Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuff you're better off paying for...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackLion, Mar 26, 2012.

1. river1

river1

i got two words to say about that

GRAY BASKERVILLE

[​IMG]

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Tires and exhaust. Those get sent out. And bodywork-paint, if I want it nice. And upholstery.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

This is Arizona, and I wear Flip-flops. Have the welding burns on my feet to prove it!

4. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

A friend of mine has a tool that is about 6' long that will remove a tractor trailer tire in less time than it takes to remove it from the truck. And he only weighs 160lbs.

I couldent believe it when he said that he could do it.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

This works for me:

1. Remove schrader valve.
    2. Lay tire on ground.
    3. Slowly drive 4x4 truck onto side of tire, popping the bead.
    4. Flip wheel and repeat #3
    5. Remove one outer side of bead with prybar and/or big screwdriver (BFS). The outer bead is easy, the inner bead is the one that will drive you crazy, so go to #6.
    6. Ratchet strap the wheel to a large nearby tree by hooking ratchet strap hooks to lug holes.
    7. Thread second ratchet strap around tire and attach to tow hitch, tow hook, or other sturdy frame member location.
    8. Slowly drive away peeling the tire from the rim.

6. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Damn moonshine! Been wearing glasses for years now... should have just ponied up the money for some real whiskey.

But seriously, there's always something you're better off paying for, whether you want to or not. Personally I pay to have tires mounted if they need balancing anyway. I also pay for windshield installation. That way if it leaks, I can go blame them instead of blaming me.

7. I use to use a bumper jack to break the bead by placing the base on the bead edge and jacking up the car-it usualy worked, but getting the damn tire off was another matter. Got pissed one time and thru the pry bar at the tire which it bounced off of and went straight into the side of my '50. Have never thrown a tool since and never changed my own tires since either.

8. pastlane

pastlane

I'm cheap... Local tire place wanted 10.00 each just to remove the old tires.
    I did 3 tires on my daily (replaced them with free used tires). Broke em down in a big ass bench vice and then used the tires spoons I got from my grandad to peal em off & back on. Was done in less than a half hour for the whole deal.

9. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I lucked out. A local tire shop that sells mainly 20" plus wheels helps me out. I hooked them up with a couple of guys that wanted WWW's but wanted to order from a local shop and not on-line so in return the owner always takes care of me. Broke down four tires last week for free and mounted and balanced a set of four last season for $25! The best part is his equipment. Their machines are made for doing $5000 wheels jobs and they don't scratch my $5.00 spray bomb paint jobs! LOL

10. James Curl

James Curl

At one time in the 70s I owned three Triumph TR4s with wire wheels which no tire shop would touch so I had to dismount and mount by hand all wheels from all three cars. I use a 2"x6'X6' board which I placed on the tire against the edge of the rim then drove my pick up the board and broke the bead loose, then flip over and repeat. Then I use two tire spoons to remove the tire from the rim. To mount the new tire you raise the tire over your head while gripping it by the bead and with your feet against drive it on to the top half of the rim then rubber hammer it the rest of the way on, now you can steo on the tire to start the front side then rubber hammer the bead until you get it on. I always used tubeless tire tubes in the wire wheels so that made it harder to do. I worked in a service station changing tires in the early fifties and we did not have any kind of a tire tool to break the bead, if it was really hard we would raise the lift high enough to slide the tire under it a put a 2"x4" between the lift and the tire then lower the lift until the bead broke loose.

11. harley rider

harley rider

I changed tires on this in my grandfathers service station when I was a kid .It is mostly a conversation piece. I will use it some times on steel wheels,usualy I pay some one to break down tires. I dont like to pay any one to do any thing I can do my self .as you get older you realize some times it is just easer to pay some one. that was a funny story though.probably make a good you tube video.

Attached Files:

12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

the most manly men of all time (the caveman) went bare foot all the time. Then jesus supposedly wore sandles. Some how now your not a dude or a man if you wear flip flops? I wear them all the time, in the rain, welding, in the chicken coop and breaking tires. I never bitch about it. I guess i must not be as manly as the guy who has to protect his wlittle footsies everywhere he goes.

If you dont like changing tires dont get a car with wide fives. I couldnt find anyone to do em. But ive changed many tires so it wasnt to big a deal. I hate doing it though.

13. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Im cheap too,

Try this next time you feel like a work out, place a 2x6 onto said tire like a ramp be sure 2x6 doesnt touch the rim just the tire, then drive your other vehical onto said 2x6 ( with the tire laying down and the valve core out ) and watch the magic happen ( the bead will break loose), now flip tire and repeat, you may need to rotate tire some if it has been on there awhile.
    You can also do this by jacking up a car or any heavy item slide tire/rim under and lower jack.

The safest way, nawww but in a pinch it does work.

Godspeed
    MrC.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

I dont agree. Drywall is easy------if you know a few things.

Many years ago my wife and I bought an old house to fix up and sell. I put in all new sheetrock and told her how to mud and tape it. When I got off work that day, she was crying and yes, it looked terrible. I closed the door to that room and told her to not go back in there. The next day I watched 'professionals' working on a new wall at my job and asked a few questions.
    I told my wife what I had learned and she went back and did a different room. After my wife and the professionals had completed both jobs, I compared the results. It was no contest, my wife cared about the results and the 'professionals' didnt. The 'professionals' only wanted to do it 'good enough' to get paid.

15. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Changing tires by hand is something I did a few times when I was younger. I have some old tire spoons that have been handed down over generations that worked well.
    Now days I would rather drop them off at a shop than wrestle with them.

The Wife bought me flip flops once. But I kept walking out of them. So in the trash they went.

16. mustangsix

mustangsix

At least he's not wearing Crocs.......

With me it was the MG's. Except I had them completely on when I realized I had forgotten to insert the inner tube.....

17. Muttley

Muttley

Its not just about protecting your feet, its also about not looking like a fruit cake.

18. Taff

Taff

hats off to you Sir! i did one once by hand and swore never again, after i had trashed both the wheel and the rim. My guy will split them for free and mount a tyre for £5 cash (7.5 bucks or so) as long as I take the time to shoot the breeze with him when I'm there. I usually take a coffee along as well now.

19. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Is muttley worried people might think hes a fruit cake if he wears flip flops? I personally dont take the opinions of men that judge other men by their foot wear. That to me is pretty fruity.

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Oh my sick mind. Ever see that picture of a naked guy with a tire hang'n off his junk :eek: :D. Anyway's, to move away from tire's a bit. Tryed turning brake drum once on a lathe. After a few hours of trying everthing but turning the lathe into a brake lathe I gave up. Oh ya, had to buy new drum's. Not ask :eek:.

21. Muttley

Muttley

Uhh........yeah, I kind-of am. The people of HAMB-Land may rest assured knowing there will never be a full or partial foot sighting perpetrated by Muttley either on-line or in person. Sorry, I'm not down with footwear that allows any part of a mans foot to be visable.

22. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

how do you set the bead on tubeless tires when you air it back up?

23. Kramer

Kramer

When I was growing up I learned from my dad how to remove and install tires on a rim. He had a bead breaker and the tire irons. Got pretty good at it as I remember. I have some wide fives that had old tires on them. Of course it was a no brainier that I would remove them. Broke the bead with no problem, nor was the front bead. But for the life of me I could not get the back bead off. I ended up using a sawzall to cut it off. Tried to install the new ones a few months later when I got them and finally took them to Les Schwab and had them do it. Apparently there is something wrong with my memory.

24. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I wanna see picture #5.

25. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Do you have embarrassing foot fungus, or are you repressing a foot fetish? Some people just like feet mutley its ok your not alone. But i agree with you, "no visible man foot on the hamb".

26. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

A ratchet strap works well.

27. So you're saying Baskerville was a fruit cake?

Much too worried about other's opinions ...... :eek:

Hiding your foot fetish? :rolleyes:

he didn't get that far with Photoshop. :D

28. speters

speters

I just spent an hour the other night fighting 4 small go kart tires resulting in many cuts and bruises....I am with you on paying for tire removal

29. just found this thread. Still laughing, 5 pages into it! Thanks!

30. Muttley

Muttley

Uhh.......no, on the first two points, YES on the third.

Maybe, maybe not, but he sure looked like one with that questionable choice in footwear.

Yep, I'm pretty self-conscious.

HAHAHA, how did this thread de-rail like this? All I did was tell the OP that flip flops suck..............I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that 99.999% of all men agreed.