Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuff you're better off paying for...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackLion, Mar 26, 2012.

1. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

First let me just say, Holy Shark Shit!!! I had these wheels I was thinking about painting. Problem was three of the 4 had crap tires on em. Now I'm home with my kids and was not about to pay someone to break these tires down for me cause I'm somewhat of a Badass.( Laced with sarcasm at this point) Now I strut out to my semi equipped shop and grab a prybar and a hammer, not even sure why cause I fully intended to use sheer brute strength to rip them off with my bare hands but none the less I returned to the three measly tires and rims to do bidness.

To save me from further pain and carpal tunnel?? Not sure of my spelling or my manhood anymore, but I will skip the effing three hours it took me to remove said wheels from tires and bring you to the aftermath.
    I now limp back to my shop to return the smorgasboard of tools that I accumulated. I am returning the prybar, hammer, bigger hammer, big screwdriver, chisel, box blade, another chisel, can of PBBlaster, cut off tool and a midget on a unicycle who was clearly there for support. Did I mention I was limping? How in the name of all things holy did I manage to hurt by foot you say? Well I was hog rastlin this wheel which I had all but cut into one of those ornamental tire planters, when it fell on my flip flop clad foot. So much for the manly image I had built up right.

Now I got the damn wheels and tires apart. But the tire swing I promised my little girl will have to wait seeing as how theres nothing left but rubber mulch. Oh...and last but not least, after this three hour demasculating exhibit of futility I realized that all of the wheels aren't even a matching set.

I guess the point of this was to point out that I have now added breaking down wheels and tires to the list of shit I'd rather pay for. That and roofing. So in closing, feel free to ridicule, add to the list, maybe explain how it could've been done with only a spatula if I'd have just tapped right on the 57..Wait that's the damn glass ketchup bottles. I'll have to make another post for that.

2. Moondog13

Moondog13

Hahahah! Thanks, I needed this. :D

3. F&J

F&J

Me? Free tire machine on the side of the road, and a good buddy who saw it and phoned me quick. My son's friends are always here using it to save money.

4. Muttley

Muttley

The tire shop down the street from my place charged me a dollar a piece last time, you must be really cheap. Oh and by the way you should turn in your dude card if you wear flip-flops.

5. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

Hell, I have a hard time getting the tires off of the rims on my daughters Barbie bicycle. There's no way I could have done car tires. Dang!

6. T Fritz

T Fritz

Been there done that and I know I should be going to the tire shop but I don't. Tractor tires are the most fun.
    Fritz

7. F&J

F&J

If there are full of calcium cloride for weight, I'd just sell the dam tractor

8. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I also do my own...

9. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

LMAO I feel better about my tire removal experience LOL Sawsall and a cut off wheel and a welder to fix all damn its on your wheels

10. Moondog13

Moondog13

Ohhh! Hahahahah! That's funny right there! :D

11. Yep, I relent on the tire stuff too. I even bought one of the cheapo Harbor Freight tire breaker/removal tools. Proceeded to bend it and break it, its not worth scrap metal. My local tire guy has gone up to 10 bucks though so I need to find another one.

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I don't know about anyone else but I gotta to hear the roof story.

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

:DLol!!!!:D
    thanks for the laugh!

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

There are some things that you're better off paying for but you still have to find someone who has the tools, knowledge and integrity to do it right.

Some I've found that you're better off paying for are roofing, concrete work and sex.;)

15. codeblu

codeblu

My son does them without a machine, won't let me watch how he does it.

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did the same thing, only I got mine from Northern Tool (bet it's made by the same Chinese company!) I have modified it several times (especially the bead breaking attachment that works now; I'm glad I weigh 240 though). The tool they give you to remove and mount the tires is a real piece of shit and tears up the beads. I am currently trying to find or make something that functions close to correctly, but I don't know.....)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  17. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I still do my own. I use an old hand bead breaker, a couple of short spring leaves or spring leaf & tire iron, or big screwdriver, whatever I can find, and a rubber hammer. A little soapy water in a squirt bottle helps. Mounted 4 16" puncture resistant sidewall rock crawler tires just the other day. Learned a few tricks many years ago from an old guy that ran a service station who, once the bead was broken would do the rest with only his hands. And a little soapy water. I'm 72 now so it takes a little longer than it used to.

18. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I just finished putting together a coates 20 / 20 form 2 junke machines. It works great and while I have sbout 150 in it... It will pay for it's self in a year or so..

19. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

I figure you had guts enuf to post what myself and others have been throug ~ your ok by me. Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself. Being too serious is far worse than owning up. Hope u get tge tire swing hung thatll be worth the effort:)

20. Been there,done that..........bad experience.......as for the roof ????????

21. Great story, good for a few laughs. You should write for a comedy show, I'm sure it will be better than the reality crap thats out there.

22. Dirty2

Dirty2

I do mine because I won't the valve stems lined up , and I pay for it the next day in my back !

23. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Hey Frank, how much you want to remove my old tires from my wire wheels, and install new ones after I paint them up? I'm serious! I can't find anyone near me with a clue, much less the willingness to do it. Maybe while I'm there I'll be able to talk you into selling me that '32......:)

24. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

[​IMG]

25. Clevername

Clevername

Send me a picture of your wife, and I'll give you a quote.

26. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

I think milk came out of my nose after the Flip Flop comment. Handing them to a traveling gypsy first chance I get.

27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

haaa, I dont know what gets me in more trouble, Im a cheap bastard, but also a lazy bastard. Needless to say theres always an internal conflict of some sort going on.

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I can usually dismount and mount a tire in about 10 minutes using only hand tools. I have a bead breaking wedge, a sledge-hammer, two tire bars, and a pair of vice grips. Hardest thing is breaking the bead loose. Tap the wedge with the sledge to get it started, then a good solid lick usually gets it started breaking loose. Move around the tire until it is completely broken free, flip and do the other side. Two bars to pry it off.
    I've done car tires , truck tires, even the tires on my 1955 IH tractor.
    Once you learn how, it's no big deal....

29. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

You need a bead breaker.Good story and can relate......By the 4th tire Im whooped On off on...Still charge for balancing and not worth the effort............But none the less I still do mine....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  30. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

my girlfriend bought me a pair of those things once, i threw them away............