Register now to get rid of these ads!

hey flathead guys, i need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffsullivan, Apr 1, 2012.

1. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

so i aquired some flathead brackets that let you mount the newer delco alternator on them (i believe they are both ford, just different years) from a buddy and i can wanting to start cutting them on my own to sell. so my question is this: they both have a real thick bottom on them (like 1/2" or 3/4" or something, i didnt measure them), and 1 has 2 holes tapped in the middle. will it work to just cut these out of 1/4" mild steel or does the engine require this thick part for it to work? i attached a pic of the brackets after i test cut them to check everything. thanks for any help, and if these work i will be selling them soon.:D

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

the alternator hangs there with the belt pulling on it, so yeah, it needs to be thick or it'll bend.

3. Flatman

Flatman

I made mine from 1/4" mild stock and it wasn't strong enough. I ended up welding on another 1/4" around the hoop and behind the mount to bulk it up. The wider one should be for a late flathead, not sure what the threaded holes are for, perhaps a modified fan mount.

Flatman

4. metalman

metalman

The bolt holes are for a stock fan that runs off a separate belt then the pumps, generator. I know 46/48 had them set up that way. IMHO if your going to run an GM alternator might as well run a electric fan.

5. designs that work

designs that work

Jeff,
    I had a bunch of brackets C N C out of aluminum for the mini denso alternators. I have had them in a hot rod shop, taken to Turlock and other swap meets. You need two types, one for the pre 1948 and one for the 1949 and later engines. Speedway sells a pulley for the 5/8 wide belt. Still have the majority left.
    Good luck
    DT

Attached Files:

6. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Allen Grove .com Makes them also ,real quality piece

7. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

thanks for the input. would 3/8" be strong enough? or is it going to be a double plate or machined deal only to work in the real world?

8. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

if these parts are easy to get,and several people are making them,then why bother?
    Your just going to whore up the market.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I just modified the stock 8BA bracket & strap

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto on just buying one....They're definitely inexpensive enough. They work, and by using a Delco single wire alt, you get a cleaner installation.

4TTRUK

12. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

i cant beat that price chromed im sure, but i can beat the hell out of his made in china shit!!:eek:

mine are made in the usa (by me)!:D. i just thought if i could burn them out and sell them for $20 a piece or something then maybe it was worth it.

just trying to test the waters a little, make affordable parts, and pay the bills....

13. CNC machines cutting out flat stock are like the vinyl sign machines with a '' Sign Store" on every corner. All starving and running the price down. Getting product is easy, selling it is a different story.

14. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

that why i was looking for a little imput. i dont have a problem selling my products, just that when i dont know about something i look to those who do for a little help before i market something, guess that was the wrong thing to do. if people dont want to give imput about the question at hand then thats fine, but i didnt start this thread for people to start shitting on my business or products. i thought this was a forum for hot rodders to help other hot rodders, not "jerry springer" on the net. oh well, to each his own.

thanks to everyone who had imput that wasnt a waste of our time. i will continue (for the rest of my life) to learn from others, and i will post many many more questions on here, ill just try to ignore the know it all nay sayers that dont have anything better to do with there time than bitch about people trying to sell a quality product at an affordable rate.

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Jeff, Don't give up on your manufacturing dream. Remember, Bob Drake started with just his locking gas cap.

16. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

thanks. its funny because when people see my custom intake manifolds i make they say "thats how edelbrock got started", really weird to think that way!! im just a guy trying to make a go of it from home so i can be around my kids more instead of being gone working construction like i did in the past.

again, thanks for the useful input, both good and bad. i have more items i am going to be putting on the market soon so if i have any other questions i will post them. thanks again, jeff.

17. beauishere

beauishere

You asked a question that indicated that you don't know much about the product that you're proposing to manufacture. Usually inspiration comes from trying to solve a problem. But getting upset because folks tell you that there isn't much of a market for your get rich quick scheme isn't 'Jerry Springer', it's just good advice.

Your product doesn't solve a problem or fill a hole in the market. Both are necessary to be successful. Don't kill the messenger, say thanks and move on to something else.

Good luck.

18. daddio211

daddio211

After seeing your website it certainly appears you have the tooling and ability to make these, but at $20 each I dont see how you can have a profitable business. Material costs, tool costs, electricity, and your time all amount to more than that. I'm a business owner too, and I think of these things constantly!

At $40 a piece you'd be competitive, and stand to make a little money for your family. Put that profit away to build your business and unforeseen emergencies. Also, get a reputable chromer and work out a dewl for maybe 20 at a time.

19. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

no, i get it. i didnt know if they would work so thats why i asked the question. what did piss me off is when one person sais im going to "whore up the market" or the other said that machines like mine are dime a dozen and owners are all starving for work and running the prices down. i do take offense to that, im not starving (trust me, im 250lbs!!:eek:), just trying to provide a quality service at an afforable price. i would say to a guy, "hey there is a lot of that stuff on the market so good luck", not "your whoring the market" or "starving for work and running the prices down...." all i was shooting for was an answer to whether or not the material would hold up to that application or not, thats all. this wasnt supposed to be "one of those" threads, just a little q&a.

20. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

thanks for the advice. some of my bigger ticket items leave me with a lot of scrap so i try to cut the smalls out of that, thats the only reason i can sell that stuff cheaper. i like $40 a pc better than $20 a pc!! haha

21. beauishere

beauishere

I see your point. But that's the 'blessing and a curse' thing about the HAMB. The nuggets are never laying on top of the ground, once in a while you gotta dig through the shit to get to 'em. Hell, my biggest complaint about this place is that it's getting too polite now-a-days. I remember my first post with a question about my coupe. In that single thread my manhood was questioned, they dropped a few f-bombs, told me my car was stupid, and then informed me that my mother was of questionable character. Man, until someone kindly explained the whole introduction requirement I was googling up Ryan's address to go kick some ass.

But I digress. Good luck and I hope you make a few shekels. Nice website too. Aloha

22. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

haha, that is one of the funniest things i have read in a long time:D