Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is my dad crazy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NotNuRodz, Mar 31, 2012.

1. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

My dad can not pass up a cheap old car no matter what it is, as long as it's mostly there and looks relativly solid. He usually doesn't make them into much, but often manages to turn quite the profit after a bit of cleaning and mechanical work.

My worries now is that he may have gone to far with this one! It's a 1963 AMC Ambassador and has a 327 with a 3 speed on the floor with an extra shifter to put it in and out of overdrive.

[​IMG]

Things started to get crazy when he found some pictures of an Ambassador in an old issue of Hot Rod that had been turned into a drag car. So he decided he was going to try and recreate that car, but of course one thing lead to another and his car has a huge hole in the hood.

here are some pictures of the car now, I can't decide if I like it or not. The stance is not that bad and the way my cheater slicks tuck up in the back give the car an alright look and I think he shouldn't do anything drastic to it now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please help me convince my dad not to do anything drastic to this car that can't be undone, I don't want to be seen in public with him if he just makes this thing look dorky :p

2. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Fix the rust issues and yer done, Not a bad little car really.
    And we're all crazy, aren't we? That's why we do what we do.

Scotty

3. I think it's got the look right now. Fix the little rot that I can see and drive the wheels off this season.

4. firingorder1

firingorder1

You should be as crazy as him.

5. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Your dad is crazy like a fox. Fix and keep as is.

6. 51delivery

51delivery

7. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

I'm glad you all so far aren't hating what you see, I guess it's just when I hear my dad talk about his vision for this car that I throw up in my mouth a little. I'll try to keep him under control and hopefully he will have a clean looking car.

8. Bithcin little car I think look past the rust.

9. All dads are crazy. Just learn the warning signs so when it happens to you, you will know.:)

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I think your Crazy for saying Dad is Crazy ;). I like it.

11. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i like the car the way it is fix the rust and enjoy it , keep your pop scrounging it keeps em going

12. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I agree with those that say fix the rust and drive it as is, looks pretty cool!

13. raidmagic

raidmagic

So far I like your dads vision better than yours. If you can't dig where this is headed you're the crazy one.

14. Ratticis

Ratticis

It's gotta be the kids that cause that

15. Well what is his vision? Right now id say so far so good.

16. I think it's pretty cool. So what else does your dad want to do to the car?

17. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

ONLY thing I'm not digging is the scoop. Too squared off for the body style. I'm thinking maybe the scoop from a 71 Hornet or the likes might be more complimentary. But that's just my opinion, agree, disagree, whatever. Overall, I like it! I HOPE to be HALF as crazy as your Dad one day...

18. GaryC.

GaryC.

I like it. He's not nuts.
    Above all; remember that he's your dad.
    Someday you'll cherish the memory of his eccentricity.

19. Your dads not crazy, he's just old. The lines of it would make a cool drag car. Bracket Race, Modified Production?

20. F&J

F&J

2dr, buckets, stick with a factory O/D, and a decent sized car for todays use. winner.

21. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

Yeah I'm not feelin' the love for the scoop either, in fact I say do away with the scoop completely, fix the rust and smile like crazy at all the gawkers as you drive by!! Man I really like them pie crusts. So tell us, what is your dad's plan for this ride?? We're big boys, we can take it.....

22. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

I like it. Fix the rust and drive it.

23. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

I like the way it is looking now, not perfect , but hey in the old days nothing really was, thats what made them fun.Definately keep the "twin stick" shifters , console and buckets seats, they make the car and are not only a cool reminder of how they did it in the day, but probably worth some bucks, and a hard to find option.

24. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I like it just the way it is. It's different. I wouldn't even fix the rust because that's all I do every day. It never ends. Just drive it.

25. fix the rust, paint her bright orange and throw down a matte black on the hood to make it look fiberglass.

Thats all id do and id be proud to get behind that babys wheel.

26. cl350rr

cl350rr

I like the look of it

27. Your Dad is just the custodian for the next owner of that car ,.... but he probably already knows that.

28. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

You are lucky to have a father who is into interesting cars.
    One thing I have learned in my almost seven decades on this planet.....
    ...........insanity is hereditary.... you get it from your kids!!
    Now, go out there and help the guy do whatever he is doing....and learn.
    Don't be an ingrate little snot!! (smiling)

29. slammed

slammed

Drive it. As is. To make the perfect-o's go mad with OCD, leave the rust! And on the side's of the scoop (in tiny lettering) paint 'suck this'. YBNRML?