Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Brandywine" type paint sugestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JVK54, Mar 25, 2012.

1. JVK54

JVK54

I'm looking for a deep brandywine or dark cherry type paint that is NOT a candy. (Yes, I know there is no substitute for candy..but there is also no substitute for the skill or money it takes to do it right)..I've done a ton of web-searching and driving around dealer lots. Nissan has a pretty nice 2013 color..But the idea of putting Nissan factory paint on a 50 Chevy custom just bugs me a bit..not to mention I see it everywhere.So I'm looking for suggestions..because this will not have the translucence of a candy a slightly more blood red hue might work well. Thanks, Jesse.

2. robertsregal

robertsregal

take a look at 1980 GM montreux maron #wa7112 used alot on camaro-firebird this is a nice brandywine appearing color

3. wbulick76

wbulick76

Cadillac used a color through the 80's and 90's also.

4. Rande

Rande

Look at Jeep Sierra Pearl.

5. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

I was looking for the same type of color for my Mercury, then it drove rite past me on Friday. 2012 Lexus ,beautiful Brandywine.

6. JVK54

JVK54

The GM montreux maroon is not bad. But it looks a bit "flat" at least in the pics..I'm looking for something with a bit depth ..more of a red to black "flop" in it if that's possible.

7. I'm assuming ya went down to the paint store and went through there color swatches? or what about having em mix ya up something custom?

8. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Scion used to he a color I think they called black cherry that looked amazing in the sunlight but was basically black at night.

Honestly if you like the Nissan color go with it.

9. JVK54

JVK54

The 2009 Lexus Brandywine isn't bad.
    [​IMG]

10. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Some of the foreign cars use a tri-coat system of paint that gives them a candy effect. Its basically a transparent color coat over the base color, and they can be hard to match with small touch ups, not nearly as difficult as candy, but something to keep in mind.

11. Weasel

Weasel

I have been working with a custom painter on producing a mix for my 1940 Willys that is more of a rich cranberry. We have come up with several different colors in the rich red thru Brandywine to almost almost black cherry spectrum. By using pure toners he has been able to produce some non pearl, metallic, non candy colors with an amazing color shift. There is no milkiness or cloudiness, no side cast - just color shift on pure and clean, deep and rich colors. The results are stunning and have achieved my aim not to use any kind of metallic paint on a pre WWII car....

12. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

I love Honda's "Basque Red Pearl" that they used recently on several models. Here it is on a couple of Accords:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 2001 Buick Lesabre has a cranberryish color that really pops, we just bought one.

14. It's just the color you want. It won't turn a chevy into a nissan. This is a nissan color that looks like crap on a nissan

15. badlefihand

badlefihand

Was checking eastwood and they have a Black Cherry.Cheaper paint but worth a peek.

16. Mid 70's Chrysler had a color called Vintage Red Metallic that was a darker cherry red that was really nice. I think Caddy had a firemist red also.

17. coupemerc

coupemerc

1995-96 Impala SS. I think it is called Black Cherry metallic

18. flthd31

flthd31

Attached Files:

19. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

My favorite color: 1963 Ford Heritage Burgundy
    it has a tiny gold flake in it that you cant even see unless youre pressing your face against it!
    Here are a few of examples that the pics dont do it justice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

My Nova SS painted PPG candy Brandywine

Attached Files:

21. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I would definitely go with a new car paint and you will find many great brandywine colors whether the car is from Germany, Japan or the US. Who cares what the factory mix color is and where it comes from?

The nice thing is you get the color you want and it will be easy to repair if necessary.

I wouldn't worry about seeing that same color on other autos around either. It will look completely different on your vintage car and will look great I am sure.

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

Check out HD's Lava Red Sunglo

AHotRod likes this.
  23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

The SAAB ~2003 Merlot is really nice. Used on the 9-3, maybe the 9-5. It has metallic in it, I think, but not much. Wifes' favorite color. Stunning w/the cream interior. Nice in the shade, killer in the sun.

Marcus...

24. EEEEK! late model imports RUN!!!!!! lol sorry I just had to put that out there lol

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Pontiac had a real rich looking black cherry or wine color in 1967 - 69. We painted several cars that color in the early 80s and every one looked good in it, even a VW beetle. I always thought it would look good on a custom, it had a kind of early 50s look to it. Not gaudy like a lot of colors in the muscle car era.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep looking at a 2012 Subaru wagon that is Black Cherry Pearl that looks pretty interesting as I've been hunting a similar color.
    There is also a burgundy on 2012 Lincolns that looks great.

Still probably the best thing is to make a trip down auto row and find a color you like. Then go back and see what it looks like under the lights to make sure it looks right then too.

27. Scion has a Black Cherry Mica that is awesome.

28. lukey

lukey

The brandywine on this moulding is a 73-76 amc color. Cant remember the code, but its a pretty color imo.

-LUKEY-

Attached Files:

29. Finally a legit reason to post a pic of my OT roadster. Corvette did a one year only color called "Ruby Red" for their 40th anniversary model (Ruby is the stone for the fortith wedding anniversary) that I always liked.

[​IMG]

30. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

HAHAHAHA...

You must mean RUN (to them? :D )!

FWIW: SAAB also sold a version of Chevys' Suburban. Had a better looking nose, & esp a better dash. Used the same color. Can't remember what the #/letter designation was. So we're safe here, using that color. :D . 'Sides, the paint doesn't know what it's on... :) .

Marcus...