Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. KustomKarlsson

KustomKarlsson
    from Sweden

Keep it going ! I´ll be watching you !!

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here is an update:

I finished the rest of the notch section and i made a support brace for the package tray too.
    Well,its not completely welded,because i need to modify the tranny tunnel.
    So,what i just said about the light at the end of the tunnel?:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Looks like i am out of sheetmetal again and not sure when i am able to pick up more,but i think i'll do something before my vacation.

3. I dont think there ever is a light at the end of the tunnel with this hobby . I've never seen it anyways . LOL !! PS looks good Finn

4. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    Well,i guess it looks like a bit boxy.If i ever notch anything again,i think i go to the different direction at then and make the notch hump more round than this.But it will be right behind the rear seat,so no one will be see the fugliness of the hump(except readers of this thread:D).
    I still dont have no sheetmetal,but i have some plans for the weekend.So if i got anything done,i'll post an update.

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I wanted to do something before my vacation,so i decided to chop an another garnish moulding.My plan was to chop the drivers side door garnish too,but this took more time than i thought.
    So here is the start before cutting it:

[​IMG]

I though that the interior light on chopped b-pilar could look pretty weird,so i eliminated the light hole.
    Here's what i got done:

[​IMG]

I am leaving to states at next thursday,so no building and updates for awhile..

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good work man, have fun in Florida!

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Brerhair,i will!

9. Garnish moldings look good. Are you going to have functional rear windows? I'm trying to make some decisions about mine.

How was FLA? I hear the party at Big Daddy's was a good one.

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Andrew!
    I havent decided yet what to do with the rear windows.I guess doing them functional isnt impossible thing to do,but making the seals waterproof could be more challenging.
    I have to think about it.
    And yes my Florida's trip was great,i just came home 2 hrs ago_One week at the Daytona Bike week and another behind the wheel of the Crown vic i rented.I am a kind of disapointed that they didnt have any Police interceptors for rent:D
    I drove over 2000 kms(1200 miles)under a week,so the state of Florida is pretty much seen so far.
    I guess all the "normal" people go to Disneyland or Universal studios,but this is more my kind of vacation.
    The Billetproof was a great show,lot of cool rides and i met Mike(THEKID49) there too.He is the guy who did chopwork for my shoebox before it ended to my posession.Nice to meet you Mike!

11. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Garnish moldings look great, keep up the good work.

12. THEKID49

THEKID49

Good to meet you too buddy. Keep up the good work.

13. Hey Finn...

If you can find '55 ford sedan rear window rollup assemblies, they will work on your build.
    We put those in the "original" '49 that we built in the '50's and they work well. I will be doing the same thing on my "new" '49....

Just got the body loose from the frame this afternoon, so now I'll be jackin' it up a bit, dropping the frame down, and rolling it out from under the bod...

Check it out
    http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/PaulGerdes/49 Ford Coupe Start Mid May 2011/

14. Well, hell, now that I think about it, I better call my brother and see what he remembers about those rollups.... will post in a day or so..

15. WickedA346

WickedA346

nice build, subscribed

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thank you guys!

And thank you '49 Ford Coupe for the info,i need to think about that.
    While i was gone,the mailman delivered a package from Canada.The donor pieces i need for the top arrived.
    So,i need a donor pieces for the top,the inner rail above the drivers side quarter window is a bit rusty.So i thought the easiest way to fix would be to find a donor piece.Finding anything for 49-51' Fords is almost impossible in here,but a fellow hamber Big A was willing to cut off the donor pieces from his spare top and he asked only the shipping charges.What a great guy!

[​IMG]

Thanks Andrew!
    Too bad that my daily drivers inspection will expire really soon and i have to mess with that one for a while and get it inspected before i can work with the top.

Eric H likes this.
  17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for the hint,but i guess i still think about what to do with the quarter windows.
    I have a pair(or 2,just cant remember)of original rear vent windows and regulators,maybe i can use some parts of that pile.We'll see..

18. Glad they arrived in good shape. Tough to box those darn things up!

Originally off a car from Iowa, via Milwaukee, Niagara Canada and now Finland. That ol' parts car is scattered all over the place, but we're getting some use out of it :D

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

You did a good job with the packaging.The package was in fine condition,before i cut it open.
    Well,that is really a long way for those pieces,from Iowa to Finland.I havent never been an enviromentalist,but i've always liked the idea of recycling at some level:D
    Thanks again for the pieces!

20. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Hey Finnrodder - This is a great build thread! I just found it, and I have subscribed. I think your progress on the shoebox looks awesome. I like the way you closed in the rear floor pan in front of the notch - good fit. I look forward to seeing your future progress.

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!

Yeah,that was my first notchjob,i guess it could be few inches lower than it is.
    But i guess bagging it wont be a problem,if i ever decide to bag it...
    Its been pretty quiet with the build.My plan was to start fixing the passengers side quarter panels at this weekend.I bought set of them,but i got one wrong repairing panel..
    The seller was a decent guy and promised to send the correct one.
    So that will make some delay,but i got good time to clean up all the tar crap off the quarter panel.
    Which is pretty much done at the moment..

22. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Killer!!! Love it!!!!!

23. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Sweet build you got going on here.

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

25. Walle

Walle

Very nice craftsmanship!

Did you use the original bezels when you frenched the taillights? i've choosed to go with the same look on my 51 chevy with shoebox quarter pieces...

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    Yep,they are 49-50' bezels.The 51' lights are a bit wider than these earlier version lights.
    Personally i like the older ones better.At some point i need to get better bezels than those,there was broken mounting screws and such a small threads are pain in the ass to fix.
    I have to say that i didnt french them,that was done by THEKID49,before i bought it.

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I started the quarterpanel job.Lately i've done more cleaning the quarters from factory tar,than actual fabricating stuff.My tactic was to heat the quarters from outside with heatgun and cut it off with a puttyknife.Its just not wise to hammer the shit out of the quarters...
    It worked great:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like pretty solid to me,too bad that i cant say same thing about the lower parts of the quarter.
    One fellow shoeboxhamber send a PM to me while ago and asked about the dimensions of the inner rocker panel that i made in this project.
    Too bad that i dont remember all measurements for the points where i brake that panel.I've cut some sample pieces from the panel that i need to fab,that makes it really easy to duplicate the profile shape.

[​IMG]

I thought they were close enought,so i used them to patching the inner rocker.The inner rocker was worth to save,there was just pinholes and pitting on the lower parts.I also fixed the fenderwell..

[​IMG]

Now it needs some cleaning and primer before i can weld the patch panel on the body.

28. You do nice work Finnrodder. Oh, your going to put that jack stand under the axle before you weld that panel in i hope.:)

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man,

I have 4 of those jacks under the framerails and i checked it with anglefinder that its straight in all the way.Have i missed something or why under the axle?