Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best looking 4drs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I guess we're worst then old bags in a beauty parlor.:D

2. 1953_210

1953_210

I definitely have an affinity for all 2 doors over 4 doors. I will say that the availability/cost made it alot easier for me to get a project (4 door) I can cruise with my wife and kids and not break the bank.

3. Shaved hard tops look just fine

Attached Files:

• 074.jpg
      074.jpg
      File size:
      508.9 KB
      Views:
  4. rld14

rld14

I rarely get green with envy.

This is one of those rare moments. That is the one car I have been kicking myself for not buying when I could/should have.

5. U-235

U-235

farmergal, why the shaved rear door handles, an attempt to make it look like a 2 door?

Nads....I don't know how old you are or anything about your background, but removing just the rear door handles on 4-door customs was a very popular thing to do on conservative customs, and no it wasn't because they secretly desired a 2-door. Nobody was fooled.

6. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

3 days and 154 replies. Apparently 4dr cars are pretty damned popular, guess that makes them cool.

7. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

WOW ! Now that's a nice looking car.

8. Growing up my folks had 2 of those 53 Desotos

9. Dixie DeLuxe

Attached Files:

10. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Quite possibly THE BEST looking 4dr ever built IMO.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It's been traditional to shave rear door handles on four doors since the 50's or earlier. I'm sure it started as a veiled attempt to make them look like two doors at a glance, but it's asthetically just cleaner looking, and adds a bit of personalization.
    I shaved mine because I can't ue the rear doos anyway, but even if I could use them I'd still shave them.
    [​IMG]

12. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

what he said ^^^

13. Snarl

Snarl

1933-34 Plymouth/Dodge
    1936-37 Cord
    Graham Sharknose
    Any Duesenberg
    1949-52 Chevy fastbacks
    1953-54 BelAir
    any mid 50's GM hardtop
    Tucker
    Alot of the 28-31 vintage longer wheelbase cars look decent too...

14. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I can see why guys do it and did it back in the day but it still seems really pointless to me.

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

if you can see why guys do it and why they did it back in the day than how can you say it seems really pointless? It smooths out the lines of the car and it makes the lines a bit more appealing to the naked eye. It's quite amazing how a set of shiney silver handles could throw off the over all "flow" to the picture. A lot of cars had all of the handles shaved off of the doors. no different than shaving the handles on a 2 door. it's all the same concept.

16. cooljunk

cooljunk

We enjoy this one.
    [​IMG]

17. cooljunk

cooljunk

18. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I like the 61-64 Lincoln Continentals with the rear suicide doors.

19. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

I agree on the 61-64 Lincoln Continentals...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Locomotive Breath likes this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

...... With those BiG ol' cones hangin' over their heads.... :eek:

21. Deuces

Deuces

A mechanic I once worked for when I was a kid bought one from a little ol' lady... That car was sharp!.. It was a '69 with a factory metallic pink paint job with wire wheels and a white vinyl top... It had a 345 horse 390 FE motor in it...

22. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I agree.

23. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Besides the obvious suicide door Lincolns and flat top 59-60 GM cars, the 49-51 Mercs are some of the better looking more door model cars... And this Merc you posted is a good example of one!

[​IMG]

I like Model A Town Sedans as well.

[​IMG]

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

:rolleyes:

If anyone thinks it was done for any other reason but to make it look more like a 2 door they are delusional.

History will not be changed 2 doors are the most desirable. Always will be.
    4 doors weren't. Yes there were some that got a little love, but nowhere near what you see today. And hardtops will always be better looking than posts. Love your four door all you want but this site is about preserving the history as well.

Now what about the best looking 4 drs?

25. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

while i agree with you that 2 doors will always be more desireable that 4 doors; there is nothing saying that they do not have their own spot in hot rodding or "kustoms" history. There were plenty of them that WERE done back in the day and many of them won-out at the shows over the 2 doors. 4 doors very much have their spot in the history of this hobby and they very much belong on this site.

26. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

People get WAYYY too hung up on trying to re live the 50's. The unfortunate reality is that it's 2012 now and not 1952 anymore. As much as the trad. nazis try to deny it, 4drs are traditional too. I guess I'm a hippocrite because I don't actually own a 4dr but I think that they deserve a little respect along with their owners. If some people on here had it their way, Model A coupes with deuce grills, 40 ford brakes and steelies and triple stromberg flatties would be the only thing considered traditional. Please guys, LESS OF THE SAME!

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

First off I think you may want to look up the definition of plenty and many. I think you are confused about those words. Second, most of these pictured, including yours, probably don't do much to qualify as either a hot rod or a custom. A stock 4 door just doesn't cut it. Yeah some certain cars that are 4 doors may have their place but it takes a special car to earn that place.

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You've been here all of a few months and you think you're going to change the HAMB. HA! This place is about that era and a few others, about preserving them. If the site is not what you want there are plenty of others. We spent plenty of time hammering out what traditional hot rods and customs are as it pertains to this site. Hell it's even gotten softer as far as that goes.

29. Cub8556

Cub8556

Its just a generation gap. The majority of guys who lived through the prime of hot rodding dont care for the 4drs, while today us youngsters dont really care about the number of doors. No need to try to convince each other. Drive what ya like

BTW that Dixie DeLuxe looks fantastic