Register now to get rid of these ads!

I never really believed that "barn finds" happened as frequently as they seem to...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RagtopBuick66, Mar 25, 2012.

1. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

My regularly scheduled Friday morning Post Office run lands me across the street from a local tire shop here in NC. As I was getting back into my van, out of the corner of my eye I spotted a Chevy 210 parked in the back of the parking lot at the tire shop. I "hunt" parts for a living, so I figured I would see if the owner needed any help tracking down trim, or interior pieces, or what-have-you, so across the street I went. (I know where there is a complete 1953 210 sitting in some weeds, and while the body is SHOT, it, too, is complete.)

He told me he was thinking about rat-rodding it, and that it was really only missing the headlight bezel on the passenger side (which I happen to have one of hanging on my wall above my work center). Other than that it was complete, has a professionally rebuilt straight 6, new reman carb, plugs, and wires, no rot ANYWHERE (and I mean ANYWHERE... floor pans, rockers, trunk, NONE), and it even had the original skirts and beauty rings with hubcaps in the trunk. Then he says he recently picked up another project and has lost interest in the old '53 210 4-door...

I asked him HYPOTHETICALLY how much he had to have for it, as I was sure he was going to throw me a number that was way out of my price range, at which point I would have said "well, nice car, and I have no doubt that you'll get what you're asking for it in the condition it's in", and left. Instead, he said "Well, I've gotta get at least what I've got into it, so I really can't go any lower than $600..."

I believe if I had gone for the cash I had in my pocket any faster I would have blown out the lining and bruised my knuckles on the pavement.

I handed him a $200 deposit and asked him to hang on to it for me for twenty minutes while I hit the ATM. He said "Sure! I'll go dig out the TITLE!"

THE TITLE!!! And here's the kicker... It was the original title, with the original owner's name on it, and I'm now officially the SECOND titled owner. It had changed hands a few times, but never registered. I'm AMAZED at the condition it is in. And now I get to build my rat rod. ;)

I guess sometimes "barn-finds" are found out behind old tire shops! I never did see any barn though...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. Beau

Beau

I wouldn't consider a 4 door 210 a "barn find" but it's a nice score none the less.

3. Cars are out there, in barns, beside barns, in fields and buried in the garage. You did good with yours, have fun.

4. cakes

cakes

FYI we don't build rat rods here, this is the HAMB. Erase that word from your vocabulary.
    Other than that good find

5. cruzr

cruzr

"And now I get to build my rat rod"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wrong site for R** R****

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

another FNG that doesn't know any better...and won't take time to sit back and listen and learn.

typical of our society

7. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Sorry if I offended anyone with the double R word, LOL. Consider it noted, and never to be used again. What is an acceptable term for what I plan to do with my 210 so that I don't get myself into any trouble here on the HAMB? (I'm a newbie here.)

8. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, note the winking smilie, ya think he's being sarcastic about the rat rod thang?

9. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, maybe I just stepped in it... What are you planning to do with this car?

10. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Planning to lower it just a little, perhaps more in the rear than the front, satin black paint, nothing fancy, and possibly a V8 engine swap. I have a fresh-built Buick 430 with a trans looking for a home, but that might get me more trouble on the install than I care to get into. I've got a set of old Fenton cyclone/turbines, 14" front, 15" rear that I actually took off of a 1953 210, so it's only fitting that they go back on one. Other than that, I'm leaning toward an oxblood interior, Mojave blanket seat covers, and taking my wife and son on some long Sunday drives. No sarcasm, just wanting to learn. I know this is the place to do it. There's more knowledge in here than anywhere, just hoping to make a few friends and bounce some ideas back and forth.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  11. Beau

Beau

National Chevy is a good place to get parts. A few of my buddys work there too.

If the engine is rebuilt, get it running! Plan on doing the brakes and gas lines too.

If it's what you REALLY want to own and build, it's gonna cost some money. I don't recommend buying it just cause it's cheap though.

12. screwball

screwball

No sarcasm, just wanting to learn. I know this is the place to do it. There's more knowledge in here than anywhere, just hoping to make a few friends and bounce some ideas back and forth.[/QUOTE]

To make friends here you should NEVER say RAT ROD never never never.

13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I've actually been looking for a 51-52 210 4-door for a while now. This was just a "right place, right time" thing. I'm no stranger to the financial burden of restoring a classic... Prior to this one I've restored 10 others, number 11 is in progress (a 66 Galaxie 500 I'm building for my son to own some day), and now this 53. Brakes are on the top of the list, since the pedal is on the floor. Tell-tale sign that something is, uh, not right. Then comes the door and trunk seals. The floor pans and trunk are all solid, would like to keep them that way. Then the 6v to 12v conversion, exhaust, and tires. I'd really like to get it road-worthy so I can work on the cosmetic aspect while using it as a driver. I think it could be a cool little ride in time, and quite frankly, I prefer the 4-door. Best of all, I think my son is going to love it. I'm raising him to admire classics, since nothing they crank out of the Tupperware factory today is going to be worth restoring someday. Pretty sure he'll carry my torch long after I'm gone.

14. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

As I stated above, the double R word does not exist. It has been deleted from my vocabulary. Done. Finished.

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They're just screwing with you..........at least SOME of them are. The rest seem to feel it's their lot in life to direct other people's activities.

A "rat rod" connotes a shabily built, unsafe, POS, unsuitable for being driven on the public highways. We on HAMB are into "Tradional" hot rods as built prior to 1964. Of course, some of the cars I recall being home-built back in the late-50's & early-60's were also shabily built, unsafe POS, unsuitable for being driven on public highways. :D

In any event, follow the other posts and learn what we're all about. Whatever you do to your car, do the best workmanship you can and use the best materials you can afford. I'f it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If you have any questions, ask away and someone here will explain it to you.

Above all, have fun !!

16. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

HEY! It looks like a bargain,Two door or four door REALLY how cares anymore? Looks like a fun car!

17. Well worth it since it has no rot, have fun with it.

Bob

18. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

How about you call it a mild custom...

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I like it. You Chevy guys are winning me over with these 50-53's

20. Willy301

Willy301

NOOOOOOO:eek: Tommy, say it ain't so!!!! Just kidding, I am a Ford guy at heart, but have learned to like them all. Not a bad find at all, and more doors can be tastefully done...since being a family man almost requires it to keep from getting the back of the seats in a 2 door torn up.

I would say it will have to be called a mild custom with your plans, and grammatically speaking, your direction for that car goes the opposite way of a R-- R--.

I will offer only a little advice, if the 6 is fairly fresh rebuild, get the thing running, get the stopping part worked out, put some tires on it and drive it a while. Then, when the Ford is done, then you will have a better, more thought out plan of the direction you want to go with the 210, and your funds won't be trying to clone themselves to cover 2 projects, and your car will be complete quicker. Plus you will have some good miles on the 6, and can confidently sell it as a good runner.... Just my 2 cents...although probably not worth that much....

21. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I'm actually a BUICK guy who would LOVE a 58 Roadmaster, but I'm a fan of all classic cars, any make, any model. I'm hoping I can turn this old 4-door into something special that my wife and son can enjoy too! Mild custom... I like that. Any thoughts on the Buick 430 powerplant swap?

22. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

My brother did one in a 41 Chevy. It fit, got decent mileage, and was dependable. We took it to the Western Nationals in 1980. Used a turbo 350 and a 55 chevy rearend.

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

How about you just make it run and drive nice, lower it a little and paint it a nice color and be done with it.

Cool find, price is decent, but it is a 4 door after all. It would make a nice family cruiser, don't make a mockery of it. The rat rod fad is over now anyway. (that's what I say everytime a noob comes to my house to buy parts and says they're "building a rat rod") I'm hoping if I say it enough it will come true.

24. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I think my biggest concern is going to be the transmission clearance in the tunnel. I'm not sure if the 69 Riv that this engine came from had the 350 or 400 attached to it, but either way, I'm sure it is much larger than the manual transmission that's in it now. On one hand, if I can get it to fit I'll a) have 12v coming from the alternator, b) automatic so the wife can drive it OCCASIONALLY c) more horsies than I'll ever need. PLUS, the engine is a recent refresh, not even any wear marks on the lifters or cam. NONE. Not so worried about the gas mileage. If I wanted gas mileage I'd customize a Prius... and then commit suicide. Motor mounts, well, I feel pretty confident that I can fab something up in the workshop, so that's not a real worry. Tranny mount, again, not a real worry there either. I can work up a crossmember in an afternoon. Driveshaft might be interesting, and a rear axle swap may be in order. I picked up the engine for $180, I can get the transmission for another $90, and I can pick up a rear axle of my liking for another $100. The big question is, do I really want to get into all this, especially with a rebuilt straight 6 under the hood already? Though a big ol' Buick 430 pushing through some glasspacks would be rather sweeeeeeet...

25. ^^^ I think you're going to fit in here just fine.

26. 1967gtafb

1967gtafb

yo Bro if you need a hand PM me I like the words Street Kustom's Yep i'm a FNG I got Some Places to Show you with some top of the line Street Kustom's

27. johnod

johnod

Are you kidding?
    You have a 64 Fairlane , one of the greatest looking cars of the 60s.

28. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Amen----

29. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Son, i remember the days on here where it wasnt a dirty word...... But then again the defintion hadnt taken its turn into ubsurd crap like that stuff is now

30. csimonds

csimonds

Good on you Brotha! That is a nice looking car you found yourself with a fantastic price tag! Keep us updated on your progress.
    Chuck