Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wright Patterson Air Base

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigdaddyslip, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Is there anyone on here from the local area. In out here for an Air Force school until April 16 and would love to meet some HAMBers and check out some cool hot rod stuff around here.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Check out the basement in one of the hangers. I heard that's where the Roswell alien bodies are.:D

3. I loved the Museum, the pre-jet planes are very cool. If you haven't been , you need to go. It will take all day, very cool.

4. im about 30 mins away from wright -patt about the time your gonna be leaving is when the cruises and stuff starts around here

brookville roadster isnt too far from wright -patt theres a place called daddykatz in dayton its a "traditional kulture " shop

thats about all i know about dayton

and havent ya'll heard hanger 18 is empty ...but its guarded 24hours a day 7 days aweek buy guys with guns

5. FlatheadFanFromMI

FlatheadFanFromMI

6. Willy301

Willy301

I am not too terribly far, about 50 miles from you. And there are some Hamb'ers that list Dayton as their location...so you should be able to find a few.

7. metal man

metal man

Dang! Your going to miss the Wilmington mile by just 12 days. Not sure of anything going on before then.

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1!

Haven't been since I was a Boy Scout but it was cool even 45 years ago. Bet it's even better now. Hope they still have the B-58 Hustler. What a sweet jet.

9. That museum is incredible, possibly the best museum I have ever been to.

I work for a large defense company, and three years ago, I was asked to go to Wright-Pat to reassemble one of the planes for display that I was a crew chief on years before. The plane had been retired, and we had crated it up back in 2007 and shipped it off to the museum. They put us back in the corner of one of the restoration hangars so we could reassemble it. They have SO MUCH FREAKIN' AWESOME STUFF in their hangars awaiting restoration that it would make you shit a cinder block. WWI planes, WWII planes, Korea-era planes, rockets, missiles, bombs (inert, of course). It took us about 3 full days to get it back together, and every time we took a break, we went to check out more stuff. We had 100% access, and they let us into Hangar #3 where they were restoring the original Memphis Belle B-17. Unreal. An amazing piece of history.

The last day we were there, the curator of the museum asked us if we wanted to go to a hangar that's off-limits to the public. He drove us to a very old dusty hangar covered in spiderwebs, and we went inside. It was 100% full of aircraft with barely enough room to walk between. They had the main fuselage of the only B-36 double-decker in existence. It was a prototype for a transport aircraft that never happened. Freakin' massive! We were walking around the edge of the hangar, and the curator stopped and pointed to a crate that had a tarp over it. He lifted the tarp and it was a never-used German Buzz Bomb, still in the cosmoline and straw stuffing! The crate still had the swastikas stenciled on it. It was so surreal that it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

The museum trip is one of the most amazing trips I have ever been on. I can't wait to go back. If you make to the museum, look for the Global Hawk hanging from the ceiling in the Main Auditorium. If you look close, you'll see my name scrawled on the lower cowling. I did that about 2 minutes before it was lifted up to it's final resting place. It was a good airplane, and after almost 350 combat missions over Iraq and Afghanistan, she earned the right to be there.

10. S.F.

S.F.

They just got the wings back on the Memphis Belle about 2 months ago....

11. rld14

rld14

Check out the Packard Museum in downtown Dayton.

12. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Isn't "Ohio George" Montgomery's shop close by?

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

YES! They have the best looking WWI SPAD I've ever seen, and the B-17 is flawless. It has to be the best airplane collection I've ever seen. Bob:)

14. gene99

gene99
    from eaton ohio

Walkers sinister hot rods is about 35/40 minutes away

15. dankyd

dankyd

I would skip Brookville roadster. You can see everything just as well in a catalog. Sinister hot rods is worth the trip, and so is Daddy katz. (don't forget to buy lots of art while you are at daddy katz!)

16. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I would vist Brookville Roadster as they give a tour and it`s well worth taking an hour of your time just to see the original cars stored there on site. They use them for specifications when needed plus it`s quite a collection if old iron.
    The assembly area is pretty cool too as you see how the parts are fitted together. Call and ask for Chuck.
    A lot more entertaining than DaddyKats or Jerrys place in Lewisburg unless they have an event going on. Although all are good guys and very friendly to visitors.

Another place to visit is D&D Restorations in Covington. Call to make sure you can set up a time to tour. Very expensive cars being done there along with some hot rod stuff. A total of five various shops to see. Ask for Roger James.
    Also by that time some of the local cruise nights will have started.
    Check out www.countrycruisers.com for schedules.

17. dankyd

dankyd

last time I was at Brookville, they said they only do tours certain scheduled times during the year. maybe you will have better luck.

18. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

19. S.F.

S.F.

yep

20. Thanks a bunch fellas! I have made it to the museum and wow it's amazing. I am without a car but from the looks of it I'm going to rent one for a week or so and try to make it to as many places listed as possible. Thanks a million and maybe we could arrange a HAMB get together somewhere central for beers!