Register now to get rid of these ads!

what should the kingpin angle be?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick english, Mar 28, 2012.

1. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

ok,so im trying to save money by using what i have,but nobody makes a straight tube axle that will accept 1960 ford f100 spindles.so im going to have one made.im unsure of what the kingpin angle should be.do i use the the the same angle on my new axle as the f100?also,i dont know what that angle is.how do i figure that out?does anyone know offhand what it should be?the new axle will be a few inches narrower the the stock f100 axle..does that change anything?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The kingpin angle needed depends on the spindle ,so use the same as the stock axle. Usually the factory manuals will give what is known as spindle included angle which is what you need to know. A good front end shop will also have the specs.

3. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

The same as Ford factory specs.
    You should be able to search the internet.
    (I don't "Google" as their politics differ with mine)

4. Master of None

Master of None

5. 1967gtafb

1967gtafb

I always thought it was 9 degrees hugh!

6. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

cool thanks guys.

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

He is not asking for the CASTER angle.

8. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

anyone have experience with voodoo kustomz in santa ana ca?

9. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

now im confused...

10. Master of None

Master of None

Are you asking for the angle that would control the initial camber of the king pin or are you asking for the angle of caster when you mount the axle?

11. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

the camber of kingpin

12. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

im also guna need to know what angle to mount the axle too..i used to have a copy of the tex smith hot rod book but i gave it back to my bud..and im still new to this.anyone have any good links to how i could figure this out myself?the axle will be going under a 60 falcon.

13. Master of None

Master of None

If you still have the axle mounted to the truck, you should be able to use a angle gauge on the bare axle( spindle removed). Make sure you have the truck at ride height and weight. It should give you a rough idea of what it should be. Or like mentioned above go to a reputable alignment shop and see if they have a chassis manual for your truck.

14. Master of None

Master of None

You want 7 degrees of Caster to avoid the death wobble. P.s. you can get a magnetic angle gauge at a Menard's or Low's or home depot for arround $15 .

15. 117harv

117harv

I think he is refering to king pin inclination, not caster.

16. F&J

F&J

Why are you saying 7 degrees caster on:
    -an unknown vehicle, but perhaps "a F-100" ?
    -unknown type of steering box P/S or Std, or box ratio
    -unknown front to rear weight bias
    -unknown wheel offset (and scrub radius error)
    -unknown total weight on the front axle

We desperately need a tech article on caster selection, the 7 degree is always thrown around like it's a mandatory setting for everything, when in realitly, it is just the halfway point in old Motors Manual caster specs for 30s/40s transverse Fords. That spec is 4.5 to 9 degrees. The mid point is 6.75

17. Master of None

Master of None

He mentioned a 60 Falcon, so I assumed, which is a bad thing to do, gasser. So along with this I assumed parallel leafs, set up like a Speedway kit which recommends 7 degrees , so vega box. I should ask more questions, and assume less.

18. bobscogin

bobscogin

Again, he's asking for kingpin inclination angle so he can have an axle fabricated. Castor is a function of axle installation. He'll need that, but not until he has an axle to install.

Bob

19. Get the camber spec's for the donor F-100.

Put your spindle in a vice and set the flange to the correct camber angle using a digital protractor.

Then measure the angle of the king pin and build your axle to that angle.

20. Master of None

Master of None

Just trying to help.:(

21. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

you assumed correct.

22. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

yep...so do i use the same angle on my new axle being made as the f100?also does anyone know what that angle is for sure?the truck axle&spindles came off a 1960 ford f100.

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Have you talked to anyone about building the axle?
    If so im suprized that he didn’t tell you to simply supply him with a spindle and kingpin.

24. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

so far youre the only one making sense to me..thanks for the help bro.i appreciate it.right now i guess im just trying to figure out what the kingpin angle should be on the axle being made...ill figure out the other shit later when i get the axle..

25. As far as i know .....
    Camber and kingpin inclination angle are not the same.
    Camber is an alignment term.
    kingpin inclination angle comes into play of the fabrication of the axle based on the spindles.

26. Master of None

Master of None

Your right, I just wasn't sure how to describe it with out drawing a picture.

27. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

haha yep...bcchopit told me to send him the kingpins and a spindle and he would figure it out...but theres a guy in santa ana 1 min away from my work.shops called voodoo kustoms.i was thinking about asking him to do it for me and i just wanted to get some more info so i dont sound like a total dummy when i go in..

28. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I just know when I work on odd ball projects for people I ask for a spindle so I know I get it right.
    Relying on what the angle should be and having it built … your just asking for problems.

I would just supply the builder with the parts and tell them were you want the camber on the finished part.

29. bobscogin

bobscogin

Exactly right, and the king pin bosses shouldn't just be welded on at the same angle as the kingpin inclination. That would yield zero camber. Most specs call for some positive camber. Check the alignment specs for camber, add that to the kingpin inclination measured on the spindle, and weld the bosses on at that angle.

Bob

30. simon g-s

simon g-s

I made a straight axle for some odd ball ( non ford ) spindles. I used an original axle as a welding fixture, 2" seamless 1/4 wall tube and EN8 to machine the ends, reamer from ebay, the chrome cost 4 times the materials! Get a prof welder if your not up to it, I did.

Attached Files: