Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint VOC dissipation?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodi, Mar 27, 2012.

1. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

A lot of good info to be had as well by searching :"NESHAP Standards"

National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants..

I'm no tree hugger either, but I have seen the difference that the technology available today can make!

2. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I can't believe I am reading "treehugger" slurs in a post about exposing kids to chemicals . . . I think some people are too locked into thier knee jerk anti-regulation stuff being sold by the gop. This is excatly the kind of government regulation we want. . . thanks to the OP for doing the right thing. It sounds like you are likely out of a job over this but man you are doing the right thing.

If it is "treehugger" to want us to collectively work together through our laws and taxes to regulate businesses using chemicals next door to a day-care. . . then find me a tree to hug.

3. Don't get me wrong, cause I'm in agreement about the safety issues ;)

BUT.....who was there first--the body shop or the daycare? I'm under the impression there's no way a body shop could open up right next to a daycare..you know, the zoning issue....:confused:

Still dumb what they're doing.

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

We've become so allergic the the word "regulation" that we now have to apologize in advance for invoking even the good regulations. We certainly don't want to upset the anti-regulation crowd.

Nobody wants government interference until the neighbor starts stinking up the neighborhood. Then they want all the regulation they can get.

5. 53210

BANNED
    from canada

who was there first,the paint shop or the daycare,if the shop was,someone dropped the ball on zoning when it comes to putting a daycare that close to a industrial business.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

It doesn't matter who was there first. Zoning assumes that the business is going to be compliant with safety rules, plus the OP says it's a "hobby shop" and not a commercial business anyway. No matter who came first, it's the shop that's at fault for not fixing the paint booth.

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Lighten up P T L............Just a figure of speech, as I want nothing but the best for our children!!!!!................I went OUT of my WAY to insure that my 3 Boys had minimal exposure to said hazards!

8. 53210

BANNED
    from canada

Zoning doesn't "assume" anything,the city is supposed to check before they allow businesses in certain areas,a daycare that close to a bodyshop is just stupidity.

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You may be right about the stupidity, but wrong about zoning. It just doesn't work that way.

The city isn't going to deny a daycare a permit based upon a neighbor's bad behavior. That would be punishing the wrong party.

10. toddc

toddc

Not sure what kind of booths you guys have in the States, but ours have to have a carbon scrubber filter or an incinerator so they only release "air". The chemicals and the solids should be dealt with.

Regarding the original question of the thread, if you can smell it - its doing you harm :mad:
    My first job was a similar deal with a dodgy booth and the owner was illegally dumping the waste from the wet filter. I told the EPA but they didn't give a fuck.....

11. Our booths just pull out the fumes. The filters pull away the solids so they don't damage the fans,etc. That's probably the reason why in NY it's difficult to open a shop and it has the be commercially zoned for manufacturing