Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 Chevy 5 window coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flyingtiger77, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

Well I made the trip with the family yesterday and picked up my new project. As the title says it is a 1931 Chevy 5 window coupe. It is a mostly complete car and the guy I bought it from said he owned it for about 5 years and never did anything to it besides spraying some primer on the body. Before that it was stored on a Indian reservation outside of Ramona,Ca.
    Here is a few pics of it. I stopped to get gas not even a mile from where I picked it up and while pumping I look across the street and there sits a 31' Sedan. Pretty cool, so I snapped a couple of pics. More photos to follow (work today).
    The plans are to build a highboy with a perimeter frame, torsion bar suspension, Schroeder side steer, mild 283 sbc, t5, Etc. Here is a photoshop pic which is modified from hookerhotrods 31'/32'. The paint will be more of a matte with some subtle flake. Should be starting the frame within in a month or so. Get your tickets now!

Attached Files:

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  2. Nice score and what a great photo op with the sedan! Myself and others from the "Termites and Bowties" social group, will be anxiously awaiting more pics.;):D

3. Love to see these old Chevys coming back to life! What are your plans with the wood? Do you plan to replace with steel or give the termites more food to feast on? Keep us up to date on your build and good luck!

4. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Very nice project and looks like a real good start. Congrats!

5. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

The wood is actually in pretty good shape. However, I will be replacing it all with steel.

6. Wood is good for patterns! Have fun with it!

7. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Good luck, looks nice!

8. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

Well after getting home from work I was able to pull the coupe out and dig through it and take inventory. It was chalked full of parts in the cab and I did not pull everything out when I originally purchased it. After looking through everything, the only thing I can see that is missing is the exterior door handles and the wiper motor. I'm sure there is more that I will discover when I start the build. However, I am very pleased with how complete it is and the over all shape of it. I took a bunch a pics while I had it out. Here they are!

Attached Files:

• jj1.jpg
      jj1.jpg
      File size:
      289.5 KB
      Views:
    • jj2.jpg
      jj2.jpg
      File size:
      309.4 KB
      Views:
    • jj3.jpg
      jj3.jpg
      File size:
      350 KB
      Views:
    • jj4.jpg
      jj4.jpg
      File size:
      288.2 KB
      Views:
    • jj5.jpg
      jj5.jpg
      File size:
      298.8 KB
      Views:
    • jj6.jpg
      jj6.jpg
      File size:
      388.5 KB
      Views:
    • jj7.jpg
      jj7.jpg
      File size:
      262.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

More...

Attached Files:

• jj8.jpg
      jj8.jpg
      File size:
      282.8 KB
      Views:
    • jj9.jpg
      jj9.jpg
      File size:
      237.4 KB
      Views:
    • jj10.jpg
      jj10.jpg
      File size:
      250.4 KB
      Views:
    • jj12.jpg
      jj12.jpg
      File size:
      266 KB
      Views:
    • jj13.jpg
      jj13.jpg
      File size:
      246.7 KB
      Views:
    • jj14.jpg
      jj14.jpg
      File size:
      314.4 KB
      Views:
  10. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

The last of them. Oh and before some of you chime in. The plan is to build two of them. One as a highboy and the other a full fendered which will appear mostly stock. Building the hot rod on 32' Ford frame rails and the second will use this stock chassis. It is definitely in too good of shape to let it go to waste ;)

Attached Files:

• jj15.jpg
      jj15.jpg
      File size:
      331.2 KB
      Views:
    • jj16.jpg
      jj16.jpg
      File size:
      318.7 KB
      Views:
    • jj17.jpg
      jj17.jpg
      File size:
      256.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    Stogy, Six Ball and Chuck Craig like this.
  11. Looks like a very solid car.That's rare for an old Chevy,they tended to fall apart after the wood rotted away .Enjoy your project and keep us posted.....(Lots of pictures please!)

12. skoh73

skoh73

Nice score!

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

You have two of them? I like your thinking on the builds. Myself I tend to go for fenders, but I like the fenderless hot rod design you showed. I have a knack for finding the early gm, or chevys or maybe they find me. I have two that I am working on. and two more in line. glutton for punishment maybe. Have fun with yours.

14. alright another chevy owner...welcome to the club.
    Keep us posted as the progress goes....

15. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

Not as of yet. But I am saving the chassis for the fendered build. I know where another body is and I have my eyes on it. I just have most of the stuff to build the rod and am going to do that one first.

16. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

Well checked the dreaded task of visiting DMV and taking care of the title and registration. Three offices and crashed computer system at the Davis (2nd) office later and I have the paperwork in hand! Also have some year of make plates assigned to it.
    The first lady I dealt with was a b@#ch. Quite literally a DMV Nazi. I don't see how these people don't understand the issues with 80 year old vehicles. "No ma'am there is no title. The previous owner never registered it and it has been sitting for 50-60 years as stated in the bill of sale". I need all that on this special DMV paperwork. Gouging my eyes out and envisioning squeezing the life from her skinny neck. Second DMV, wait in line and the computer system goes down. Lady says were not taking anymore customers. I ask her if she can call a neighboring DMV to see if they are having the same issues. "Sorry sir we cannot do that". WTF.....OK can I have their number so I can call. "Sorry we are not aloud to give out branch phone numbers. FML. The third and final DMV lady was a pleasure to deal with and no issues. Gotta love it. Atleast I am done!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  17. striper

striper

It's your car, and a nice one too, but I think I'd have to build a hot 6 for that.

Sounds like your DMV employs on the same basis as our VicRoads. I found a good office and I'll never go to another one again.

Good luck with your build(s)

Pete

18. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

I would love to build a hot six for it. However, with the cost of gas and the fact that I intend to make it a daily driver. I can't justify putting a six with less MPG, less power, and in general just worse efficiency. I have a mild 283 which will go in the rod in front of a T5 tranny. I plan on building a 2 door coach on the chassis and will put a mild 250 in that. I really want to build a six but after a lot of thought it just isn't right for the coupe. So my inline fix will have to wait until the next build.;)

19. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

:DNice .

20. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

Alright so here is a little update. Today I got off of work and started tinkering with the coupe. So one thing leads to another and I'm in elbow deep. I ended up taking a good inventory of everything and it appears I am only missing one door window crank, exterior door handles, and the deck lid handle. After the inventory I started investigating how the body was attached and the next thing you know I got it off and up on my frame stand. So while it was up there I mocked it up and threw some tires in front of it to get a feeling for it. I also put the 32' Chevy grill I acquired on it. The blue tape represents the chop. It is 6" in the back and 6 1/2" in the front. I think I might chop it to 4" and 41/2" and see what it looks like. Always easier to take more off then to try to put it back. Should have my frame in a few weeks and be ready to start really building!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

• jj.jpg
      jj.jpg
      File size:
      416.7 KB
      Views:
    • jj1.jpg
      jj1.jpg
      File size:
      280.8 KB
      Views:
    • jj2.jpg
      jj2.jpg
      File size:
      301.4 KB
      Views:
    • jj3.jpg
      jj3.jpg
      File size:
      287.7 KB
      Views:
    • jj4.jpg
      jj4.jpg
      File size:
      379.4 KB
      Views:
    Stogy, Six Ball and Chuck Craig like this.
  21. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

So started sand blasting the body today and as expected a few surprises under the primer. However, I did not realize that the previous owner was royalty. The Bondo king that is! It actually isn't that bad but come on if there is 1/2 " dent do a little metal work first. Or I guess you can lay down a half inch of Bondo! Also untombed a few metal patches that will need to be redone and some cancer which was encased in a Bondo sarcophagus. Here is an updated photoshop of where I am headed thanks to Rot n' Kustom. Post pics of the media blasting tommorow.

Attached Files:

22. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

Well I don't mean to throw a melancholy vibe on this build thread but I received some terrible news two days ago. I was planning this build with a friend whom had fabrication skills vastly greater than mine. He had been going through a tough year in life but seemed to be handling everything pretty well. When I brought the coupe home he was excited and we geeked over the vintage styling of the car. He was was online with where I wanted to take the build and I was looking forward to learning some new skills.
    So I tried to get a hold of him Monday as I was supposed to help him with a construction project to build a studio apartment above his shop. However, I could only get a voice mail. I chalked it up to him being busy, but I had tried several times and deep down knew this was unlike him. So Tuesday I call, same thing. I decided to load my tools up and drive up there. I summoned maybe his phone died or he lost it. When I arrive at the shop the roll up is open which is standard and figure, oh he's here. Well as I walked in I was hit with a ton of bricks. A friend that he races sprint cars with was there. I ask "is Dave around"? He replies Dave committed suicide Sunday night". In an instant an aspect of my life changed.
    I am not selling this as if we were best of friends. But I would definitely consider him a friend. He had an amazing talent with all things metal and was just a kind soul. I am no stranger to this as I am a Fireman and have been on numerous suicide scenes and they always leave me with the same feeling. What a selfish and obsequious act. I have seen a mother who discovered her hanging son by simply pressing the garage door opener. Nieces and nephews all under 10 who watched as we wheeled by and performed CPR on there Aunt who decided life was too much. I guess what I am saying is that I'm not sure if these people are in such a fog that they don't realize that their actions affect far more than themselves or the ones they intend to play the last card on. I will close with what I feel is a fitting quote. "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want". My interpretation of this is that often life does not work out the way we have planned or intended it to. Sometimes those experiences can be painful ones. However, we all can recover, get back on our feet, and things will get better if you let them. Dave was a caring and talented person. I wish he could have realized this was just one of those tough experiences. But in some way, I hope he found the piece which he sought through his actions. Dave Jackson you will be missed.RIP

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  23. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. There is nothing you could have done once someone feels they've run out of options.

24. Jen......

Jen......

very true

each person finds a point of no return when it is reached and nobody see's it then its to late to help

sorry for your loss

hugs

Jen

Stogy likes this.
  25. That is horrible to hear. I feel for his family and friends. I pray that none of them ever feel as if that is the only option. Your ride is sweet good luck with the build. I like where you are headed

26. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

Thanks. I don't have any feelings of guilt. Because I realize the decision was ultimately his. The other buddy I mentioned was cursing his ex-wife, but I don't blame her. Their relationship was between them and it was Dave's responsibility to take care of Dave in that regard. He was a grown man and made the decision of which he thought he had no other options. It just feels good to write it down. My greatest hope would be that someone who is in a similar situation will read this and realize that there are people who care about them and that recovery is possible. Thanks again for you kind words.

27. raymay

raymay

Love the old Chevy's but hated the wood, so my choice ended up be a 37 which was the first year of the all steel GM body. I have learned a lot using various types of square metal tubing. It can make an excellent replacement for your wood if necessay. Used it in a pretty beat up 32 Ford and cannot believe how nice the car is coming out. Also using it in a 33 Plymouth coupe that had the top cut off. Proper placement made a huge difference in the structural integrity of the car. Might seem like a lot of work but in the long run you will find it was worth it.
    Good luck. You look like you got yourself a nice car for your build.

Attached Files:

28. Sorry to hear about your friend.

29. poor boy pumpkin

poor boy pumpkin

Im "that guy" that asks the stupid question. Why a ford frame?

Stogy likes this.
  30. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

Well originally I was going to build this as a highboy with a perimeter frame and the aftermarket 32' Ford frames are readily available, have depth, and just are a good starting point for a custom build as such.
    However, now I have decided to build my coupe on the original chassis with fenders. I am going to have the original axle dropped at Sid's and build up a inline 250. Here is a photoshop which show the new desired look. It is on the back burner for a little bit as I am finishing up a 52' Chevy 5 window truck.

Nice Plymouth coupe.:D

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.