Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alodine....again....dry times?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbyD, Mar 25, 2012.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

I got all my supplies from Spruce Goose in the other day, had a shit load of 94's disassembled , glassbeaded, air dry, repeat til clean water at end, you get the idea, anyway I tried it 2-1 mix as recommended, and some "straight-up".
    Here's the problem, soak for 30 seconds to 5 minutes, instructions say immediately rinse, so I do and promptly rinse the coating right off. I prepped them with metal prep, hell they look good "raw"! Should I let the "air dry" a few minutes before rinsing? What am I doing wrong?
    I have read a ton of post on here so I did my homework, seems everyone is a little vague as to drying.

2. oj

oj

Which alodine did you get? There is more than one and they have different color. Aside from that, i mixed it with water as reccommended (a long time ago) and decided not to mix it anymore.
    Best to rinse it even with moderate color, the film that remains will powder up and make things kinda nasty - i don't believe it will affect the carb operation but when you take it apart the next time you'll look at the gaskets etc and wonder where all the pollen came from until you remember you didn't rinse.
    I just hit it with carb cleaner when i pull the basket out of the alodine, my water is a ways away but i have used it too - kinda messy operation - and let air dry.
    I find that alodine gets old quick and the color goes away.

3. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may be rinsing too vigorously! :D When I did my teapots, I used two cheap stock pots from the Dollar store. One for the Alodine, the other for the rinse water. I just dipped my clean, dry parts in the Alodine for a couple of minutes (till they had a brownish look). Then I did a quick dip in the rinse water just long enough to take off the excess Alodine. After the quick rinse, I placed the parts on newspaper to dry in the sunlight. Drying time varied depending on the air temperature. After drying, my teapot parts had a greenish brown tinge. :)

4. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

OJ. I'm using the henkel brand from Goose, number 1201. Any more thoughts on this would be good, I'm almost ready to leave the beaded look, after a go threw the metalprep they look great like that!!

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I don't know what you did wrong. I just bead blasted and dunked the bodies into a solution of 1/3 Alodine and 2/3 water for like 20 seconds and pulled them out blew the excess off with air and let them dry. The carb bodies were stained more than coated. I did not use any metal prep. I don't know it the metal prep prevented the alodine from staining the metal or not but I did not use it. I got the bronzish color that I wanted on my Rochester's. I can't imagine it washing off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was my first attempt using undiluted alodine... I did not like the outcome. It looked almost fuzzy.

[​IMG]

Even though I used the same solution and timed the dip precisely you can see that there are slight variations in color. I think this has something to do with the alloy of the different parts but the rebuilt Rochester's that I got at the parts houses in the 60s didn't have perfectly matched colors either.

You may want your 94s to be less bronze. You can play with the ratio of alodine to water to get different shades. More water = less intense color. Trial and error is the only way to get the color that you want.

I used plastic a bucket and I poured the solution back into a plastic jug in case I ever do any more. Fortunately I wrote the ratio on the jug with a sharpie. I had to go out to the garage to check.

6. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Hey Tommy, thanks for the reply, those 'Chesters are the color tone I am after. I tried a few last night with a little better results, will post some pic;s this evening, BobbyD