Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Steering Gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim Rocheford, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Tim Rocheford

Tim Rocheford

I'm about to start a buildup of a little turtle deck '25 T. I'll be running a SBC until I can get my flathead together. Would a solid '30-'31 Model A steering gear be able handle the load? This is going to be a traditionally styled car... Kind of styled after Isky's T.

2. TUDORTOBY

TUDORTOBY

If you must use a model a colum, I would go with a 7 tooth unit wich was used until march 1930 as opposed to the 2 tooth unit in later models. I would advise using an f1 steering box though as they were equiped with a rotating steering sector shaft which would make it much easier to steer. This is a very common conversion on model a's and speedway sells a book on how to do it by Vern tardel for about 7 bucks.

3. F&J

F&J

I would not use an A box. Use the later 30s-to late 40s Ford car, turned, or like was said the F1 or even a F100

4. TUDORTOBY

TUDORTOBY

If you are planning on running the car REALLY low, then the late 30's passenger car box would be the way to go because when you rotate it 90 degrees, the pitmit arm will point strait up for grround clearence.if you are not going so low, go with the f1 box cuz the arm points down like the model a box. Your steering geometry will work out just right. also the passenger car box turned on its side, will require fabricating a mounting bracket where the f1 box bolts inside the frame rail like the factory unit. One plus is that both boxes have the same internals and are interchangeable.

5. 6-71

6-71

Yes In answer to your question,The Model A box will work I know 2 guys who are using them. One has a big block with a tunnel ram. the other has a banger. Although the box will work, I don't beleive it is a good choice.