Register now to get rid of these ads!

FOUND! '55 Gasser "SATISFACTION" 2 Door Post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trksmth, Mar 24, 2012.

1. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Mike,
    Thanks fo the complement. That is my SOMEDAY car. I give new meaning to the word slow...

Like the Satisfaction with two fours and fenderwell headers...

2. Butch M

Butch M

This going to be cool love them old gassers

3. trksmth

trksmth

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about the video this morning and I was going to see if Scott could help me on this.

I watch his build on "Deuce High" and loved how he did the build. (That old look)

I was told it was raced in Tennessee. But I didn't want to miss lead anyone. I know that's where the video was from.

Great info, should help me put the peaces back together.

Thanks again,
    Mike

4. Madillac

Madillac
    from Tonka, MN

Did I see Satisfaction on ebay for a while? Its cool that it is coming to an area that someday I can see it in person.

5. I was thinking the same thing. Cool project!

6. mtrhead

mtrhead

Great find.. Always good to see a 55 gasser build..

7. ratster

ratster

i just told scott abot the post on here

8. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

Man I really hate to see that someone cut the car ("Satisfaction") up like they did but the car was in very bad shape but it did have a shit load of history here in East Tenn. My dad bought the car out of a field sort of as a joke since I was building Deuces High at the time. After I finished "DEUCE" we were sitting at his house and I told him I wanted to get it running and he started laughing and said "what the hell for?" I told him just so it could get back out into the eye of the public once again. He wanted to know what my plans were for it. I said hell I don't know but it would be cool. He would not drive it. In the video posted he was driving the DEUCE and I was driving Satisfaction. I will try to get back on here later to see what is up with this

Damn it really bugs the shit outta me that someone butchered it like this!!!!

Rich thanks for calling me to tell me about this thread.

9. biscaynes

biscaynes

too bad, there's enough repro parts out there to save almost any tri five :(

10. trksmth

trksmth

Hey Scott,
    when I read the description on e-Bay for that frame. I thought it was a sin.

But with you guys on here to give the info, of what it was, I can only hope we can bring her back to life.

But, I can't do this with out all the history. So if you give me your time, I'll do everything to make it happen.

This is what I did for the THUMPERS B/COMP COUPE
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402901&highlight=thumpers+car+club&page=6

Hope this will show I want to save the history of these COOL cars!

Scott, I watched what you did with yours, my hats off to you, I wouldn't change a thing!

Thanks Scott, hope your down with this. Mike

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  11. trksmth

trksmth

Do you or anybody think its not going to be the same car if we just re-tub this thing?

I think this is a great match, my tub, Satisfaction's front clip, core support, grille, seats, deck lid, gas tank w/straps, steering wheel, steering column w/box, brake & clutch peddles, straight axle, all three leaf springs, motor mounts, tranny cross-member, latter bars, Olds rear axle w/gears, chassis, quarter panel w/ lettering and misc. parts.

Scott, you know how bad it was, John said, there was nothing to work with. Do you think the a new tub is going to hurt it?

I'm willing to give it a HELL of a try. Mike

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  12. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

Mike I know you don't want to hear this but in my opinion the history is now gone from the car I have talked to the original family (the grandson) and they told me about the bullet holes in the car that he put there and alot of other stories. The only way that history would stay with the car is if you had the remainder of what was left of the body to show with the car which is what I intended to do with the car until the economy took a dump on us. My dad traded it off (I can't blame him for what he traded for) and I couldn't afford to buy it. Did you get the roll bar with the frame? It was one of the coolest pieces of the car!!!!!

I will help you in any way I can with the car I have a lot of pics of the car before I started doing anything to it. Keep in touch my email is [email protected].

13. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

Mike are the body parts for sale????

14. trksmth

trksmth

Hey Scott,

I tell you what, I'll give you the Quarter panel as wall art after I have the lettering copied, if you can help me with the history.

As for the fiberglass parts, John said, they are very thin on top and need some work.

I planned on using everything, to keep it as complete as possible. I too am sad that the body is gone. But hope to tint my body faded blue to keep that old look.

I need to know what time line we'll be working with, as for the year it was in it's prime. Like what engine, tranny, rims, intake, headers and misc. stuff that made her "Satisfaction"

As for the roll bar, I don't think it was saved, but I'll check on it. as long as someone has pics of it, I'll build it to match if I have too.

As any stories you can share, we would all enjoy hearing them.

Thanks Mike

15. trksmth

trksmth

I checked out your car, NICE!

16. S.F.

S.F.

Thats so F'd up someone cut it up....wow, just running in '08...now its a pile of parts? crazy

17. trksmth

trksmth

Ya, I think these are from '08...
    Maybe rusty as you can really see in picture # 5, but I think she was cool as hell!

Attached Files:

18. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

19. Abomb

Abomb

Yes, it is not the same car... when a major component such as the body, the engine, in the case of a race car, the roll bar, goes missing, (you're missing all 3 of those things I mentioned) or is changed out, what you have left is parts...not a car

I'm not sure you have enough to call it "Found! 55 gasser Satisfaction".....You have the remnants, but it will never be "the car called Satisfaction".

I'm not sure it qualifies as "found" either, you bought a chassis off of ebay, from a car that was running down the strip less than 5 years ago....

Don't get me wrong, you should build a kick ass car out of these bits and pieces, but I don't think you have much reason to try and recreate the Satisfaction car....just build what you want.

20. rgaller

rgaller

Well said.

21. trksmth

trksmth

Well if everybody feel this way, than I'll quit wasting your time now.

So I wasted my money on a nothing chassis, because I all ready had an Olds rear end, Latter bars, '41 ford straight axle, seats, one peace fiberglass front end and three parts cars?

I know my track WILL NOT let a car that rusty run on it.

So if I would of bought the whole car, put a new one peace floor, new doors, two new quarters, new blue Lexan windows, save the roof, and new paint, then that would be "SATISFACTION"? Sorry, you could NOT give me that car!

Sad that these car can get so rusty, but sadder to see them get crushed!

Well if using all savable parts doesn't qualify, I wont use the name on her. But give me a chance to save her and see what she looks like back together.

Sorry, I don't like restored gassers with history, I like survivors.

Ya, you hit a nerve, hope somebody gives me a chance.

Mike

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  22. Abomb

Abomb

Apparently my first three paragraphs pissed you off enough that you didn't bother to read the fourth one...

You're not wasting my time, and I'm not trying to piss you off. I'm saying that, in my opinion, you don't have enough of the original car to even consider it a "survivor" or a restored gasser with "history". In my opinion, you're falling for a bunch of popular catch phrases of the day to describe what you want to do, but, you are actually building a new car with used parts, and there's nothing wrong with that.

23. S.F.

S.F.

Im not trying to piss anyone off at all, but I gotta say...I totally agree with you. You could build a rad car and call it what you want (and it will have parts from satisfaction) and it would be even cooler knowing it has true survivor parts on it. With the stash you have it will be a nice car either way. Weather you name it satisfaction or not; every race you go to you can say "this has the so and so from the original satisfaction on it"

24. trksmth

trksmth

OK,Ok,

Lets vote now, DELETE the post because I'm using Found! "Satisfaction" or not?

So we just let "SATISFACTION", DIE here and NOW!

I am not mad at no one here or pissed off. I thought people would want to see a car be saved from her last dying breath and be happy someone cared.

Well Scott, you make the call, no more Satisfaction?

25. trksmth

trksmth

I'll check back in 24 hours you guys decide. Mike

26. Abomb

Abomb

I don't think there's any reason to delete anything, but my point here is that you aren't saving a car at all, you're building a new car, from used parts...and that's a good thing...don't get caught up in "historical" this, and "survivor" that...those are just catch phrases these days. Unless this car has some real historical significance, like Stone Woods and Cook type significance, there's not enough of it left to consider it a "save". Actually, no matter what the history of the car is, I don't consider what you bought to be a "car", I consider it to be parts.....Look up the discussion of the Buddy Holly 58 chevy that was pulled from auction because it was "re-bodied" and you'll see where I'm coming from.

If you feel the need, you could start a completely new thread on your new 55 gasser build...there are people who want to see it happen, me included....but you can do it in this thread too, I don't care. There's no need to take a "take my ball and go home" attitude.

27. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Whatever you do PAINT it,
    the man that build it the first time didn't say,
    Oooh I'm going for the rust look.....
    I'm sure he had pride in the fact that it looked good clean and shiny...

just my two pennys worth......

28. S.F.

S.F.

I think original satisfaction parts should be used in the building of a new gasser, call it satisfaction II possibly? Im not knocking the situation, I think its cool to use real parts on new builds....Like my current build has old hot rod parts on it from different old hot rods...it gives it mojo. Makes it cool to me because all the parts have history.

29. S.F.

S.F.

Agree

30. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

Mike don't delete the thread by any means!!!! I am glad that you are trying to save it. Actually my intentions for the car if I could have gotten it back was to leave it as it was. I have another 55 that I was gonna build as Satisfaction in it's Glory Days and use the original as research to copy that way we could say what it use to be and what some one let happen to it. I didn't know that you were getting the body with the car as well and I want to apologize to you on that But if you are getting the body to show with the car so that everyone understands why it had to be replaced then this is a different story to me. I really like that you are gonna bring it back like we did a few years ago. The car was too scary to drive fast that is why we weren't going very fast in the video. We had too many people say the car was a goner and wouldn't make it down the track so we had to prove the old saying about "old Chevy's never die"!!!! This car brought up alot and I mean ALOT of old drag racing stories and I have some cool old racing pics from it's prime that I would gladly share with you. It was a blast in Bowling Green in '08 or '09 at the Hot Rod Reunion when we had it in Memory Lane. Alot of people would look in disbelief when they walked by and then in pure shock when I drove it through the pits with the 427 sounding off. There was a few said "OH MY GOSH look at that it does run!!!" Yes the fiber glas is very thin I even had to brace up the hood because the weight of the scoop was causing it to sink about 3-4 inches in the middle.the trunk lid is almost paper thin and you can almost see through it. The fenders held up pretty good but have quite a bit of cracking on them.

Keep it going Mike I will help anyway I can. But just please when it's done be honest with everyone about the car and tell them about the body and don't do like so many others and stretch the story just for glory, fame, and $$$$.

I will even find out which issue of car craft the car was in while we had it together.

Scott