Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your Ride Is Here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h0twired, Mar 27, 2012.

1. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

Incredible story about a bunch of guys with cool cars that transport cancer patients to and from their treatments.

Imagine something like this among the HAMB community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Vh53KMPSs

2. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay,
    First of all alot of these cars are definetly off topic. Second of all who cares. What a wonderful thing this is. I have lost alot of people that i loved to cancer including my mom and dad. Sitting here at the computer watching this i'm thinking if i was ever diagnosed and had one of these cars waiting for me when i came out it would just make things so much better. I know that it would put a smile on my face for sure. Just think if the hamb started something like this and some of the older people got to ride in a car like they use to own back in the good old days. I'm sure that would mean the world to them. What a great thing they are doing.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Pretty cool!!!

4. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

everything that he said. What a cool idea and gift to give to these people

5. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

It humbles me to think that there is still people that do stuff just because its a noble thing. My father has cancer as I write this and has for a couple years. To think of his smiling face if a enzo pulled up puts a smile on mine.

This is a beautiful thing and and hopefully will continue for as long as its needed.BD

6. Damaged1

Damaged1

VERY awesome idea!!

Anything to help lift the spirits of cancer patients is a great idea.

One of my sister-in-laws last requests was a ride on the back of a Harley. My wife, myself, and a bunch of friends all met at our house and away we rode, stopping for lunch and then returning home. She never stopped smiling the whole day. That was last September, she passed in October after a courageous, year-long battle with Leukemia.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  7. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

I dunno if my roadster is the best car for that duty but i would DEFINITELY volunteer.

8. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Sure beats sitting around at a car show all day with fat guys and crybaby dolls.

Canadian members can check out their local Canadian Cancer Society's volunteer driver program to get involved doing something like this today. The Alberta link is right here.

9. What's wrong with fat guys? HRP

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be something to share with your buddies, local car clubs (H.A.M.B. friendly or not), etc.
    something to try on a local basis. may work, may not. but, worth a try. as a survivor of cancer and a stroke, I know how lonely and out of touch one can feel. pass this link on.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My luck I would volunteer and my car would break down. However, I'd love to get involved!!!!!

12. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

very cool. :cool:

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The Ferrari club of Austin is pretty big into this. I know a few of those guys... I make fun of them constantly for being too buttoned up, wearing a horse daily, shit like that... Despite that, the folks at Ferrari of Austin invited my son down to check out the cars just because they knew he was a little man absolutely enthralled with Ferraris. No other reason at all...

They are some of the best people I know. Seriously.

And this story? Uplifting and inspiring. Just when you start lose faith in humanity, a little story like this comes along that makes you appreciate what people are really capable of.

God Bless the USA.

Attached Files:

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Makes my eyes mist over. What a great bunch of folks.

15. That is kool, hats off to everyone that has time to get involved!

16. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

My hats off to the volunteers.

17. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

what a tremendously gracious act of kindness. As someone who has witnessed more than one person loose their battle to cancer; this is a wonderful opportunity to bring joy to someone's life in a time of struggle. We would love to participate in something like this.

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Me too Farmergal. (Nice to see ya around these parts again).
    After I recover from my surgery next month, I'd like to join up with a local bunch doing this as well.

19. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

20. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

What a fantastic thing they are doing, Very cool indeed.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What an awesome thing to do. Just when you think the worlds gone to crap, a story comes up about people who just decided to give a damn. Not sure if my T could be used, but I'll check to see what the Houston area has related to this.

EDIT: Found some info in Houston about volunteering rides to and from treatment. I don't think my T would be considered "safe" by thier standards, but here's the info for those interested.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

For Evening Crowd

23. Chevy48

Chevy48

If a cancer sufferer's spirit would be boosted by riding in my old car, I would more than delighted to help out! What a great thing! :cool: (Certainly better than just burning gas riding around in circles.)

I wonder who I would contact to offer such a service?

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Contact your area American Cancer Society. Here's the Houston link.

http://www.cancer.org/Involved/Volunteer/index
    Yours may be similar.

25. Wow ... wonderful video. What a great thing these people are doing. Not ashamed to admit ... brought a tear to my eye.

Thanks so much for posting this.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks like there's a group out of the Cool River Cafe Austin Texas.

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker