Register now to get rid of these ads!

little $20.00 score

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cj92345, Mar 27, 2012.

1. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

guy was gett'in gas at the pump next to me, i noticed his truck bed was full of engine parts, asked and he was on his way to the recycling center, he let me pick though some stuff (as much as i could carry) for $20.00, wish i could have got everything:(

Attached Files:

2. Nice score, I know the feeling. There was a nice 454 that looked like a fresh rebuild, and had tape over all the ports last time I went to the scrap yard.

3. I'll give you $25 and pay for reasonable shipping!!

4. I think you should have followed him home too! Wonder what else was in the garage he wanted gone?

5. squirrel

squirrel

that steering wheel and generator would probably fetch two bills on ebay

6. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I wonder how old those lifters are. Considering that most lifters are made overseas nowadays, those might be some real US made ones

7. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

yeah, the gen was a last second grab, i saw the shaft on the back and reached in grabbed it, the one box is a complete head stud kit, there's also a "spring height checker" there

8. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

Abuddy of mine was able to grab an offy hirise intake for a boss 302 right off the scale at the scrapper a few years back for 20.00. great score. right place at the right time

9. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

The isky wheel is $25 bucks itself!!

What else is in the boxes??

10. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

one other box is a "c" clip eliminator kit brand new for gm car

11. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wonder how the guy got ahold of that stuff? did he look like a tweeker? who would sell all that for 20 bucks?

13. SASROD

SASROD

I saw a guy once loading a trailer up with scrape metal. He was throwing a mangled model a frame on top with the rear spring still hanging there. I said I'll give you 10 bucks for the spring and he said ok, but I'm in a hurry. I started unbolting it as fast as I could. Luckily the bolts came off pretty easy, got the cast iron brackets too.

14. chubbie

chubbie

I was filling with gas and a iron man pulled up next to me with a trailer full of junk. i asked if he would sell me any thing and like they all say the stuff is junk, its no good people threw it away. there was a 455 olds several transmisions. i started digging tru the old farm gates and wire and junk and came out with a muncie 4 speed and comp plus shifter. he wasn't happy with me! but i wasn't giving up! he was sure it was junk but seemed to know what a muncie was worth! I did get it for near nothing and the rest went south down the hiway to the scrap!!

15. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

i think this guy was doing yard clean-up, had a magnetic sign on his truck door for it.

16. tjmercury

tjmercury

Nice score, I bought a matched pair of Holley 500's with most of the linkage for a 2x4 setup at the scrap yard for $12 a couple of weeks ago. All I could think about on my way out was "hmm, what to put these on?"

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sounds like it would be a good idea to set up a stakeout at the entrance to the scrap yard!

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

freakin dimwits... who the hell would scrap stuff like that!?

19. Right! Have a sign that says "I pay more than scrap" You'd be surprised what people will scrap when money is tight. ALOT of the stuff is worth more for what it is VS scrap weight.

20. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

It is good to find a deal like yougot , but a shame people thow things away we rodders would die for

21. 74bowtie

74bowtie

Who scraps new parts, super find what else did he have that you could not carry?

22. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

cranks, rods, pistons olds (used) there was some sb chevy heads on the bottom of the pile but he was gett'in ant'sy to go, there where more box's of new stuff, but like timing chains and gears ect

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

24. kleinbike

kleinbike
    from Nor Cal

Glad you could save what you did. With money tight and scrap prices high, a lot of good stuff goes to China every day.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice save, when ever I see someone scrapping stuff car or household/antique items I try to get the whole lot. Even if you don't need it, do some research find out what it is and market it of let a have it. I always check the magazine bin at the local recycling center, pulled 135 Chilton and Hayes repair manuals out of it one Saturday. meet the guy at the door with the last box he was dumping and askes if there were more at home. No, these were all he had, wife was trying to sell them and gave up. Think I have 40 left.

26. old1946truck

old1946truck

Dealerships throw away NOS parts all the time sometimes really old parts that have been forgot about in the back of the parts dept.

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wives get to spring cleaning and they will throw away anything in sight, especially if it's in their way. Ask me how I know this....

28. Willy301

Willy301

Wow, I wonder who is going to be suprised that their stuff has been scrapped...I cannot imagine anyone scrapping a new timing set or an unopened degree wheel....unless it was not theirs to being with...probably his teenage son wouldn't clean up his mess in the garage...

29. unclebubba

unclebubba
    from fla

I use to work of a scrap yard I was able to score a 2X4 intake for a bbc. I also got a complete from end out of a 46 Ford. It had new brake shoes on it.

30. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I delivered a car to the crusher a while back and noticed the guy in front of me had offloaded a opend drive 46 banjo. still kick myself for not buying it off the pile.