Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 Dodge 1 1/2 ton truck cab the same size as the 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jen......, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Jen......

Jen......

I know of a person who has a 1 1/2 ton they are willing to sell to me but want to be certain that the cab is same size as the 1/2 ton model . Hopefully someone here will have the information

thank you for your help

Jen

2. killa fab

killa fab

My 46 dodge started out in life as a ton and a half truck. Same cab/doors as the 1/2 tons just different big fenders and stuff up front.

3. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Yes, the cab is the same, but only the cab. 1935 is a transition year for Dodge, the early 35's were suicide doors with a hole in the roof, the later 35's standard doors with a solid roof.

4. Jen......

Jen......

thank you everyone for the help and information. i will be going to look at it today and see about purchase. the problem maybe transportation to me after but will have to make calls to see how much expense that will be since its a complete vehicle not a cab as i was told earlier

and this is a later 1935 since no hole in roof and doors not suicide , although party seems to think its up to a year of 1938 but what pictures i see and what i been able to google its a 1935 i could be wrong

Jen

5. elitecustombody

elitecustombody

Late 35 cab is very simillar to 36 and without knowing minor differences you wouldn't know. I can tell you that the easiest way to tell is the firewall on late 35-36 is flat,37-38 has a big step in center,also top of the windshield frame/roof is almost flat across,while 37-38 have a noticable arch.Late 35-36 share same dash design/layout and windshield crank-out mechanism and the little crank,the dash top has soft and flowing design with oval glovebox,while 37-38 have two large gauges,flip-out windshield crank knob,square glovebox,rectangular dash badge. The size of the cab is same late 35-38,same doors,same interior garnish.

6. Jen......

Jen......

i will look this over further when i have it at home , it does look to me like 35-36 though.

it has a 9ft pickup bed as well on this with metal floor which i think is unusual and maybe rare?

i'm wondering if i can use the original frame when i go to build it as a half ton truck?

the pickup bed is that useable as well for 1/2 ton? it also has the fenders for it.

7. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

If it's the truck in your avatar, it looks like a one ton pickup. I think they were factory made on the larger chassis, with the 20" wheels, 4 speed, and larger sheet metal. First one I ever saw though. All Dodges were all steel, my '36 half ton has a steel floor bed.

8. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I'd like to see more pictures of that truck. Does it have rear fenders? Does it say DODGE on the tail gate?

9. Jen......

Jen......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will upload a few more pictures after I am done eating. And yes the tail gate does say Dodge

10. Jen......

Jen......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

couple pictures of the fenders for it , am glad these were there

Jen

11. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I believe that's a rare one you found there. All the big Dodges I've seen were sold as cab/chassis with a flatbed or dump bed, there is even a '36 Dodge firetruck around here, but I never saw the 1 1/2 ton rear fenders before, Or the 9' Dodge bed. Those fenders look fairly straight.

12. Jen......

Jen......

fenders have had some repairs done to them over the years but fixable , same with the bed it has had alot of repairs and from what i see alot of weight in it too.

tomorrow we go to pick this up and bring it home just hope its a safe trip

Jen

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That big pickup is such a goodie! They were made by all the pickup manufacturers but seem to be the rarest of the rare when it comes to cab/bed style truck.
    Same goes for the big chassis panel trucks especially the real long wheelbase ones.

14. Jen......

Jen......

that is what i am thinking as well on rarity , i know the pilot house trucks would occasionly have these and i seen a few but nothing in dodge of this early years.

i managed to make it home with help of friends who had trailer . on the way home we stopped at a gas station while sitting there someone came to us and asked if we were interested in more parts for this truck . i was a bit shocked on the luck of this happening and asked what they had. they said they had a couple doors and dash pieces so i asked how far away they lived and said a few miles so we went there. when we got there i noticed another pick up bed this one the 6ft one and asked if that was for sell and he said yes. so a deal was made on all he wanted to sell and we loaded more on this truck to come home with. i got a extra pair of doors , a short bed for it and another hood and some dash pieces . he said he knew of where a frame was that would be right year for this truck to make it 1/2 ton and would look in to that for me as well. i also got to look at his truck he has had since 1967 it also is a 1935 dodge truck . i about fainted on how nice the grill was and the headlights he had in the house .

overall this was a very good day to pick up this truck as i got to meet someone i would not seen on any other day

Jen

P.S. i am still in need of sheetmetal to make this 1/2 ton and i also see i need a windshield crank assembly since this one is lost. almost lost the windshield as it wasnt even bolted in to the hinges at top lucky i checked that.

15. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

wow véry nice day indeed so it seems!! if you ever come across a set of frontfenders for a 35 1/2T
    I'll build you a statue here in Belgium!

cheers!

16. karilane

karilane

i know this is a little late but i have a early 35 1/2ton and my friend has a late 34 1 1/2 ton and NO THE CABS ARE NOT THE SAME the 1 1/2 ton is a few inches longer. also the dashes changed.

17. Cash Prophet

Cash Prophet

Does anyone know where I can find. A lower windshield bracket for my truck, and also help me figure out the year?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

1392352211392.jpg

18. countrytravler

countrytravler

1/2 to heavy Dodge cab are the same size. Dash is the same. Miner differences. Toe board different angle-1/2 ton has frame mounts riveted to the bottom of fire wall, 3/4 and up dont have. The fire wall is different, its higher. 1/2 has 2 rad support rods coming from the outside top of fire wall to rad support-heavy has one rod down the center. Basicly, the bare cab without fire wall is the same for US trucks. Even the 3 ton 36 truck is the same as 2nd series 35 and 36 1/2 ton is the same dimensions. We have about 30 Dodge trucks from 33 to 48 1/2 ton to 3 tons.

19. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Good info ....thanks.