Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 Speed Manual v. 5 Speed Manual???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjm73, Mar 28, 2012.

1. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

One more thing to consider that no one else has mentioned. The M5R2 is a large transmission and may not fit well or easily into a T Bucket. That being said, I have run a 3 spd + OD, 4 spd toploader, and a M5R2 in my '51 F-1, and the 5 spd is by far the best and most enjoyable of the 3.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Go with the Mazda 5 speed ,they quite tough. Stick a 3 speed knob on it for all the nostalgia critics.

3. tjm73

tjm73

I thought about that too. When I compare it to a Ford 4R70W (an automatic that's available to me and that I would run if I were to go auto), it's not much bigger. Slightly yes. And my bucket won't be scraping the Earth. I like super low cars, but they don't seem very prectical to me so I'm going in a slightly different direction on that front. I plan to build taller.

4. F&J

F&J

:D.. Kerry, a T bucket does not need a 3 speed to be traditional IMO, but an old time hot rod with an early motor sure feels and sounds sweet with a top shift 3 speed or a column shift 3 speed.:cool:

Times change; when I was a teen in the 60s, we wanted a 4 speed that we certainly could not afford. 45 years later and some of us want the 3 speeds back:rolleyes:

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I never once considered a five speed,
    a big old torque motor in a light car needs a three speed

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

The main reason I used a T5 is that the integral shift mechanism puts the shifter on the centerline of the floor, well forward of the seat, and frees up a lot of space underneath for pedals, exhaust, and whatever else. I could probably have squeezed in a 3 or 4 speed with a side shifter by moving the shifter and bending the stick like a pretzel so it wasn't coming through the floor under my right leg, but why bother. Plus, I got overdrive with less work.

Bob

7. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

You have to look at the ratio of the gears as well. A buddy of mine just swapped his 3 speed for an S10 5 speed in his 6 cylinder 68 El Camino. 3rd gear in the 3 speed was 1:1 and 5th gear in the 5 speed was only .86, so there really wasn't much difference in the RPMs(though it doesn't bind up like the crappy old 3 speed shifter).

8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have a T-5 behind a built four banger and a '39 transmission with Zephyr gears behind another built banger. Hands down the T-5 is far better.

9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I have a '39 Ford that's going in my A build but later on down the road, I want to build a modified with the front section of a Model A I have with a 5-speed that way I can drive whichever depending on what mood I'm in..

To each, their own.

10. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

the three speed will work great with that combo. 3rd gear is 1:1 and if you use a rear axle in the 3.0 to 3.5 range it will be perfect. Consider shifter placement with the five speed. Might not be in the best spot. i just think externaly shifted old style transmisions are easy to work with and have all the gears you need in a hot rod. T bucket is a light car, sbf will make good power, three speed will be plenty.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went all the way to 6 in my A. It is topped with an old 3-speed shifter.

12. bluthndr

bluthndr

I guess I've always thought if I wanted to see what it was really like I'd go with a 3-spd to drive something just as "they" did "back then". For a driver I think id want a 5 speed.

I do agree with above, that a 3 speed in a t bucket behind a sbf will get you down the road just fine as long as you're not crazy with the rearend ratio.

13. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

I have NEVER regretted putting a T5 in my coupe.

14. tjm73

tjm73

I'm gonna snag the M5. I can run a 3.00 axle and 1-3 be better than the 3 speed with 3.31's plus I have 4th and 5th. Almost like having double overdrive. After thinking about it, it is just so much more versatile. I could get away with running a 2.75 R&P if I wanted.

The M5 ratios are 3.91/2.24/1.50/1.00/0.79 and the 3.03 ratios are 2.99/1.75/1.00. I will probably run 3.08 or 3.15 in a narrowed F-150 8.8.

And skipping gears is nothing new to me. I do it all the time in every stick car I drive.

15. I normally would go with the 5 speed, but I am building a chopped 40 ford pick up, and just went out and bought a 3 speed for my Y block, and am going to run 3 on the tree just for a change. Thought it would be neat.______________________I CONCUR!

16. JimSwann

JimSwann

Im running the M5R2 in my truck. The trans is a 92 model and has no speedo drive, I think 90 and back have a drive.

Jim

17. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

Use the 5 speed.

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I had a 3 speed in my '50 Plymouth. Always ran well, but thought a 5 would be better.