Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 Part Epoxy vs JB Weld

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by specsintexas, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Need to glue to together a pot metal door handle. What is stronger 2 Part Epoxy or JB Weld? Lets hear it!

Specs

2. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

I thought JB weld came in two parts?

It did last time I used it...

This pot metal handle, are you just going to sand it and paint it or what?

JB Weld website, products section, click on each product for the information you are seeking... that was so hard to find, let me tell you.

Now, what brand and make of two part epoxy do you wish to compare it to, so that we can do the rest of your homework for you as well?

-W

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  3. Opps I have never used JB Weld so I did not know it comes in two parts. If it comes in two parts I guess it is just regular old epoxy. So why is it so magic.

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

it's not magic, it's mickey mouse.

5. 3spd

3spd

I know it has metal powder in it; probably iron. Not sure how that helps adhesion or strength. I found this out by trying to JB weld a very strong magnet down, the magnet pulled the JB weld onto itself.

Ryland

6. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

JB may not be a magic final answer [I haven't found one yet] but it sure has bailed me out on a lot of projects in the past. Good stuff, I keep both the regular and quick set on hand all the time.

Ed

7. Epoxy sucks,JB Weld rules.

8. jb weld .. i ve seen some shit with jb weld that blew my mind

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

JB Weld IS a two part epoxy. This is a bit like comparing Budweiser to beer.
    There are many variations in the formulation of epoxy adhesives, JB sells two of them.

10. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

JB is teeeee-rific stuff! it's currently holding the accelerator pump pivot to the top of my $40 craigslist edelbrock 1406. and it has been for nearly a year. : )

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

JB weld !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. charlieb66

charlieb66

Damm Jake, you are not supposed to eat JB Weld.

13. JB Weld comes in a 2-part syringe applicator and dispenses equal amount of the adhesive and catalyst. Good shit indeed, great for metal, plastic, etc. Can be ground, sanded to a point and painted over.

Bob

14. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

if your using it to repair your mickey mouse ,try fabric glue.

JB weld is excellent for getting you out of situations.

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

15. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Some of you guys are truly funny.

JB Weld (as has been said) IS a two part "epoxy".

It comes in at least two forms (that I know of).
    1. Old fashioned squeeze tubes. That has a slow cure time (about 12 hours I think).
    2. Syringe type tubes, a double stack, that when you press the top, equal (sorta) amounts are brought forth. This is the 5 minute cure veriety.

I prefer the original squeeze tube style for most of my work. From slot car bodys to motorcycle to full size car repair.

If the parent material is properly roughened and cleaned, the JB Weld is tough stuff to defeat. It even seals against gas leakage.

Mike

16. blackdog

blackdog
    from Golden BC

Yup, JB good. Just prep the surfaces properly, I've used it in some heavy industrial applications with good results.

17. Willy301

Willy301

I agree that JB weld is good for some repairs, but something that will be used as much as a door handle might be better if you sent it off to Chrome Plater Josh and let him actually "weld" it. Not sure how he does it, but he fixes a lot of that stuff prior to plating, and has some really good feedback on here. Sounds like he is pretty reasonable on price too...

18. squirrel

squirrel

What to do with the door handle kind of depends on how it's broken. If you post some pictures of it we could probably predict whether or not epoxy (such as JB Weld) will hold, or if it'll break again.

If it's a small area that has a lot of stress on it, then it might not do the job. The tensile strength of epoxy is much lower than the strength of metal.

19. I've had success backing up the joint with a piece of shim stock, a good idea if you have the room on the flip side. Just rough up all the bonding surfaces and clean them up with carb cleaner or lacquer thinner first.

Bob

20. Like previous posters have said, JB Weld IS a two part epoxy.

Some of the best, most chemical resistant and durable laboratory countertops I have ever worked with have been made of very similar epoxies.

I don't use it on anything safety or structural on my hotrods but it's great for most anything else.

21. yardgoat

yardgoat

My personal choice and ive used all types of magic crap ,even tv stuff.Jb weld is the best ,BUT it depends on how YOU prepare the item to be repaired.You can by the best stuff from NASA but it the surface sucks ,you just wasted time and have to clean it up AGAIN and start over. I have repaired a Perkins diesel block that i rebuilt,that a rod tried to excape.It had a 1.25x1.00 inch hole and i repaired it JB weld and its been 8 yrs and my skidsteer is still going stong with no leaks.ALSO easy to work with ,EPOXY runs,JB is like a clay..Hope this helps,is school out now? good i can go home.(smile)........................YG

22. Used JB Weld to fix the cracked and ruined fuel intake fitting on a Plymouth one barrel carburetor. I expected it to just hold long enough to get me home from a long trip, but after the trip, the thing wasn't leaking at all so I just left it.

I sold the car a year later and it was holding strong.

So yeah....sealing against direct contact with fuel...on top of a hot engine...sounds like a recipe for disaster. However, I prepped the area very well, let it cure for 24 hours, and then got the engine hot and sat there and stared at it forever and it was fine.

23. JB weld is great stuff ,but it most likely will not work on a door handle.

24. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

You can weld pot metal. For a door handle, I think you'd be better off taking it to a good weld shop rather than messing with epoxy.

25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have used J-B Weld to seal up the jet plugs in the bottom of the float bowls in Q-jet carbs. This is the normal leakage spot that drains the float bowls in Q-jets. I have had great success with J-B weld doing this. I would highly recommend the product

26. Another option would be Marine Tex, another 2 part mixture. We used it on cases for Rolls Royce Merlin engines and you can thread it as well. Use gloves, as it makes excellent fingerprint filler as well.

27. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Easy there Woogeroo. I've noticed that every product's website proclaims their stuff to be absolutely the best for everything.

We come on here to get "real world" experience from (hopefully) friends who have been there and done that. I learned something from this thread.

28. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I'd go with the JB weld. We ran a Ford 9" in a fuel car in the late 80's, and in the last round of qualifying it killed the ring and pinion. Some teeth put 2 big holes in the bottom of the pumpkin. I cleaned it up and put some duct tape on the outside and started to mix up 3 packs of JB weld. Then I poured in in the holes and let it set up while we serviced the engine and clutch. Hours later it felt pretty hard so I put a new ring and pinion in and took it to the line. The JB weld was still in it when it all got sold a year later, and never chipped or leaked a drop. And in defense of epoxy, make sure you get what they call 2 ton epoxy, It is pretty tuff stuff also as long as you prep the surface and let it set up. JC

29. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

By now we all know jb weld is a two part epoxy, but in my eyes is good but their are better products. I use products from a chemical company in SoCal called PTM&W industries. They make 15 or so variants of the epoxy units and can by as much as 50 gallon barrels at a time if that i what you desire. I have in the last few months used the product to fill in a sun roof on a OT vehicle I did not want to deal with warpage or time it would take to weld. from start to finish took 1 hour and another 2 to cure enough to drive. Best part is after primer you would never be able to tell that their was a sunroof. Bottom line epoxies work!

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

There are lots of different epoxys out there, not all are liquid, I have some that is like clay, cut off apiece and mix both parts. it does not run at all. :rolleyes: