen much worse. Most of theyre hot rods would be rather cool just by gettin rid of the extended front ends. This one isnt too far from what is popular here as it is.
    I dont care about hot rods thou and im no expert on them as well, so i might be wrong. Still w/ you on the freedom issue.

Attached Files:

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

fyi...the marmon body was hand fab'd from scratch...the only original thing they started with was the cowl. :p

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Someone should tell BASS and Rolf they need to restore their model A's...

22. there are only hot rods, and future hot rods. get used to it.

23. birdman42

birdman42

Anyone can restore one,but it takes a real man to cut one up:)

24. davidh73750

davidh73750

from I've seen on coupe bodies its almost cheaper to buy one together than just the body. people want $2500 for body only and you see one together for 1900 at the pre war swap meet. The Pickers show found a nice one for $5500 and said it was top dollar for it no meat on the bone for a profit. More or less a running, driving car

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I hate to see nice old stockers get cut up as well. the world doesn't need another chopped and channelled model A coupe.

26. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It's their business and that's how they make their money . Yea it's sad sometimes but if I had it , you already know what I would do with it !
    I would love to have an original to drive around town and so on but I am a gear head at heart and would chop it up and sell off what I can't use too . The only way you could save it would have the parts they needed to build the hotrod they want . There are so many chopped up everyday for hotrods and kustoms . Think about all the ones sitting in the fields , barns and woods with trees and weeds covering them .
    At least they are selling off the good parts for someone else to use for their original restoration .
    In the end , it's their car , they paid for it so they can do whatever they want to it , right ?

Retro Jim

27. nutajunka

nutajunka

By the thread title, I thought we were losing another hotrod pioneer....:rolleyes:

28. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Hey i never once said i wanted to see it restored, i was only thinking of a bad plastic surgery job on a 70 year old would only make her look worse right??? I was just hoping that it doesn't get the rat rod treatment because there are still alot of body's out there for that reason. And yes people need the parts but i would hate to see a trend start with people that have more cash then brains and start hacking up restored or nice originals for hot rods. But again this is my opinion and im sure one day i will come to the cross roads of a similar decision but until then im sticking to letting the rat rodders stay away from originals.

29. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

"START?" Where have you been??

30. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

A new trend? People have been cutting up old, stock and restored cars for over 50 years. . . if I pulled a '32 three window out of a time capsule I'd take the fenders off and chop it. . . well I'd probably sell it and buy a house, but if I was going to keep it, off with it's head!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.